xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Manly man

Sleep Paralysis Having any of you had experiences with this?

A few years ago I had an awful nightmare in which I was lying in my bed, unable to move with strange presences around me. After about five minutes of this I was suddenly able to move. My conclusion at the time was that I had had a bad dream about not being able to move and then I'd woken up.

A few days ago I was doing some reading on the internet and found out about a condition called 'Sleep Paralysis' in which the body causes paralysis to prevent an awakening sleeper from hurting themselves. During this time of paralysis (lasting from a few seconds to a few minutes) most people are still in a dream state and experience visual hallucinations or a sinister air in the room.

I'm assuming I have this. What I found even more odd and distressing for me when I experienced sleep paralysis was the fact that I felt as though my body was moving (an experience caused by intense pressure on muscles) and I felt as though I was climbing out of bed repeatedly.

I don't know how many other people here have experienced this but I'm amazed something so mildly confusing (in my case) to down right terrifying (in the case of people who experience open eye hallucination) has so little coverage by the media and I'd like to get some other people's thought and ideas on the subject. :)

Also, there's a good example of sleep paralysis caused by Narcolepsy on YouTube at this link. It really puts my Sleep Paralysis worries in the shade:
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Also, sorry for posting in General but I couldn't find a sleep section. Also, this is too much of an interesting subject to be posted in the health and fitness section! :)

Edited by Manly man (see edit history)

Wow quite the experience you've had. Sounds kind of scary O_O.I've never been sleep paralyzed and i hope i never will. I mean what if you get stuck like that forever?? it could happen probably. geez i don't want to think about it >_<

hmmm. i say keep researching. you seemed to have found the easiest and most believable answer....which may not be the right one....ust easy to point the finger.also, i remember having more nightmares than is usual for someone and i have never experienced any paralysis. i wouldn't be so quick to believe in doctors who will make up words and definatitions to something because they have no clue to the answers their own selves.write down your dreams. write down what it feels like when you wake up. create a journal for every night and don't stop writing til you have your answer. could be interesting what you find if you research your experience more....

wot happends to me during sleep pyeraiseSleep ParalysisHi my name is samantha young am a 22 year old girl from Newcastle and I have been experiencing sleep paralysis for nearly 9 year now. It all started when my cousins boyfriend kicking me allover his house trying to throw me threw windows etc.My first experience was not long after the episode with cuz, I felt all tense and horrible a couldn't move at all,a white mist went by and I heard children singing ring a ring a roses, and as I looked up they were throwing red roses over me. I am scarred of roses because of that.Few month went buy I was about 20 years old wen it happened a heard people that arn't there seen and talked to people that arn't there, then a terrifying thing happened, a felt cold tense nd horrible, atryed to jump out of it but a c couldn't . Someone had a hold of my feet and then someone had a hold of my hands pinning me down and raping me. I felt every second it was horrid. What makes it worse nono one was there wheen a come round. Its very scarey. I am nearly 23 an its still going on now-feedback by samantha young

sleep paralysisSleep Paralysis

I am a 67 year old male and I have suffered from this condition for many years. In my case I am awake there is a threatining presence in the room, I can move my eyes but nothing else. It can last from seconds to 3 or 4 mins. Been to many doctors had many tests, no answers. At least I can move my eyes so I won't be mistaken for being dead. I just hope that in time you grow out of it, Iv'e had it for that long I don;t think that's likely in my case. Good luck to you and all that have left feedback.

Reply by - Don ( Australia)