xisto Community
chris.oco

Firefox Portable

so I recently downloaded firefox portable for my flash drive. I have to say that I was never a fan of firefox... I run windows, but use safari and I really like it, one of the major reasons I didnt like firefox was because of the way it displayed my website... It basically destroyed it!!! anyway, recently I was looking for a portable browser for my flash drive.... and all I could find for free was firefox! so i got it and scepticaly ran it for the first time.... by the way, at first it didnt come up, so i forgot about and opened safari, and like 5 minutes later it finally opened! what a piece of crap!!! anyway, i close it and am about to delete it when i come across a fix for the flash that will speed it up and sure enough firefox suddenly is quicker... later im screwing around with it and discover the add ons and plugins, and i got to say it is pretty cool..... I even got a skin to make it look like safari!! so long story short, this new firefox portable is pretty awesome, you can save your bookmarks and other data on your flash and if your school or work computer has internet blocks, you can just browse from your flash and get around all of that!!

so I recently downloaded firefox portable for my flash drive. I have to say that I was never a fan of firefox... I run windows, but use safari and I really like it, one of the major reasons I didnt like firefox was because of the way it displayed my website... It basically destroyed it!!!

Your website must be very badly coded then. Firefox is generally pretty good at presenting websites according to the standards, and exactly how they should be displayed. Take a serious look at your code, make sure it validates, and get it working in all the major browsers.

anyway, recently I was looking for a portable browser for my flash drive.... and all I could find for free was firefox! so i got it and scepticaly ran it for the first time.... by the way, at first it didnt come up, so i forgot about and opened safari, and like 5 minutes later it finally opened! what a piece of crap!!! anyway, i close it and am about to delete it when i come across a fix for the flash that will speed it up and sure enough firefox suddenly is quicker...

That's the problem with running anything from a pen drive - it tends to be much slower because the data transfer rates are lower, and it's just not really designed for it.

later im screwing around with it and discover the add ons and plugins, and i got to say it is pretty cool..... I even got a skin to make it look like safari!!

The addons and plugins are a brilliant feature of Firefox, and there are plenty of lists of good plugins scattered around the web, even on these forums. They just make life so much easier. I've never really paid that much attention to the skins, as Firefox integrates fairly well with KDE anyway.

so long story short, this new firefox portable is pretty awesome, you can save your bookmarks and other data on your flash and if your school or work computer has internet blocks, you can just browse from your flash and get around all of that!!

It won't get you round most blocks. Most schools use a proxy server to route all traffic, so no matter which browser you use or how you run it, you will still go through the same proxy server and be subject to the same blocks.

Yeah... Running firefox portable on my USB drive utterly destroys my school's computer (it's very very slow) so I end up using Internet Explorer again instead. I've got alot of other portable junk included with it too which I don't even use (even though I know what it is for... I think). Although I must say the Firefox 3 installed on my computer recently is really sweet...And where is this flash fix thing you mentioned may I ask?

The reason Firefox does not display your website correctly is because you need to learn to code better, and your website is coded very badly. The fact is Firefox is even more forgivable than IE ever would be, but browsers can not be to forgivable in mistakes or you will get every browser displaying websites differently.

-reply by danacon