xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kvarnerexpress

Is Electronic Music Not "real" Music?

I am a musician and I like some electronic music, for parties, including trance/chillout/house etc.It is music but it is not playing instruments.

Bands that play live electronic musicIs Electronic Music Not "real" Music?

This is an awesome topic. All I am going to add is that you should check out the NewZealand band Shapeshifter!

They are absoloutly amazing especially live. They are a 5 peice band using guitars, saxophone, synthesizers and have an actual drummer playing drum and bass type beats.

don't let the fact that I threw "Drum and Bass" in there throw you off because there music which once did fit into that category is now more a heavy soul/tribal/roots type sound.

Being a very electronic band means people who are into electronic type rave music where you would usually being watching a couple of dj's and people who prefer traditional rock type bands can both find the experience that is Shapeshifter a truly amazing experience.

There are a lot more bands emerging like this one so don't be afraid to go to gigs with bands you've never seen before because it can open a world of music you never knew existed

-reply by AaronNZ

I just want to say, that electronic artists do have a connection with their instruments (not those who use computors, but in a way they can too). I mean think about modular and analog synthesizers, you put your feeling into making the sound and playing the tune, I also think its wrong to say that dj's dont have connection with their turntables. I think its also wrong to say that "it takes no skill to make some type of music", I mean a guitarist wont be able to just walk over to my synthesizer and start playing super well, neither will I be able to go over and pick up a guitar. It does take skill to learn analog/modular synths just as much as it does to learn any other instrument. My main thing though is that Electronic music producers do have a connection to instruments, im not gona go further with the DJ's, but these are artists who actually play instruments, they are not all just like "Basshunter" (although he is my favorite) who only uses "fruity Loops" and turntables. For instance:I mean look at what daft punk has in their pyramid:http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/404.pngat how "the Prodigy" makes music
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/404.png:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_UynX4mlB7IU/TAVRQ2PYBCI/AAAAAAAABDc/PGBXCYSYkhc/s1600/Scooter+@+VIVA+Comet+2010+Awards+4.jpgHere
are some instruments that can be used to make electronic music as well

Moog Voyager XL

keyboardmag.com/uploadedImages/keyboardmag/articles/VoyagerXL.jpg

Moog Taurus http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/404.pngModular synth, and dont tell me it doesnt take any skill or "connection" playing these http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/404.png Modualar http://www.soundonsound.com/information/more-sos-articles-way made, all genres take skill to make

Yeah...I would say I prefer live music. I know that it's probably not as perfect as the electronic one. But it's live. It's professional.

The thing is music has turned to be quite electronic, I feel.

I have done some recording in a studio....and have observed some being done.

It's like there's nothing real in there. Even the singing can be changed completely.

They can put vibrato (even when the singer can't do it) by just telling the computer to do it. Or if anyone goes out of tune, just moving their mouse ,the controller can tune on the computer. So singers don't even have to be good.

Or.....alternatively, you can sing one sentence. Then have a break, and sing another one sentence and have a break. Soo...it's just not real when we come to know what's behind it. (so I would say I prefer live music) Posted Image

I am a singer, and I LOVE using Frutie Loops to create songs. I do it because, well, I play the guitar, but I just never got as good as I wouldv't liked, so having FL Studios allows me to create the music in my mind without the worry of collaborating with other stubborn musicians or hiring people who don't "feel" the music the way I do.... Additionally, not every composer can sing, or play all instruments... In fact, I can imagine that a lot of composers and writers imagine what their songs would sound like if they could play or sing better, but in that effort, it is all about having access to musicians who CAN play or sing well enough. What we are seeing with electronic music is a brand new mastery of manipulation that was unafforded to so many before. YES, there are some really BAD and UNTALENTED pieces of music being created.... I personally know someone who writes songs, but he can't pluck a good melody, find the right harmonies, or make the beat flow right because he just doesn't have the feel for those things (no musical talent).

Also (and this isnt in direct reply to you darlin), I think that people have become accustomed to a live experience and electronic music, while it is still just as beautiful and talented, doesn't offer that same experience. THAT is the only real difference... Change doesn't happen over-night. Think to when humans expanded Gregorian Chants. This is the natural progression of creativity. It has no boundaries.....