xisto Community

Did you know that there are about 30 million atheists in America? Unfortunately, atheists are often misunderstood and thought to be people with low morals. In fact, many atheists give more thought to morality because they define their own moral codes. Atheism is a very broad term, and it is difficult to generalize about atheists. Atheists are unexceptional in behavior and appearance. The only thing that makes an atheist or agnostic person different from a religious person is the degree to which each believes in God. Atheism is simply the absence of belief in the existence of a god or gods. People can either choose to be atheists or they might just be unable to share the beliefs of religion. There are two different types of atheism: weak and strong. Weak atheists lack the belief in a traditional god, they are basically skeptics. Strong atheists believe that there actually are no gods. Some atheists don?t believe in any gods, others just don?t believe in certain gods.There are also people who are not atheist, but can be considered agnostic. These people believe that there is no way to know whether God exists or not. This term has also been used to describe people who are undecided about the issue of religion. The belief that the existence of God is unknowable is called ?strict agnosticism and the state of being undecided is referred to as empirical agnosticismThere is no single philosophical justification for being an atheist. Atheists have different reasons for their beliefs, and two of the most common are:they feel that the existence of God is illogicalthey see no evidence that God existsFor many, atheism is just the logical position to take. Most atheists do not lack belief in God because they are ignorant about religion.About 90% of atheists were once theists, but became atheists because they did not believe that religion worked for them, and they found the religious beliefs contradicted what they observed around them.Common myths:Atheists are believed to be less moral than religious people. While atheists do not accept the standard moral code of traditional religions, many atheists? ideas about morality are as strong as, or stronger than those of theist?s.Some atheists even follow the same moral rules as theists do, but with different reasons for doing so.It is also believed that some atheists worship Satan. This is not true since atheists do not believe in, let alone worship, any supreme being.Some people believe that the life of an atheist is completely pointless. However, atheists decide for themselves what gives meaning to their lives and then pursue it. They try to make their lives count since they do not believe there is a guarantee of an eternal life.Atheists put truth before comfort and will search for what they believe is true even if it makes then feel uncomfortable. During times of danger, atheists do not simply turn to God; they seek to make themselves feel better in other ways. The only way to end prejudice against atheism is to educate people about it. I hope you will consider these comments and learn more about atheism yourself.

thats completely wrong of people to think that atheist people have no morals/low morals, being atheist has nothing to do with your morals, or how you act when it comes to manners, that has to do more with where you were raised, the people you grew up with, the people who raised you, and the way you choose to act, nothing to do whatsowhever with your religious beliefs.thats a stupid stereotype if you ask me, you cant really tell whos atheist, catholic, or christian etc [just to name some] based on the way they act or treat people..all atheism is, is not really believing in any god, or religion.. which... if you ask me.. i might turn into(:

... others just don’t believe in certain gods.

By this, that would make me an atheist.

... many atheists’ ideas about morality are as strong as, or stronger than those of theist’s.

In a world of subjectivity (which is the world of an atheist), there is nothing greater than the other; "good" and "evil" are but mere words that can't be objectively defined in a subjective world.

It is also believed that some atheists worship Satan. This is not true since atheists do not believe in, let alone worship, any supreme being.

Actually, there is a possibility for an atheist to worship Satan. Satan is not a supreme being and believing in spiritual beings doesn't necessarily make you a theist. It is possible for an atheist to be spiritual. It could also be an exaggerated form of materialism where one labels an object "Satan."

Atheists put truth before comfort ...

Define "truth." It obviously can't relate to anything theistic—that wouldn't make sense. So why mention "truth"?

The only way to end prejudice against atheism is to educate people about it. I hope you will consider these comments and learn more about atheism yourself.

Likewise for theism.

In a world of subjectivity (which is the world of an atheist)

Who's to say that theism isn't subjective?

Actually, there is a possibility for an atheist to worship Satan. Satan is not a supreme being and believing in spiritual beings doesn't necessarily make you a theist. It is possible for an atheist to be spiritual. It could also be an exaggerated form of materialism where one labels an object "Satan."

Theism is the belief in the existence of one or more divinities or deities.

I believe Satan would qualify as a deity if he is being worshipped as a supernatural being. If he is mearly a normal object, what's the point of worship?

Who's to say that theism isn't subjective?

Matter is perceived the way God allows it to be perceived. I think George Berkeley put it in better words, but i can't find the exact statement right now.

Theism is the belief in the existence of one or more divinities or deities.

I believe Satan would qualify as a deity if he is being worshipped as a supernatural being. [1]If he is mearly a normal object, what's the point of worship?
Without a god, theism is equal to atheism. The definition which you have chosen assumes that divine beings are equal to that which cause them to be. Satan being worshipped as a god does not necessarily in turn cause Satan to be a god from an objective view point.

[1]Indeed, what's the point? But what's the point in worshipping Satan anyway?

Atheists don't believe in God or Gods. There is no such thing as a weak atheist by your definition. To an atheist, the only "god-like" beings that could possibly exist would be alien beings from other worlds and we shouldn't worship them.Everything comes to exist and previously did not exist. If God exists, it's a being that once did not exist and came to exist. A God interacts with the known universe, therefore a God is comprised of universally known mass energy and is detectable. God has not been detected. God does not exist.Atheism is not subjectivity. Only a foolish non-atheist would make such a ridiculous assertion. I'm an atheist.Rape my daughter and I will harm you. Steal my property and I will harm you. Attack my people and I will attack you. Respect me and mine and I agree, in turn, to respect you and what is yours. This is the basis of civilized behavior. Many animals instinctively obey these same laws among their own kind. Animals haven't read the Bible.Theism is inferior to atheism. Theism places another being's interest ahead of human interest. This is unnatural. Any creature that doesn't support its own species ahead of all others is doomed to extinction, and rightfully so. For a religious person to understand atheism is simple. As a child you believed in Santa Claus, but at some point you realized that Santa could not exist. It was a sad day, but you got over it. You may have had friends who still believed in Santa, but you held your tongue. They would come to the realization in their own time. Today, you can't imagine believing in Santa. For anybody to believe in him seems ridiculous, but you hold your tongue. Imagine, though, that children were murdering each other over Santa. Some kids claiming that Santa visits their homes, though they don't have a chimney, and other kids claiming that Santa only visits homes with chimneys. If these kids were killing each other, wouldn't you feel compelled to stop humoring them and tell them that there is no Santa? Or would you foolishly take sides in the argument?Generally, I dislike atheists who feel the need to attack religion. Religious people love their beliefs as children love Santa, but I sometimes am compelled to speak up when religious people try to force their beliefs on others.

Personally I respect every ones believes.We are free to believe what we want.But the fact that I respect them, does not mean that I can understand those persons.How can someone not believe in a Creator?? (Does not human life begun sometime?) Everything is for a reason... does not mean life too? Or who is controlling al the universe??Someone needs to be behind all of this...

I have a better idea than this atheism "sh**" I found on the net a quote that I entirely agree, it sounds like that:"...until now I thought I was an atheist until I realized I am GOD" ;) what do you think ? I can't be wrong right.. ?maybe I'm an atheist, but I can't be...as long as I believe in GOD...and it's good to believe in something, but not to become fanatic, I have fanatics! (I mean they are just a sort of retarded part of myself of which I'm glad I've got rid of, but I'm really sorry for them...they can't just see the truth and maybe never will)

Edited by Sica-GURU (see edit history)

I have a better idea than this atheism "sh**" I found on the net a quote that I entirely agree, it sounds like that:"...until now I thought I was an atheist until I realized I am GOD" ;) what do you think ? I can't be wrong right.. ?
maybe I'm an atheist, but I can't be...as long as I believe in GOD...

if you are a "GOD" how is it that you just realized it?
You had to find a quote to realize this ??? ;)

guess I don't have to answer if I'm God but I'll tell you as human...Jesus really needed to die ?! ...no He didn't but for the rest to understand, He done that..and I'm not really a complete God or human if I can say so... we let ourselves fooled by others, and I believe there's no better way to learn something other by doing yourself... so do your homework and You will see that there's not a big difference between you and God, maybe you'll see there's none ;)

I did not read all of your topic content, so i am just going to say what i ant about atheism.In my personal experience and education about the subject, atheism is when someone does not have religious beleaves, as in beleaving in a god, or in a specific god, they neither beleave in one god nor in many gods, atheist persons only beleave in themselves, in what they truly beleave, in what they truly see with their eyes.Atheist persons, obviously, do not beleave in god/gods, if they only beleave what they see, that is something they will never understand nor beleave.Atheist people do not have necessarily a moral understanding of things in general, they just know what is bad and what is grong, and that is almost the same thing as beeing catholic, besides the fact, big fact, they catholics beleave in god, in the God (yes, i am also catholic, as many millions of people arround the world, with proud by the way).I do not like atheist people very much, they tend to not beleave in things that, although exist, can not be touch, that can not be seen, that can not be eard, and that is really not who i am at all.I beleave in something greater that the phisic world, i beleave there is much more to see, to feel, to know specially, but i guess that first you must beleave.

For a religious person to understand atheism is simple. As a child you believed in Santa Claus, but at some point you realized that Santa could not exist. It was a sad day, but you got over it. You may have had friends who still believed in Santa, but you held your tongue. They would come to the realization in their own time. Today, you can't imagine believing in Santa. For anybody to believe in him seems ridiculous, but you hold your tongue.

A religious person can include an atheist. It is not hard for a theist to understand that atheists don't believe in any god. But a person that runs off of logic cannot deny the existence of a god (read ahead, or below, for proof). Man is ignorant and for this reason it is impossible for man to bring up evidence against the existence of a god.
On another note, i would never teach my child about Santa Claus, but teaching my child about God should be first priority.

Everything comes to exist [that] previously did not exist. If God exists, it's a being that once did not exist and came to exist. A God interacts with the known universe, therefore a God is comprised of universally known mass energy and is detectable. God has not been detected. God does not exist.

The first sentence you state is quite a premise. But this quote is subjective. "Existence" in this case is limited to a human's perspective. A god does not need to interact with the universe, therefore if such a god was made of energy that is detectable by our technology, it would not be detected.
But let's accept that God (as i know Him) interacts with His creation. How does that mean that He is made out of energy that is detectable by our technology? You imply that if He wasn't, He would not be detected. You say we have not detected Him through our technology. Therefore He is not made out of what you believe He is made out of.

Atheism is not subjectivity. Only a foolish non-atheist would make such a ridiculous assertion.

Foolishness is irrelevant here. I don't see how atheism isn't subjective. A person that makes up their own way of life lives in subjectivity.

Rape my daughter and I will harm you. Steal my property and I will harm you. Attack my people and I will attack you. Respect me and mine and I agree, in turn, to respect you and what is yours. This is the basis of civilized behavior. Many animals instinctively obey these same laws among their own kind. Animals haven't read the Bible.

Animals are uncivilized—being civilized is what makes us different than animals; to live as an animal is to be uncivilized. Animals are not bound to laws (i'm not speaking of physical, universal laws; anyone can obey physical, universal laws without even trying; people even do it in their sleep), these laws that we're bound to that animals aren't is what promotes civilized behavior (assuming they're not foolish laws).

Theism is inferior to atheism. Theism places another being's interest ahead of human interest. This is unnatural. Any creature that doesn't support its own species ahead of all others is doomed to extinction, and rightfully so.

Wow, an outrageous premise in the first sentence. In a world of subjectivity, nothing is greater than the other. You say it is unnatural to be selfish, but your proof for it doesn't support it. Even animals will place themselves above their own species when their own lives are at stake. You think they care about their own species? So long as they themselves are alive that is all that matters to them. "Survival of the fittest" anyone?
Also, in the case of theism, placing whatever or whoever above whatever or whoever is dependent on the religion. By your own words, the mere fact that you are willing to act as an animal places you below others. You say place the interest of others ahead of yourself for the sake of your own species, yet you care not for the interest of those that have harmed you, whether they did it indirectly or directly; and, ironcially, you most likely support abortion. Atheism's morality, along with theism's morality, cannot be defined in a general sense. The only thing that can be generally defined is whether or not they believe in God or a god. Theism and atheism in this case (i.e. in general) is no greater than the other.

... but I sometimes am compelled to speak up when religious people try to force their beliefs on others.

By your words, you are a religious person; by your definition of "force," you have committed the same act.
Faith cannot be done away with; everyone bears faith.

Prejudice never ends for someone who is considered a heretic by society. A society with more than 2,000 years of slavery to a denominating culture. One based on monotheism, blind faith, hatred for nature, suppression of the females and Human interest.

By this, that would make me an atheist.

I forgot the exact quote, but it goes something like this. "Everyone is a disbeliever, I just believe in one God less than you do."

In a world of subjectivity (which is the world of an atheist), there is nothing greater than the other; "good" and "evil" are but mere words that can't be objectively defined in a subjective world.

The world and reality doesn't comprise of things "good" and "evil" in entirety. Claiming the "world of an Atheist" to be subjective deriving from that is just utter foolishness or precisely, intentional ignorance. Religion is not needed at all levels of moral justification, wait, it isn't needed at all. Reality is never subjective for anyone, if someone says it is. Just cause some physical harm, and ask them, "Why did you subject yourself to the pain?"

It's not possible for an Atheist to be spiritual, at all. The spiritual being has to be supernatural, hence, unbelievable.

Matter is perceived the way God allows it to be perceived.

So much for his benevolence? When will he learn what man learnt? Brainwashing is morally incorrect. XD

I believe Satan would qualify as a deity if he is being worshipped as a supernatural being. If he is mearly a normal object, what's the point of worship?

Without a god, theism is equal to atheism. The definition which you have chosen assumes that divine beings are equal to that which cause them to be. Satan being worshipped as a god does not necessarily in turn cause Satan to be a god from an objective view point.

The point really is, Atheism doesn't have any place for anything supernatural, including Satan. If used symbolically, like in LaVey Satanic practices, then that's a different story all together. The argument that Satan is not God is completely out of the ball park, he's still supernatural. Something which nature can't allow to happen.

Indeed, what's the point? But what's the point in worshipping Satan anyway?

What's the point in worshiping God anyway?

Atheism is not subjectivity. Only a foolish non-atheist would make such a ridiculous assertion.

Exactly. It doesn't take much for a person to realize that reality, empirically is not subjective, just how you perceive it. If someone is still adamant, hold them down and beat them down with melee weapons. Then ask them, "Is reality really subjective?" XD

Theism is inferior to atheism. Theism places another being's interest ahead of human interest. This is unnatural. Any creature that doesn't support its own species ahead of all others is doomed to extinction, and rightfully so.

The last line sums it up. Edited by sylenzednuke (see edit history)

For a religious person to understand atheism is simple. As a child you believed in Santa Claus, but at some point you realized that Santa could not exist. It was a sad day, but you got over it. You may have had friends who still believed in Santa, but you held your tongue. They would come to the realization in their own time. Today, you can't imagine believing in Santa. For anybody to believe in him seems ridiculous, but you hold your tongue.

It's not that simple, really. "Who created us? What's our purpose in life?" And the same old answered questions again and again.

How can someone not believe in a Creator?? (Does not human life begun sometime?) Everything is for a reason... does not mean life too? Or who is controlling al the universe??

How? By understanding the true nature of things. Human life did begin sometime, but when we know why and how, what's the reason to believe? Life's reasons are completely subjective and the Universe doesn't need to be controlled.

The first sentence you state is quite a premise. But this quote is subjective. "Existence" in this case is limited to a human's perspective. A god does not need to interact with the universe, therefore if such a god was made of energy that is detectable by our technology, it would not be detected.

Human's perspective. Hmm. Weren't we over this argument long back?

But let's accept that God (as i know Him) interacts with His creation. How does that mean that He is made out of energy that is detectable by our technology? You imply that if He wasn't, He would not be detected. You say we have not detected Him through our technology. Therefore He is not made out of what you believe He is made out of.

"Shooting arrows along tangents never bursts the bubble."

You still assume upon that he has to exist, the only variability here is that he's made up of different energy but no "proof of God" is ever complete without assuming the very answer in the start.

Foolishness is irrelevant here. I don't see how atheism isn't subjective. A person that makes up their own way of life lives in subjectivity.

"Good" and "evil" are subjective, but the World doesn't comprise of them alone. The psychological characteristics of life are subjective, not reality as a whole. Reality is subjective for no one, until in effect under hallucinogenics, responsiveness without stimuli. A very important stage of evolution according to one of the most interesting theories I've ever stumbled across.

Animals are uncivilized?being civilized is what makes us different than animals; to live as an animal is to be uncivilized. Animals are not bound to laws (i'm not speaking of physical, universal laws; anyone can obey physical, universal laws without even trying; people even do it in their sleep), these laws that we're bound to that animals aren't is what promotes civilized behavior (assuming they're not foolish laws).

We didn't always have "civilized behavior" under our belt until we invented what's known as a civilization. We're a step above in the ladder of evolution doesn't mean we can cut ourselves off and ignore our known history.

The laws we are bound to have been made by ourselves and wouldn't have meant an iota of what they do unless our society was shaped in this certain way. Society will evolve like it always has, and with it, language, culture, laws and religion would too.

Nothing is greater than the other. You say it is unnatural to be selfish, but your proof for it doesn't support it. Even animals will place themselves above their own species when their own lives are at stake. You think they care about their own species? So long as they themselves are alive that is all that matters to them. "Survival of the fittest" anyone?

Ignorance and assumptions. An animal can put their life at stake to save someone of the same species. Ever seen Discovery? Or was it too much of a heresy for you to watch it? When have Humans always defended their own kind? Infact, we kill more of our own kind than any other animal. Survival of the fittest is everywhere, in school, in work, in a family, in the entire social outfit. Well, animals compete in the evolutionary ladder. We waste our time on the social ladder.

Also, in the case of theism, placing whatever or whoever above whatever or whoever is dependent on the religion. By your own words, the mere fact that you are willing to act as an animal places you below others. You say place the interest of others ahead of yourself for the sake of your own species, yet you care not for the interest of those that have harmed you, whether they did it indirectly or directly; and, ironcially, you most likely support abortion. Atheism's morality, along with theism's morality, cannot be defined in a general sense. The only thing that can be generally defined is whether or not they believe in God or a god. Theism and atheism in this case (i.e. in general) is no greater than the other.

"Act like an animal" for that? Tell me, what would've you done is something of that sort happened to you? Acted like an animal? Which you very well are like all of us? I agree morality cannot be defined in a general sense in either case but in the case of superiority, you have to take alot more things than that into concern.

Faith cannot be done away with; everyone bears faith.

Agreed. Though nothing can make me not wish it was different.

Prejudice never ends for someone who is considered a heretic by society. A society with more than 2,000 years of slavery to a denominating culture. One based on monotheism, [1:1]blind faith, [1:2]hatred for nature, [1:3:1]suppression of the females and [1:3:2]Human interest.

[2]I forgot the exact quote, but it goes something like this. "Everyone is a disbeliever, I just believe in one God less than you do."

[3:1]The world and reality doesn't comprise of things "good" and "evil" in entirety. [3:2]Claiming the "world of an Atheist" to be subjective deriving from that is just utter foolishness or precisely, intentional ignorance. [3:3]Religion is not needed at all levels of moral justification, wait, it isn't needed at all. [3:4]Reality is never subjective for anyone, if someone says it is. Just cause some physical harm, and ask them, "Why did you subject yourself to the pain?"

[4]It's not possible for an Atheist to be spiritual, at all. The spiritual being has to be supernatural, hence, unbelievable.

[5:1]So much for his benevolence? [5:2]When will he learn what man learnt? Brainwashing is morally incorrect. XD

[6:1]The point really is, Atheism doesn't have any place for anything supernatural, including Satan. ... The argument that Satan is not God is completely out of the ball park, he's still supernatural. [6:2]Something which nature can't allow to happen.

[7]What's the point in worshiping God anyway?

[8]Exactly. It doesn't take much for a person to realize that reality, empirically is not subjective, just how you perceive it. If someone is still adamant, hold them down and beat them down with melee weapons. Then ask them, "Is reality really subjective?" XD

[9]The last line sums it up.

[1:1]If there is a reason behind it, can it be called blind?

[1:2]Proverbs 12:10

[1:3:1]Proverbs 31:30

[1:3:2]Leviticus 19:18

[2]So long as one believes in at least one god, they're a theist.

[3:1]I know it doesn't. But that doesn't make it objective; i can still argue subjectivity.

[3:2]It's really neither of which you say it is. You are just merely arguing from physicalism. Prove to me that the person is really feeling pain if i were to do that, for i can only be sure of my own existence.

[3:3]Religion may not be, but God is required.

[3:4]Refer to the ending of my last statement in 3:2.

[4]An atheist can be a spiritual being; them not knowing that they are doesn't make them non-spiritual; them believing that they aren't does not make them non-spiritual. It is not hard for a spirit to be entrapped in a natural object. Also, a being being supernatural does not make it unbelievable, for if such statement were absolute, everyone would not believe in the supernatural; logic cannot do away with a spiritual realm.

[5:1]What He permits and doesn't permit does not do away with His benevolence. It is better to limit a being that will use things for their own satisfaction.

[5:2]By the definition which you are implying to the word "brainwash," in order to be "morally correct," one must refrain from talking with others, lest they make another person believe something that the person speaking believes.

[6:1]Supernatural doesn't mean supreme, it just means it's not bound to the natural. A spiritual being can be bound to the natural but not a supernatural being. Atheists can worship Satan 'cause Satan is just a supernatural being. Atheism doesn't include any supreme, supernatural being.

[6:2]Supernatural is above natural, so the natural has no power over the supernatural.

[7]It's a way of showing thanks. Actions speak louder than words and you can't repay God with something He can cause into existence.

[8]Refer to my 3:4.

[9]Yeah, it promotes researching in animal lifestyles. Doing such research will show that animals do not care about the survival of their species, the most they'll care about is their children; even then, some animals will leave there children.

[1]Human's perspective. Hmm. Weren't we over this argument long back?

[2]You still assume upon that he has to exist, the only variability here is that he's made up of different energy but no "proof of God" is ever complete without assuming the very answer in the start.

[3]... The psychological characteristics of life are subjective, not reality as a whole. Reality is subjective for no one, until in effect under hallucinogenics, responsiveness without stimuli. A very important stage of evolution according to one of the most interesting theories I've ever stumbled across.

[4]We didn't always have "civilized behavior" under our belt until we invented what's known as a civilization. We're a step above in the ladder of evolution doesn't mean we can cut ourselves off and ignore our known history.

[5]The laws we are bound to have been made by ourselves and wouldn't have meant an iota of what they do unless our society was shaped in this certain way.

[6:1]An animal can put their life at stake to save someone of the same species. Ever seen Discovery? [6:2]Or was it too much of a heresy for you to watch it? [6:3]When have Humans always defended their own kind? ...

[7:1]"Act like an animal" for that? Tell me, what would've you done is something of that sort happened to you? Acted like an animal? Which you very well are like all of us? [7:2]...but in the case of superiority, you have to take alot more things than that into concern.

[1]Yes we were. ;)

[2]If there was any assumption started, it was not from me, for i was addressing a point made by someone else. I used deductive logic to prove that their reasoning does not disprove the existence of God. And as i've said earlier, logic cannot lead to the disbelief in the existence of a god. For this reason, atheists run off of faith concerning the existence of a god.

[3]You're arguing from physicalism again.

[4]If only it was our history. The theory of evolution tends to appeal to probability. But define "civilization;" a group in a location? By then it would be a natural occurance, probably by the thought that it is safer to be in numbers. Therefore to be civilized cannot deal with "civilization," it is the ability to act beyond the ways which animals act. So, as it is, we did always have it "under our belt."

[5]I'm not entirely sure what you mean here.

[6:1]I know it can, but in my statement, as i took the word from the other person, i said "species," which means the entire species. One alone isn't the entire species. And this one was most likely its own child.

[6:2]What religious document is it trying to refute?

[6:3]Can't this question be perceived the same way you perceived my statement?

[7:1]Depending on the events at the time, i may act like an animal. But consider my 7:2.

[7:2]Is this directed to me? 'Cause in the section you quote, i say "By your own words..." and continue on.