xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
namrack

Eee Pc thinking about asus eeepc?

So fellas, whose got an EEE pc already? do you recommend them? Anybody know when 901, 1000, and 1000H become available for the USA? Also if you have anything to add about competitors (msi wind, acer aspire 1, hp mini note, etc.) post about them.Me personally I'm waiting for the 901 to become available in the USA, that's my buy. Only cons I've heard so far include a) the price and B.) the keyboard; but for a small size you have to sacrifice some keyboard.

Edited by namrack (see edit history)

Hi, i dont have one, but a friend of mine yes.I dont recomend you that pc, it is really very small. It is better to buy a laptop or a palm instead of such a thing. I cant use it, the screen is small and i cant read from it.I think that the only pro of the eeepc is that you can take it with you and put it in your pocket.Also the hardware that it uses is really cheap and the performance is some bad, also the space of the "hard disk" is very small and you will need to add more in order to use it in a good way.Regards, Seba

I was thinking about getting one for my mom, but I decided not to, because budget wasn't exactly a problem for me, it's specs aren't the best(obviously), screen's tiny, etc..It sounds like a good idea, but I think that there should be an option for a non-solid state drive, because the choices are either extremely small, or extremely expensive.

the asus eee pc was ment for the developing country and there it will be even cheaper .Basically , you can browse the internet with it , do small things . It has a really small flash drive so you can't do much with it .

I recommend it and I don't recommend it.A friend of mine has an eeePC and it's a neat little gadget. The machine itself is rather small, light, and thin... a very portable PC that you can lounge around with in the house with a wireless network. The specs are nothing to really gawk at, but that's a strength of the eeePC, if you think about it.I would love to have one, but at the same time, I don't need one because I already have an HP tc1100 tablet PC, which is about the size or slightly larger than the eeePC.I would recommend it to someone who doesn't want to spend the money for a full-fledged machine that primarily uses the computer for word processing, Internet, e-mail, and instant messaging. Productivity would be the name of the game with this Asus computer... I wouldn't push it to play any of the newer games today, but I hear that people have gotten World of Warcraft to work on it, which could be a joy for some people willing to stick with the classics of yesteryear (or anything that doesn't call for heavy system requirements to run).My thoughts could change if I ever get one, but I don't see that happening. :)

I must admit I like idea behind eeepc but there is alot better things to buy for price of 400 euros or if you would add 150 ,more then you could buz a lot better model from the HP in the same size.

It's all down to what you want a laptop for.They're designed to be ultra portable for students, Developing countries (as already mentioned) and for business types. Its not designed for anyone really computer savvy (in my opinion) Just for someone who wants to type and surf. The PC for grandma if you like.if you want something with a bigger hard drive or more oomph, get a 'real' laptop. the kind you pay serious money for.N.B When I said 'Real' I didn't mean to offend, I simply meant a 'serious' laptop. with dual core, etc etc.I would like to get a copy of the linux that comes with it working.... I've downloaded an iso and it doesn't work with Q kju.... no luck so far,

I would like to get a copy of the linux that comes with it working.... I've downloaded an iso and it doesn't work with Q kju.... no luck so far,

It's completely OK for you to want to try out the distro (Xandros) that comes with the eeePC, but I wouldn't recommend it. It has proprietary parts and it isn't that much stable as other distros. If you are planning to buy an eeePC than I would recommend you to install eeeXubuntu 7.10 on it, as I heard it's pretty much stable and you can even run compiz on it! One small note: the def. Xubuntu theme for GDM causes X.org to crash - you should change your default GDM theme to something other than the default to prevent that.

Please don't get the Win Xp version, don't let the part of the money go to Microsoft and their evil monopoly in lots of parts of the world (maybe not in the US, but here in Europe, and in my country Microsoft makes people stupid, and makes them think dumb things and avoid every single product that does not come from them :) )

Please don't get the Win Xp version, don't let the part of the money go to Microsoft and their evil monopoly in lots of parts of the world (maybe not in the US, but here in Europe, and in my country Microsoft makes people stupid, and makes them think dumb things and avoid every single product that does not come from them :P )

I'm a sucker for Microsoft Office XP, praise Windows XP Professional SP2 over most operating systems for compatibility and usage reasons, and don't have too much complaint over any bugs or hassles that I have to deal with. Then again, Microsoft didn't get a dime from me... :)

Wouldn't it just be a cheaper deal just to go out and buy an eeePC in a Linux flavor and then opt to install Windows using an existing license "from a computer that you won't be using Windows on anymore?" :P

Although I do not not a lot about netbooks, I know one thing that makes them more popular (and will probably improve and make them more popular): cloud computing. Simply put, cloud computing is processing somewhere else so your computer doesn't need as much processing power (like netbooks). Why buy processing power if you can just have someone else do the processing for you?