xisto Community
miikerocks

Surf Internet Without Opening It. Useful For School How-to

Wanna surf the internet without opening up internet explorer, firefox, or opera? This trick might save you from detention when you go back to school and go on my site.

Open up Notepad. Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Notepad

Press F1 to bring up the Help.

Click the top left corner (the icon) of the help window.

Select Jump to URL

Type in http://nerdnirvana.org/.

Now when your teachers come around to check out the windows youve opened, you wont get caught!

You are a genious. This is really useful but, in school they allow us to visit all kinds of sites, for some weird reason. It won't be of any use for me, at least, many others will use it.Although some school networks have blocks in certain keywords... and this method uses internet explorer... so they may still not be able to visit these sites.

Wow thank you very much! This will be useful at work! You can never go wrong with notepad. hehe.

Thanks... This helps to some extend.First the usual typing of the website name alone did not work... but the full address of the site works fine...Few more questions here?Is this the only way to do this?Do we have any other options in windows? If so... it would be great to share it with us. Thanks in advance.Also.... It is possible to define your own browser via some libraries in the microsoft based languages... I was searching for something for one of my packages back in college and i did find that there was such an option to create a browser of our own... Still that might not be able to match the top class browsers,,, still it might be of some help where things are blocked. i have never heard much about blocking IE and any other browser usage for that matter. Anyways have to experiment stuffs.

Well there are other ways I'm sure. I got busted at school, when I accidentally sent a message to every computer downtown that was on at the time. I did this using command prompt. I also opened certain blocked sites with this, but I wont release how because it could get you into a lot of trouble, when the computer guy look at your file and sees wat you did. BUT, I did make a browser, that has no history, and doesnt place any of it on IE, so if you download it and put it on a USB, and plug it into your computer at school/WORK, then you can surf watever you want at no cost! should i post download? Tell me.

Edited by miikerocks (see edit history)

BUT, I did make a browser, that has no history, and doesnt place any of it on IE, so if you download it and put it on a USB, and plug it into your computer at school/WORK, then you can surf watever you want at no cost! should i post download? Tell me.

How did you manage that? Sounds awesome, like something you'd have to see to believe, but I can't help but think that if you did distribute it, a lot of people would start using it for illegal or questionable purposes.

How did you manage that? Sounds awesome, like something you'd have to see to believe, but I can't help but think that if you did distribute it, a lot of people would start using it for illegal or questionable purposes.

Making your own web browser is not all too hard. You can do it in Visual Basic (VB) with ease. Here is a quick tutorial if you need more evidence:
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
( First link from Google. )

It's a good idea, but I don't think it'll work at our school, simply because most teachers don't look at whether or not you're using a browser. But they DO look at what's on the screen. So if you're going to a site that obviously doesn't look like a History essay (which is most sites), they'll notice. And a lot of the teachers at our school know to get suspicious students to actually open up the taskbar windows to show them.For us, filtering is delivered at the proxy level. And we are required to login using a student account each time we use the internet. So it doesn't matter what browser we use, we still have to connect to the proxy that delivers the filtering. And no matter what the best tech geeks try, NOTHING gets past it. Every single proxy server we have tried is blocked, and other tools like Tor don't work either. We get away with a lot of things because our student accounts are all remote desktops. But the client also has software installed on it. So what we generally do is surf the net or play games on the client, and when the teacher comes around, we open the full-screen remote desktop session which hides all the client's windows and taskbar etc. and even if they ask us to open our taskbar windows to show them, they'll never suspect anything outside the remote desktop session. But the client software is very restricted. The start menu just has the shut down option, a very restricted selection of software, and the shortcuts to the terminal server (i.e. our remote desktops). The computers don't let us open up explorer, but we've been able to get around this using explorer toolbars on the taskbar, which haven't yet been disabled. Don't even think about command prompt or regedit.Yes, we have a very restricted set of permissions. But hey, we have some of the most tech-savvy students in the state. So the tech admin department has go to pretty desperate measures. Just recently, one of my friends got hold of the admin password. But he's too ethical to use it to change anything.

Well, in my elementary school, Internet Explorer was blocked for the users of the computer. If you tried to open it, it would give you an error saying "This program has been locked by the administrator". They did not, however, block My Computer. So all you had to do was open up My Computer and type in the address you wanted.Do you have this problem in reverse? They will let you use IE, but not My Computer? It works in reverse! The base program for both of these (And even the task bar, start menu and desktop) is the same program, explorer.exe Internet Explorer is opened with IExplorer.exe, but IExplorer just adds the bookmarks and tool bars and such.Note that these won't help you if the problem is you are monitored, but if you just can't start the program this will help.

Well our teachers could not care less. As long as we do not do anything to disturb other students we can do whatever we want... we are kind of there because we want to so they expect us to pay attention. I use Facebook and MSN all the time - but I still work. Without Internet we would probably not use computers at our school. The school administrator can not block my computer, so that is too bad for him. (Haha, wonder how I did that?)Sure it must be useful for schools that do not allow this, but if I was a teacher I would rather let the students do something and shut up than starting talking and disturbing the other students. We were not allowed to go at other websites when I was younger, but I have never understood why. Probably because we sometimes do not "care" or know what consequences it can have if we do everything else than school work at school... slightly older now. Just slightly. :)

Interesting way, very high camuflage. But it is too late for me to try that in my school, in university. Maybe I will suggest someone younger than me to try that in their middle schools. :)

At my school, they charge us for internet.. Even if we get pass the filters and are watching youtube videos, there's still a monetary charge that we incur. (Unless you get one of those half-broken wireless certificates that lets your own laptop use free internet!)I personally don't see the benefits of using a help browser - if you're monitored, having a notepad help browser would surely arouse suspicion - especially if they see what you're browsing :)Unless IE is blocked, there's no reason to be using this - you'll probably need to close it if someone is walking by, and IE is a better browser than the help window of notepad! (Actually, try portable firefox (could you ghostfox with portable firefox?) or portable opera on a usb - you might need to configure the proxy settings though). Also, you could probably copy iexplore.exe and rename it to allow access - worked with minesweeper at my school o_o