xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
bluedragon

Windows Xp Sp2 Restarting After Some Time

Hi , I dont know what happened but My system restarts after a few Minutes (at max an hour). Can someone guess what might be wrong. It displays a System Shutdown Timer (initiated by Administrator) and then restarts after 60 sec. This is an SP2 so I dont think its a blaster. I have a ZoneAlarm Security Suite and it didn't detect anything. I even Scanned my Windows folder from Kaspersky using my Second OS (Vista) but that also didn't detect anything . .. Any guesses ??

If the system processes like CSRSS.EXE or some SVCHOST.EXE processes terminated,

the system will displays the timer and shutdowns.

May be some system critical processes are terminating without your knowledge, it may be

due to some virus or something else. First look at your running processes....you'll get some idea.

But after googling your problem, I found that installing zone alarm causes computer to restart in some

systems. May be you have the same problem. Follow this link installing zonealarm causes system to restart

Usually the most common cases your computer case is generating enough heat that it restarts the system in order cool down, and so you shold check several things. First check to see what can of dust is in your case and then blow it out with an air can. Next remove the fan over your processor and see if their is any thermal paste on your processor and if there isn't any on the processor or the fan over the processor, and so go to your local computer shop or purchase some at newegg and apply a small amount and see if that would help. Before you do that what I suggest you do a system check through your computer by rebooting you computer and in the boot menu select the diagnostic option and do a full scan and see if any memory errors show up. Then do a check disk and system file check through command prompt by typing Chkdsk and for the system file checker read up on the information from this link on what do https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/310747.

Now you done all that and still have this problem back up any stuff you have and do a reinstallation of your computer.

Thanks all :lol:I didn't have any important files on my C drive so I formatted the drive .. Fixed now.. though I still want to know what caused the problem .. @Saint Michael -- My case is open.. No chance of heating/over-heating .. My room temperature is generally around 30-35 deg Celsius and hence processor temp is around 38-40 deg onlyanyways.. I dont think it was a hardware problem since otherwise my other system would also be behaving in a similar fashion , which is not the case. My Vista was running properly. I've formatted the drive .. Thanks for the Support Link.. Proved helpful to one of my friend ^_^----------------------------------------@ XpressThanks for the concern but I dont think my system was infected.. Though I was also thinking of the same but I scanned it using two different anti-virusKaspersky 2009 and ZoneAlarm Security Suite 7Dont think I've seen a Virus pass through both the Anti-virus'NEways .. Since you gave me that link I've uninstalled the ZoneAlarm now.. Just to be on the safe side .. Though I seriously like the way they've put it up but then I cant risk loosing data again. I've got two projects going on now .. :D==========I am still looking for the exact possible cause . .. If anyone still has different theories pls list them.. ==========

Just a general note if anything similar happens in the future, you can usually type shutdown -a in the command prompt (or even from the run box) to abort the shutdown. This allows you extra time finding help without having a reboot every few minutes. However since the shutdown was initiated, it may mean that some necessary windows programs were closed and you would be unable to perform some tasks (such as saving a file).I have no input on the case itself ;p

My searching hasn't found any results just a bunch of programs to set up your computer to have an auto time, I would suggest trying a repair installation or if need be send in a support ticket to Microsoft about your problem if it hasn't been fixed yet.

Thanks Saint Michael .. I fixed it by reinstalling it. Also I removed ZoneAlarm , It was not worth the risk. I had installed a hotFix from microsoft that had a conflict with ZoneAlarm. I later realized , that could have been one reason.Its strange how Microsoft releases HotFixes that have conflicts with other important softwares on your system. And moreover there was no warning on the Microsoft's site. I read about the conflict on ZoneAlarm's website. I wish I could stop using Windows ..

Edited by bluedragon (see edit history)

hey my PC also restarts frequently...but the good thing is i know the problem...and the bad thing is i am not able to solve it....The problem started when i installed a new LAN card in my PC.... Initially i thought it was some virus...but when my PC started restarting on while using utorrent or while playing LAN game or transferring heavy data on LAN...i understood it was because of the LAN card....but i haven't found any way out except for changing the LAN card....I think it is some kind of hardware incompatibility in my PC ...So there are so many reasons for a BSOD which causes the restart......

Hi bluedragon,This seems to be a service that had a problem starting. If you have a look at your services in administration tools you will see that each service has a recovery tab. It has a 1st 2nd and 3rd failure and an action for each, it's possible that a service was failing and the last action was to restart the computer. This explains the restart countdown.Just a thought :P But I suppose we'll never know for sure :)

restarts frequentlyWindows Xp Sp2 Restarting After Some Time

fixed it by reinstalling it. Also I removed All Virus by Zero level Formating

-feedback by Ramesh Kumar

delay in booting xp2Windows Xp Sp2 Restarting After Some Time

Hi...!

my pc takes along time to start loading xp2. When I switch on the cpu first it runs and then again it restarts for the second time and then loads successfully . What would be the reason pls tell me ...?

-reply by Rajesh