xisto Community
stevey

I wanna download linux but which distribution to choose.

Hey please reply to this as fast as you can coz i wanna download linux today overnight, so will some one tell me which distribution of linux i should go for there are like a hundred for them so please tell me which is the best one.

yep thanks i already got that site, i appreciate it, but there are soooooooooo many versions of it, i would like to know which one i should choose.

stevey, make a random pick :( every linux user has great things to say about
their particular distribution package they use, so agreeing on which to choose
would be an endless debate. :P download one (any one) and see if you can be
comfortable in installing and running it.

but i would suggest you make further research on linux as well as
hardware compatibility lists from each of the distributors. :P then download
that which you suppose can handle your hardware. :angry: just needs time though. :(

also read:
from http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
====
Which Distribution Is The Best?
Yeah, right. The best distribution is whichever one that You think is best. I suggest that you install and try as many different distributions as you can. Not only will you learn some things about Linux in general, you'll also discover some things about Linux in particular, like which one is best for you.
====

i prefure you use mandrake, readhat, or fedora, anything that comes with a destop enviroment, or you will be clueless if you used Debian.Mandrake is probably the easiest to install

I don't have Linux, but I've heard Red Hat and Mandrake are good for newbies. I believe Knoppix can be burned to a CD and run from there, so that may be convenient for you. If you don't mind shelling out a little money, you may want to buy a Red Hat or Mandrake CD (or however they're distributed. Like I said, I don't have Linux... yet :P).

Its supposibly 1337. I'd rather just not bother with setuping a different OS. Anyway my whole network uses windows so it'd be impossible to work with. And seeing i play a lot of games they all wouldnt run on linux

linux is preety good os, better than windows...for programers, graphic and web designers, linux is better, if you prefer games, then use windows...or use both os on hard drive...both are working stable

When i get my new computer i'm going to put Linux onto it for my webdesign and graphic design.. its not going to be as my current one that i use for games mostly :P

This question is asked all the time...It all depends on the user actually..You should download as many distros as you can until you find the right one that you like :PI prefer linux for servers..