xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Saint_Michael

Run Firefox Like Chrome

You could say I was a bit surprise that this didn't come to mind in terms of browsers mimicking others, even though you can theme to make them look like other browsers. Thus the reason for this topic and that is making firefox act like Chrome through a few plugins.

Stealther

This extension is supposed to mimic incognito browser so now you can do all your secret evil things in firefox now without being caught.

Download Statusbar

I am a big fan of this extension and been using it for a few months now and so its benefits are very useful and you won't get that download window popping up on you.

Locationbar? 1.0.3

All this extension does is highlight the main url and to help prevent spoofing. I know IE8 and Chrome use it built into the browsers, not to sure on Opera has something similar.

Speed Dial

If your an Opera user you should know this extension very well and basically its mini browsers within a browser and thus cutting out the use for tabs entirely.

Prism

With this extension basically you doing what Chrome and IE8 are doing and making a whole new process and so you wouldn't have to worry about firefox crashing and losing everything. Although it don't really matter since firefox has a good recovery system and should be able to recover most data.

Resizeable Textarea

Although I am somewhat familiar with this extension chrome has this built in and I be making a topic about tips, tricks and Easter eggs about Chrome shortly. As for the extension itself basically you turn a small text area into a large one by dragging from one of its corners and so if your commenting on something and the text area is small you can make it bigger.

Peer's

Now I am big fan of this extension because of hte fact you can expand the search function even more in firefox and you can get the first 8 results based on your keywords.

So if your not a fan of Chrome, like me, then you can at least mimic it until another version of Chrome comes out.

SOURCE

http://lifehacker.com/5044518/enable-chromes-best-features-in-firefox

Awesome!I just threw these into Firefox and I love seeing no obvious differences other than the highlighting. Stealther is hidden as an option under Tools and has no obnoxious icons; Prism does the same; DownloadStatusBar kills that annoying Download window that pops up after EVERY download... pretty slick.Thanks for sharing SM. I really need to look at LifeHacker more often... seems like a pretty neat site.Note: For some reason, trying to install Prism doesn't work at all for me. Firefox notes that one add-on has been installed, but it's nowhere to be found. It doesn't come up under the list of extensions and it isn't present under Tools.

Edited by rayzoredge (see edit history)

I thought I would throw in a small update to the chrome to firefox look as another article on life hacker updates the look by adding four more extensions and a theme. However, one of the extension requires windows vista because of the aero effect it has.

ChromiGlass

This is the extension that requires vista and sadly though, the creator don't want to support XP even though the rearranging of the tabs would be needed.

UPDATE!! Although you don't get the glass effect you do get to move the tabs up top.

New Tab Button on Tab Right

With this extension it simplifies adding a new tab and if you look at how Internet Explorer has the add new tab tab, you click that and a new tab is open, most of the major browser support this without the need to add it on, but now you can do this with firefox.

Personal Menu

With this extension it compacts the whole menu bar and puts all the commands under one menu.

Show Go

Sad the God Button went in Firefox three? Well this extension brings it back, yeah!!

Dom Inspector

Most firefox users should be familiar with this extension so there isn't much to say about it really

Chromifox

This is the the theme change makes Foxfire look like Chrome, more or less.

So now the list includes 10 extensions, 9 if your not running vista and so now you have Chrome browser with the security of the Firefox browser

SOURCE

http://lifehacker.com/5059213/turn-firefox-into-a-google-chrome-clone

Edited by Saint_Michael (see edit history)

Cool.. I am sure going to have some fun with these plugins. After all I am a big fan of firefox even if it sucks sometimes... :lol:. I am purely in for the test drive.I expect some of these features to become part of the next version of Firefox by default and do not want to hang over with extensions. That being said... I will try these extensions and give my feedback... so that when it becomes part of firefox, its as expected and works.

All this stuff is just Run Firefox Like Chrome

The extensions modify the external functionality of Firefox to mimic Chrome, but the real advantages of Chrome -- faster Javascript, better security model, tabs running as separate processes -- are missing.

-reply by fxfuji