xisto Community
IceAge

Close Own Topics

I don't think this would be the greatest of ideas. When you close a topic you are depriving others from the opportunity of sharing their opinions. Granted, some topics should be closed, however if the admins give power to the topic creator I think many topics will be closed for illegitimate reasons. If you have a specific need for certain topics to be closed you can always PM a mod and ask them to do it, and if you have a good reason I'm sure that they will be more than happy to accommodate you. However, if the power is given to the topic creator, especially if that topic creator is new to the forum and is not used to how much this community uses the forum, many potential posts will never be posted.

I agree that closing a topic is bad because many people will prematurely close their topic when others still have things to add. I think it would be good if people had the ability to tell whether a question in a thread has been answered or not. Maybe there could be a phrase in parenthesis and different colors next to the thread title that the author of the thread has the ability to change.

If the topic is way too "bad" or something is seriously wrong then a moderator should close it. If you think one of your own topics should be closed then sending a message to a moderator is the easiest solution. I agree with some above that it would not be a good thing if we were allowed to close them ourselves. I have been at several forums, and one of them did actually have something like this. You could not close them yourself, but you asked a moderator or a staff member to do it for you. The problem was that many topics that should not be closed were closed - something that was very annoying for all us other members that had something to add. This caused that me started to create several new topics about the subject.A moderator should be careful before closing topics.

There is a "Resolved" status that can be applied to issues once the answer is provided or the Topic is no longer required.Simply use the Report button to request a Topic to be closed.The Reports are available to all Moderators, so you do not need to PM a specific one and wait until they Log-in for the action to be taken. The next time a Moderator refreshes their page, they will be advised of the Report and handle it.

yeah it would be a horrible idea. some people might just close a topic in debates when most of the posts are agreeing with them so that it will stay like that. this is meant to be an open discussion, so it shouldn't be one sided. everyone should be allowed to comment back.

Could we have the opportunity to close our own topics, if we want to?
This would be a good thing, if we could.

-Kel :)

This could be a good idea in some cases..like I ask a question and after 2-3 or posts I get what I wanted...like I had an error in my script or code..now definitely...after some replies my error would be rectified..

now the sole problem is solved..so I can..delete the thread..

But, there's always a chance...that somebody else is also facing the same error problem...so he/she might have to start a thread again...so what the moderators and admins are doing is quite good.

Bad idea. What if someone had a question that had not been resolved then they would have to make another topic and that might get closed aswell. Also if we are members we shouldnt really have the power to close topics we are all here to help eachother out. At the end of the day we get something better back in return such as free hosting and free domains.

Could we have the opportunity to close our own topics, if we want to?
This would be a good thing, if we could.

-Kel :)

I dont think its such a good idea, it keeps people from posting good posts xD
Also, I dont think there is a need for this, because you can always contact the staff, ask them to close it if something is wrong with the topic.

:) I think we have discussed this in another thread of the same title. Why would we bump this one?To be honest I think instead of closing our threads we could possibly move our own threads/posts etc? Like vBulletin some members with a good x amount of posts get the abilities/opportunity to move their topics. :P-Sky

I pretty much agree with everyone here. If someone has something good to say, you should let them say it. I see no purpose for us (the members) to close our own topics.