xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kudmus

Google Going Back In Time

Guy can you believe this guy? He wrote a blog speculating that google was about to use their old algorithms. In a blog titled "Google to go back in time" he says:

Warning, this post is speculative, but I think all signs point to what I am about to describe. Google may be about to launch a search tool that uses the same algorithms used way back in 2001. Why would they do this? I think its probably the best way for them to show how far search technology has come in 7 years.

Now why do I think they are about to do this? Google just changed their robots.txt file the file that webmasters use to tell robots which parts of their website should or shouldnt be indexed by search engines. The newly added entry prevents search engines from indexing the url https://www.google.com/search2001/query currently still unavailable.

Disallow: /search2001/search?

In addition to that entry, Google also recently added an entry for /newspapers which leads me to believe they may be trying to index newspapers like they have been doing with books that could be interesting too.

He avoided people questioning him y including that "warning..."

Do you really think this guy has enough facts to make us believe him? What so special about the old algorithms anyway?

Now that is very interesting, especially the fact they allow users to only search for websites that were running back in 2001 and I find it especially fun to see what websites look like way back when as well. Of course I only can imagine that engineering they had to do in order to get that specific in their search results though.

But where are my lolcats!? I can't has cheezburger? What do you mean there's no youtube!? Why are there no results for Xisto hosting? Why does this was a triumph only return results for boat racing and cricket!? No matches for kongregate? But 27 thousand results for neopets? Why is does gmail = GNOME mail!? Where are my explosm comics?

I DON'T LIKE IT! :lol:

Edited by Nabb (see edit history)

Thanks miladinoski. I didn't know that. In fact I never tried it. I went there now and I had some fun.

I find it especially fun to see what websites look like way back when as well.

Exactly! It's fun and that's why they made it. I think it's a good thing for them that guys like u and me are loving it.

But where are my lolcats!? I can't has cheezburger? What do you mean there's no youtube!? Why are there no results for Xisto hosting? Why does this was a triumph only return results for ...

...hold it there. Don't you think you're looking for the wrong things in the wrong places. This thing is not made for you to use as a default search engine. It's for you to have fun by going back in time.

The first thing I noticed was the lack of ads!I think I might just keep using it :lol:The scariest thing is to realise that I was using google 'search engines' even before google...or netscape or any any graphic browser was available.Lynx I think it was called....all text based 'browsing'..Ahh the nostalgia ?:?kJ