xisto Community
pasten

Which Mail For My Website? Which is better yahoomail or hotmail

Straight to the issue --> My php-mysql website is in final stages and would be replacing my current html website anytime soon. I have a contact form which uses send mail. Now I was wondering which one is better yahoo or hotmail (gmails is not webmaster friendly. What i like in these two are the blocking feature by ip name and domain name (I really want to keep my spam box clean and tidy).

But Hotmail has this feature "mark it safe" or not. which can accomplish the same task more easily when checking mails. The only thing gmail lacks is this, otherwise it is superb.

I want your opinions in using them in long term, that is any features required in future for my website and if they are offered by these. If yes which one and what. I need your (established webmasters) help.

{Sorry for off topic, I have seen many websites not accepting yahoo or hotmail accounts but are accepting gmail accounts to register. I think because they are spam websites and they don't want you to block thier ip/domain (you know they keep changing emails and domains). This is just for info, what i have noticed.}

Well to be quite honest, your better off using the hosting mail client and then customize it that way and the only way to prevent spam and all that nonsense is to use captcha. Of course, when it comes to php there are ways to prevent most spam getting sent to you. I would check out this article right here about ways to block some spam, and I would check this tutorials website out to see on what you can use to better safeguard your forms.

Either way I stick with yahoo, and I would create a separate email account instead of using your normal one or yahoo will be picking it up as spam and you will never no if you got email from your site or not.

Using your own hosting for email not only allows you to customize the features and spam blocking to your liking, but it also looks more cohesive to have an email address with yoursite.com instead of hotmail.com. This would definitely be the optimal way to go, but if you need to choose between yahoo or hotmail, I'd say yahoo.

Either way I stick with yahoo, and I would create a separate email account instead of using your normal one or yahoo will be picking it up as spam and you will never no if you got email from your site or not.

Sorry I couldnt understand that sentence. Normal one means???
I selected yahoo (selected from majority) for recieving mails from my contact form. And also because I use Opera and hotmail just doesn't work in that, even though everything looks cool as you login but after that you can't open any messages. Hotmail doesn't even atleast tell that if my browser isn't supported. Anyway, I decided I will settle with Yahoo.
Edited by nitish (see edit history)

I mean that instead of using your email account you use every day you want to set up another email account just to keep the emails separated and prevent them from going into your spam folder and getting mixed up with your other spam.

just a little off-topic... has anyone used phpmailer? I set it up on my testing server and it works fine with gmail (smtp)... it's also very easy to customize!I just got my hosting on Xisto and when I tried to send email from them (with phpmailer) I get the following error:Warning: fsockopen() [function.fsockopen]: unable to connect to ssl://smtp.gmail.com:465 (Connection timed out)I wonder if it's some kind of restriction in place on Xisto - Web Hosting server or a problem with gmail (I'd rule that out as I was able to send emails from my testing server at the same time)thanks for any help :)ps anyway I think I'll investigate the sendmail function provided by Xisto - Web Hosting and set up my own mail server there as most of you suggest...

I wonder if it's some kind of restriction in place on Xisto - Web Hosting server or a problem with gmail (I'd rule that out as I was able to send emails from my testing server at the same time)

ok read something about "socket must be open in php configuration in order for that to work" so I guess this is the restriction... :)

i like both of them, they have a great messenger application, i used both of them in IM, but sometimes i wanna try GTalk. but, be honest, for now the best mailing system is GMail, i feel feel feel so free, it has bigger capacity, free POP3 and IMAP. it's very useful for me now. back to top, beetween yahoomail and hotmail, i choose yahoo which is better than hotmail.

If you have DNS Nameserver access to your domain, you could always try Google Apps because they give you emails @yourname.com and a semi-customisable interface. I believe that Microsoft does a version called Windows Live Admin Center and they allow you to offer emails @yourname.com to your users and a version of Hotmail specifically for it.

for future reference gmail has custom filters so you would be able to setup your own filter to say that all emails from yoursite.com go to inbox, everything else gets deleted.Its much better than hotmail, ive never had Yahoo but they seem cluttered.Anyway, Gmail is the way to go in future :)

hehe i know u said no gmail but.. honestly YAHOO is spam heaven. i dont even bother checking that account anymore. i honestly think yahoo forwards your email to spam sites.. but thats just my theory. hotmail is a mess too.. i find it not as well organized, the only plus is the well known messenger thats attached with it.but bottom line i find having gmail accounts more professional, and i absolutevely have a crush on the way the inbox is set up- you can even have your aim thing linked in your inbox.& enstead of having 89876 messages starting with RE: RE: RE: you only have one message that keeps track of the conversation you had with whoever. just my opinion.if you dont like ether of them.. just change your domains email thing to forward to a different adress..

GMail is the best. You really don't get ANY SPAM unless your email gets exposed to some maniac SPAMMER. It has about 7-8GB of storage and I think there is a program out there that can use the storage as an online hard drive. I doubt that program works though.