xisto Community
Mermaid711

I Am A Global Warming Denier, Hear Me Rawr!

Unfortunately, that's the price you have to pay for good, clean energy. Nuclear power is the only way forward - there's lots of U-235 left and it's totally reliable, whereas solar power, for instance, isn't.

How can you say that when there are millions of watts of solar energy out there every day, just waiting to be taken? By 'reliable' I figure something which is there when you need it, and you can trust it will always be there. I think that can be said of solar light, at least as long as the Sun shines. If the Sun stops shining, well I think we'll have more serious problems by then.

About nuclear power, it's true it is a powerful source and it is somehow more convenient to harness when compared to solar power. But is it really reliable? First of all the raw materials (e.g. uranium) are not evenly distributed on the planet, therefore their supplies are subject to change in the event of international political tensions, transportation delays, natural catastrophes and so on. Secondly the energy itself needs to be transported over sometimes long distance, we can't really have nuclear plants in every town. This gives rise to energy loss and more potential issues (both environmental and security/reliability of the supply).

The way I see it the power of solar energy lies in its intrinsic distribution all over the planet. It is the most "democratic" form of energy, there are few places on Earth that cannot potentially survive on solar energy. On the other hand nuclear energy should not be banned completely, I agree it should be an important part of the energy mix. I can imagine for example a nuclear plant powering up a large city and smaller distributed solar installations taking care of the needs of smaller towns and rural areas. They both can coexist and offer their best features and compensate each others' faults.

Another point to consider is that nuclear power plants require a large investment and sometimes several years before they can operate and be profitable. Small scale solar installations are much more flexible and can be operating within a shorter time.

I am undoubtedly sceptical about global warming. Trends undeniably show the general temperatures around the earth rising in what, technically, could be called global warming. Of course, it is so frequently the extent to which humans actions are causing this that are taken as synonymous with rising temperatures and I think this is the critical issue.

Pumping certain gases into the environment does damage the environment. Cutting down trees does raise the level of Carbon Dioxide in the atmosphere. Anything saying they don't is propaganda.

I think there is insufficient evidence of an absolutely causal relationship between our actions and rising temperatures because there are so many other variables and cycles to account for. THE GENERAL TREND OF RISING AND FALLING GLOBAL TEMPERATURE, for example.

I am undoubtedly sceptical about global warming. Trends undeniably show the general temperatures around the earth rising in what, technically, could be called global warming. Of course, it is so frequently the extent to which humans actions are causing this that are taken as synonymous with rising temperatures and I think this is the critical issue.

Pumping certain gases into the environment does damage the environment. Cutting down trees does raise the level of Carbon Dioxide in the atmosphere. Anything saying they don't is propaganda.

I think there is insufficient evidence of an absolutely causal relationship between our actions and rising temperatures because there are so many other variables and cycles to account for. THE GENERAL TREND OF RISING AND FALLING GLOBAL TEMPERATURE, for example.

Yes, you have touched two important points. One is that the global trend in rising temperatures (aka global warming) may well be due to a series of reasons and not only to human activities. The other point is that no matter what the answer to the first point is, what we are doing to the environment is by no means good and justifiable by saying "You know natural cycles happen anyway..."

The fact that global warming is so popular now is the best chance we've ever had to promote a global understanding of a sustainable relationship between man and the environment. No matter whether humans have or have not caused global warming it can be used as an "excuse" to set a few things right and stop hiding behind inevitability to perpetrate our assault to the environment.

Unfortunately, "global warming" is also a convenient excuse to promote political agendas under the guise of "saving the environment". ?We definitely should do everything we can to create, as you say, "a sustainable relationship between man and the environment," but as I see it, we seem to have inadvertently created the problem of global whining in our quest to stop global warming. I think 50 years from now?we'll be laughing at ourselves when everyone is worried about global cooling.? :(

Unfortunately, "global warming" is also a convenient excuse to promote political agendas under the guise of "saving the environment".  We definitely should do everything we can to create, as you say, "a sustainable relationship between man and the environment," but as I see it, we seem to have inadvertently created the problem of global whining in our quest to stop global warming.
I think 50 years from now we'll be laughing at ourselves when everyone is worried about global cooling.  :(

Yes you are probably right on that. After all it is unrealistic to think of anything we and our leaders do as unlinked from political agendas. What I say is that among all possible agendas this is the one that could benefit the environment and help building a better mindset in the next generation. Sure people might be overwhelmed by all the noise that "global whining" has created but that's a risk we have to take, the alternative is a society that grows more and more consumerist and places the environment out of the agenda (at least now it is at the bottom of it...)

I wouldn't be surprised if a "global cooling" were soon to gain momentum, I think that was feared to be the trend a few decades ago. On the other hand the term "global warming" itself is well imprecise as many regions could actually face severe cooling if processes linked with it were to take hold. I think "climate change" is a better name for it.

I'm going to come to your house and kick your dog. Let's see you deny that. How do you deny global warming? Global warming says that average temperatures are rising, which they are. The "caused by carbon dioxide" part is secondary, and I tend to ignore it. Oh and that giant ice shelf that fell off of Antarctica after sitting there for eons simply decided it was a good time to go. Yes, global climate undergoes cycles of warming and cooling, and yes, maybe this is a passing cycle. But humans certainly aren't helping. The greenhouse effect isn't a theory. Where there is no atmosphere, there is no heat retention. This is why Mars is cold at night, and Venus is unbearably hot. When you add more atmosphere, heat retention increases. And guess what we're doing now? We're adding more atmosphere! But climate change is something we should be concerned with. According to Daniel Schrag, Professor of Earth and Planetary Sciences at Harvard University, if we f*ck up, we're gonna end up with a snowball of an Earth.

I'm going to come to your house and kick your dog. Let's see you deny that.
How do you deny global warming? Global warming says that average temperatures are rising, which they are. The "caused by carbon dioxide" part is secondary, and I tend to ignore it. Oh and that giant ice shelf that fell off of Antarctica after sitting there for eons simply decided it was a good time to go.

Yes, global climate undergoes cycles of warming and cooling, and yes, maybe this is a passing cycle. But humans certainly aren't helping. The greenhouse effect isn't a theory. Where there is no atmosphere, there is no heat retention. This is why Mars is cold at night, and Venus is unbearably hot. When you add more atmosphere, heat retention increases. And guess what we're doing now? We're adding more atmosphere!

But climate change is something we should be concerned with. According to Daniel Schrag, Professor of Earth and Planetary Sciences at Harvard University, if we f*ck up, we're gonna end up with a snowball of an Earth.

The "caused by carbon dioxide" part doesn't exist. Global Warming refers to a rise in the amount of greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, which is causing the temperature to rise. The main reason for this is because of our industrial activities, namely taking carbon (coal/oil) out of the ground that has been there for millions of years and releasing it into the atmosphere as carbon dioxide.

In actuality, carbon dioxide is one of the weaker greenhouse gases. The problem is while it took many hundreds of millions of years for the oil and coal in the ground to be formed, we are spitting it out in only a few hundred years, which is a ridiculous timescale (for more information, watch the expansion pack to How It All Ends on YouTube).

The "caused by carbon dioxide" part doesn't exist. Global Warming refers to a rise in the amount of greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, which is causing the temperature to rise. The main reason for this is because of our industrial activities, namely taking carbon (coal/oil) out of the ground that has been there for millions of years and releasing it into the atmosphere as carbon dioxide.
In actuality, carbon dioxide is one of the weaker greenhouse gases. The problem is while it took many hundreds of millions of years for the oil and coal in the ground to be formed, we are spitting it out in only a few hundred years, which is a ridiculous timescale (for more information, watch the expansion pack to How It All Ends on YouTube).

And this is non-Global Warming because? You said that carbon dioxide is one of the weaker greenhouses gases. This does not mean that it has no effect.

I saw a documentary movie recently called Home, it's 2009 movie, well I got a little mad about it, as most of what was said seems to be facts, but also those there "lies", based on who knows what, even global warming are politics and money :(

For people who really believe in the global warming stuff, I suggest to read these articles, they are really great, well most of them, because some are quite simple:

http://www.ourcivilisation.com/aginatur/moregw.htm

After reading this, you'll know that global warming and all the things they say on TV and News are not so scary afterwards.

Edited by Quatrux (see edit history)

I am responding to this post without the benefit of extensive research or background on the topic. But the same con-artists pushing "global warming" on a very uniformed public are doing the very same. UN scientists are dropping like flies because they can't find any validity in Mr. Gore's unscientific proposal that the earth is warming. On the contrary, unbiased scientists have proclaimed the very opposiste: The earth is not warming. THE EARTH IS COOLING. That is why the elite who own the media have changed their tune to "climate change" as opposed to their initial global warming schpeil. In the end it doesn't matter. They will always find some way to control the masses. Understand the earth is always in a change of fluctuation, with or without human influence. Do you really think humans were responsible for the last ice age anymore than they are responsible for the setting of the sun, the rising of the moon? This global warming scam is just that, a scam. Your illegitimate government has concocted this crap to keep you in bondage, and soon, you will be paying "carbon credits" for the sin of being born human.