xisto Community
TCracker

Having Problems Connecting To The Internet Etc. On Another Laptop

I have a wireless modem that works fine on the laptop i am currently using, but I recently tried to use the same device on a different laptop, an older one. Now, the problem is that the modem doesn't register as a modem on the laptop, I can't connect to the internet and as a matter of fact there isn't a signal even when the modem is plugged in. I checked for issues and in the command prompt it says:Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection: Media disconnectedEthernet adapter Wireless Network connection: Media disconnected ( I understand why, because of where I live)What could the problem possibly be, what else should I check and why can't I connect to the internet even with a functional modem? Am I missing something?

Edited by TCracker (see edit history)

Are you talking about a ubs wireless modem? because I know that such a device should create its own connection.This means that if your cmd shows only your LAN and your WLAN the modem is not connected.What kind of message do you receive when you plug it in?Also ... what does your cmd show when you run ipconfig when the modem is connected on the laptop that on which it works (the newer one).

Edited by EinReaper (see edit history)

have you installed the modem?If its a USB device it will need to be installed by using the disk you got with the device (or google the make and model of the device with the word "drivers" and you will find a driver download) Once installed it should show up.If it is an RJ45 or an ethernet modem/device check that the network card on the old laptop actually works. Try connecting it to the new laptop (using a crossover cable) and check for connectivity. (or if you have some other network device like a hub or something try that.) the goal is to make sure the network card works. If it DOES work then the problem lies either with the modem or the cable used to connect it (probably) if the card DOESNT work (IE no network connection to ANY device) then the problem is obviously the network card.

Need help on buying a new laptop!!Having Problems Connecting To The Internet Etc. On Another Laptop

hey there! I need help on buying a new laptop.. Any recommendation on the best laptops lately??? and I need the battery stamina to be long..Maybe up to 6 hours.. And also I'm on tight budget!! pls help me.. Thanks..

-question by Teengirl

If you're using a Wireless Modem and want to connect another laptop to it, your doing it wrong. It is pointless connecting two laptops on one modem, however you can do that if your modem has a router function.Need to know the following information:Modem name / Brand:ISP (Internet Service Provider):OS of two laptops:Then I will be able to help you with your problem.