xisto Community
FreedomOverdose

Cannot Open My Site

Hi everyone. Sometimes, I cannot connect with my site, neither ftp, ping, etc. This happens everyday, and sometimes, as a miracle, doesn't happen. This also happens with a friend of mine with the same ISP. I contacted my ISP, and they told me that there must be a prob with the server, not the ISP itself. Do you have any ideas? Thanks in advance, Alexbtw, proxy browsing sucks! :lol:

You most likely have a dynamic IP address. This means that each time you connect to the internet, an IP address is randomly assigned to your computer. This would explain why sometimes you can access your website and sometimes you cannot. Several of the IPs that you can have would be banned and several aren't. It would also explain why your friend is unable to access the website at times - as you have the same pool of IPs to use. As IP bans are usually created due to incorrect login attempts, check that all your programs have the correct passwords so you don't keep getting banned (although it may have been someone else on the ISP who got banned!)As for being able to access the website at current, I'm not sure what the best method is but it's probably easiest to simply use a proxy rather than getting all the IPs unbanned.

I Also Cannot Open My site!!

It says This!!

Bandwidth Limit ExceededThe server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.
Apache/1.3.41 Server at daftpunk.trap17.com Port 80

How Will i fix this??

do i need more credits or something?

I Also Cannot Open My site!!
It says This!!

Bandwidth Limit Exceeded
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.
Apache/1.3.41 Server at daftpunk.trap17.com Port 80

How Will i fix this??

do i need more credits or something?

May be because you really have reached the limit! Did you have big files on server. Even 5mb? Because I had the same fate as yours with another host. I just waited, because they even temporarily closed my account. Kinda weird, Isn't it. After one month I quickly logged on to my cpanel to
see what exactly happened. The first thing, I checked the logs. To my HORROR.... something called backstreet browser, a kind of bot may be, has repeatedly downloaded around 50 mb of files I had! That person would have really got that much speed to suck up the bandwidth in 5 days! :lol: .
Edited by pasten (see edit history)

@FreedomOverdose: perhaps you can ask your ISP for the Preferred (Primary) and Alternate (Secondary) DNS Server Addresses they use. these IPs you can then use to configure your modem settings, so that when it tries to connect to your domain, the chances of your experiencing problems getting directed to your site is minimized.

@daftpunk: you have to wait for the 1st day of the following month to have your bandwidth reset. that's usually a problem if you have a very active site (or have an active set of downloadables as pasten pointed out above), so if you exceeded your monthly bandwidth allotment, there's nothing much you can do but wait. OR move to a paid hosting with a higher monthly bandwidth package. :lol: (try our sister hosting site for paying customers: https://xisto.com/)

@others who may experience same issues: you can always contact the experts at https://support.xisto.com/ (read instructions here)

No ISP will admit to customers that they are facing a simple problems as keeping a steady connection.

If you cannot see or connect to your website using your ISP but you can see your site using a proxy service, it's one of two things: 1) your current ISP's IP was placed under the ban list 2) your ISP has TTL limit where if it takes longer than XXX ms to connect it automatically cuts the connection.

To find out if you are getting longer to connect, simply PING your domain name with the option -t and see the results. You can output your entire ping result by doing the simple output to file option (or >> filename.txt will work, DOS and command prompt users know what I'm talking about)

Post your average connection time to the board and see if it's within the range. I've seen some people with 1800ms and that's not acceptable.