xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

Parkour / Le Parkour aka freerunning

Hey, anyone into Parkour also known as freerunning? Its great exercise and great fun. Parkour is very basically the art of movement where participants (otherwise known as 'Free-runners') use objects within their urban surroundings, to create new and interesting ways of moving. It encompasses running, jumping, vaulting and climbing to overcome these obstacles, where the ultimate aim is to do so in the most fluid and flowing way possible. For people unfamiliar to Parkour, the easiest picture to paint is to say that what we do is the closest you can get to the Matrix, Spiderman and Hong Kong martial arts movies in the sense of movement, but without the need for special FX or wires. Get past that mental picture and what you have in front of you is a deep discipline where, as a beginner you'll find yourself practising plenty of singular moves (similar to how skaters practise) but as you become more proficient, you'll find yourself automatically linking things together with the eventual goal coming in the form of one fluid run without any hesitation. Parkour has always been there from the very beginning....You just need to open your eyes and then go out to explore. A great site to check it out at is /urbanfreeflow/?_fb_noscript=1

This is extremely interesting. It is quite dangerous too...I saw a person once do it...Jumping from building to building.

Many of you may or may not have heard of Parkour. Parkour is the art of movement using your surroundings to manuever up, and over, and through obstacles. Simply put, its freestyle running. The Matrix has many instances of this sport, however it is glamour'fied with Hollywood effects. Stunts like wall running, jumping over bars (like hurdles but metal bars), front flips, rooftop chases, its all a developed sport, and its called Parkour.

I start PK'ng about a month ago, and it has rapidly changed the way I view my environments. Rather than how I used to think, one tracked, example: ill go around the fence through the access gate, why not run jump over the gate, or tap a foot off a wall at a running angle and jump over the fence? Its becoming a way of life for me, if anyone is interested check out this fun sites.

/urbanfreeflow?_fb_noscript=1
http://www.hugedomains.com/domain_profile.cfm?d=screwgravity&e=com
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

this stuff is very cool. i saw a french movie not so long ago and parkour was the basis for the movie. very cool to watch and do. these guys require so much strength and agility and seeing them jump from building to building is unbelievable.i think the name of that movie is b-12 or b-14.something along those lines. not a bad flick too.In one documentary i saw the pros that ran a training school in france required the juniors to do something like 6 months physical training and learning before they could even do the simplest of movements and jumps.it is quite full on.

Well one of the biggest growing physical sports is free running, also known as parkour
It involves one or more people who attempt to cross all obstacles they come across by using acrobatic moves, including - vaulting, jumping, sumersaults, etc. Whilst also trying to move in one smooth free flowing motion.

Free running requires heaps of skill, body control and flexibility. Lots of practice is needed to be able to learn moves and achieve big jumps, falls, etc.
There are heaps of moves to learn and ways which to mix them all together, for more info these sites are good

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
http://www.learnparkour.com/new/intro.php

Goodluck ;)

in addition, i'd like to point out that it is very important to work on the basics when it comes to parkour. they are a little boring but you will greatly appreciate it later when the basics become natural reflexes. to be general and off the top of my head there are at least 4 basics. i'd say they are precisions, landings, judgement, and practice.

precisions
precision jumping is probably one of the most important movements of parkour. without this skill, you cant handle jumping from one point to another without stopping your momentum, an example of this is jumping from tree to tree, logs or walls. in parkour you can find yourself in some very high places, and with out precise jumping you could be in for a fatal mistake. of course the funny part of this is that making a precision landing isnt that hard its having the understanding of how far you can really jump and land with control. after all power is nothing without control.

landings
landing is by nature a result of almost all parkour movements. common landings are with both feet, rolling, and control with momentum to continue running. these are some of the most important things to practice. because without fail you will one day fall and you will need a breakfall, and done improperly can be more damaging than a plain fall.

judgment
its vital to safe practice to know your limits, without it you will make huge, painful mistakes. and through regular practice you will know and be able to expand on your abilities.

practice
as mentioned practice is paramount, its not enough to practiice once and think that you know how to do parkour. you should practice at least once a week, to suplemnt other forms of excersize, if thats not the case you should do parkour 2-3 times a week. being regular will expand your ability and build a level of comfort with extreme movements.

also its very good to train with other people, most areas have someone who you can practice parkour with. if neccessary use the internet, like your doing now. check out parkour.com and youtube.com.

Hi there, Is there anybody know about Parkour? It's look like one kind of sport that some guys run and jump over the building, but I think it's really Martial Arts. I like it but don't know how to start. is there someplace that is teaching Parkour?

i've merged all parkour-related topics so you can read more on the subject from earlier posts, rubyvu. :Dyou might want to check out SIMILAR TOPICS as shown below.

need helpParkour / Le Parkour

has anyone seen a movie where a kid got injured following  to do some stunts watching a group of parkour. Then the government hospital refused to do his operation which was expensive but the poor kid cant afford. Then that group of parkour do some magnificient thing to earn the whole money. Icant remember the name of the movie because I was kid then. And as long as I can remember that was a french movie. Can anyone help me with the name...I want to see this movie again.

-reply by jamil