xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
shadowx

Slightly Concerned About Web Hosting Applications email addresses shouldnt be shown

Ive been thinking about this for a while, every since i did a search for my email address in google (you should really try it, youd be surprised where your address turns up sometimes) I was lucky and the only reference to it was here at T17 in my hosting app. But this concerned me...Many of the folk here at trap are very intelligent and cautious people and dont like their email address being splattered across the internet but that is what is happening because of the application threads. I would like to ask if they can be made mod/admin only or if Jlhsalips email hiding code can be added. It wouldnt be too much work i dont think.anyone else have any thoughts on this?

This is a pretty good point. I've owned my e-mail for over four years, and in that time have been signing up for all kinds of goofy scams and sites that offer money for surveys (I was damned young) and yet a google search only hails my e-mail address because of Xisto. I'm pretty indifferent though, as a guy would have to search specifically for my e-mail address to find it on Google and that'd be an odd thing to do...

Aye but spambots can search for all email addresses and get yours in the process. I just think its a pretty insensitive way of going about things

In the last topic that was made about this before we were allowed to edit our posts all you had to od was report your application to have your email removed and that's it. Now that we can edit our posts, even they are closed, remove your email address after your hosting account is set up and so that will solve your problem of you email getting caught by the spam bots. Also the Hosting account requests are not index by trap and so you shouldn't worry about that unless you put your email in a post or something.

ah didnt think about editing it, i shall do that. Not a fan of my address being on the forums, even though i trust most of you here i wouldnt put my real address or phone number in public so why would i do it with my email address?thanks anyway, time to go dig up my application...EDIT: Seems you cant edit locked posts :)

Edited by shadowx (see edit history)

Good point. I didn't realize that. And I've posted my email add in so many forums during my past quests in looking for webhosts. Sigh. It doesn't really matter to me though. I have a different email account for less important personal things. I use a different one for work and school, which I don't give out or use for signing up for stuff. Anyway, I'm pretty used to spam mail. Gmail does a good job of keeping them in my spam box.

In the last topic that was made about this before we were allowed to edit our posts all you had to od was report your application to have your email removed and that's it. Now that we can edit our posts, even they are closed, remove your email address after your hosting account is set up and so that will solve your problem of you email getting caught by the spam bots. Also the Hosting account requests are not index by trap and so you shouldn't worry about that unless you put your email in a post or something.

actualy when i googled the email address i used on the application i only had one result which is the application and when i tried to edit it it said i did not have permission. not that i care too much about that email address it's just everything you've said did not work for me.