xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Kurisu

Free Games Like Wow?

Allods Online is A LOT like WoW, and it's free. You can even be "alliance" or "horde" (they are called something different). The grahpics are even better then WoW's graphics.

Take a look at BATMUD. Its a totally free multiuser online FANTASY game which has been created way back in 1990. It is an old game with a long history.

My history with the game starts back in 2001. I started as a giant barbarian and soloed mostly exp and gold to buy better equipment. I bought nice SABLE axes from other players who had gotten them by killing some monsters. After a while I got bored with soloing and started partying with other players. I realized I could gain much more knowledge about the game that way and gather experience more rapidly. I got to know some other players too and partyed regularly with mostly the same people.

Barbarian guild mostly involved stunning enemies with battlecries, then hammering them to death and then burning their corpse for reputation. There were some cool events in which you fought either other players or monsters, but still I got fed up with it and wanted to test some other types of reincs(reincarnations). Reincing in Batmud means that you re-recreate your character from start and you can basically pick different background, race, levels, stats and guilds. You still keep your experience, equipment, name, castle and ship etc...

I tested partying as a mage. It was mostly about being in party's backrow and casting protection spells and offensive blasts at the monsters. Then tested being a healer which was about the same except instead of blasting monsters, you healed other players. Tried being a merchant too... Merchants can provide many services to other players, I tried making chests. First I logged wood from the Batmud's forests to make the chest. Then had to mine minerals to make a lock for the chest. I made few of them and sold them, then thought that I again need a change.

I had always liked soloing, so I thought my next reinc needs to be one where I can solo, party for exp, party for equipment(you kill big monsters which give you nice equipment) and cast spells. Do everything so to speak! For this I picked an undead skeleton caster-tank, where for my tanking abilities relied on to the newly created knights guild which allowed me to use all types of weapons and best of all: mounts. Soon I was riding bears, drakes and griffons to battle. For the casting side I picked bards guild which is a guild which can cast spells which give bonuses for the whole party. Bards work nicely in equipment parties and also in exp parties and soloing too, since they can replenish your hit points and endurance. Thats why knight-bard reinc has been my favourite for the last few years...

During the past few years I've also started to socialize a bit more with other players. I have met(though briefly) several hundreds of them in player conventions. It's very funny too meet somebody in real life you have known for years in the game. :)

Starting playing Batmud is much more easyer nowadays, because the game now offers a java client which you can use to play the game. Batclient, as they call it, gives you all the necessary features. I recommend Batmud for everybody. :)

NOT RUNESCAPE (I HATE THAT GAME)
I am addicted to World of Warcraft, and its using up all my money I don't want to pay all that money a month because I am just a student. I was wondering if there was any cheaper or free alternatives to World of Warcraft? I heard guildwars was pretty good, but I think thats around the same price?

If you like WOW bu don't want to pay go to http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ It is a free version of wow but it is one map pack behind they just released cataclysm so it isn't that far behind.

I'd suggest you give SWGemu.com a try. It is an emulation project that is free to play and is a replica of the original Star Wars Galaxies MMO. The game was a huge hit until the devs added a couple of game altering changes to combat and character classes. After that the game went downhill. The SWGemu version of the game is completely free and restores the game to the way it was when it was a hit! :) The server averages at least 2500 players a day and is very fun to play. If you do decide to check it out send my character a hello! His in game name is "Nameless".

NOT RUNESCAPE (I HATE THAT GAME)

I am addicted to World of Warcraft, and its using up all my money I don't want to pay all that money a month because I am just a student. I was wondering if there was any cheaper or free alternatives to World of Warcraft? I heard guildwars was pretty good, but I think thats around the same price?

I know this is an old thread, but if anyone comes across it, I'm sure this will help like a charm!

I have downloaded and played all of them up to date, and have weighed everything from graphics, game-play similarity, controls similarity, mounts, NPCs, Crafting, travel, and storyline to PVE, PVP, Raids, Groups, Chat, Skill, & talents, & in my opinion, here are the top 3 free to play games similar to WOW.

#1. Allods Online: http://www.webzen.com/

#2. Lord Of The Rings: http://www.lotro.com/en

#3. Runes Of Magic: http://us.runesofmagic.gameforge.com/news/index

There are also many great add-ons for these games just like for WOW.

I didnt include Rift or SWTOR, because they are only free to a certain level, just like WOW.

* I have played them all, trust me, all of them, so if I didn't list the one you seem to like the most and think is more similar to WOW, sorry. I started with WOW so I compared everything.

* None of these games have as good as graphics as WOW, but Allods was close, and the others aren't far off.

* People, please stop referring to Runescape as a similar game to WOW , it doesnt even come close!!

There are many cheap copies like World of Warcraft but no one is on their rank. I would suggest trying another type of a game , because you will never find a good free one. Or play on private cracked servers.