xisto Community
Prophet.K

Vbulletin Or Ipb

Okay so recently i got the new IPB 2.3.3 Company package that cost me about 300 dollars, and my friend told me that i should get a vBulletin because a lot of people use it and it was a really good thing or forums to use. So i got it and i don't really know which one to keep because their all pretty much the same thing exept tht the vBulletin has a little more themes, or a lot more themes/skins that the IPB gives.
I also like how IPB is easy to manage compared to vBulletin which is a little hard to control..

Anyone tell em which one is better and why the forum is better then the other one.

300 dollars? A standard license costs 149.99, and a community suite costs 249.99.

Nonetheless, I think you've made a wise decision. IPB is going in the right direction, while I feel like Vbulletin is going in the opposite. IPB came out with their FREE bug tracker, and a couple of months later Vbulletin does the same, but they require you to pay a 60 dollar license fee to use it :lol:

Plus, Vbulletin 4.0 doesn't come out till next year, while IPB 3.0 will be out by the end of the month at least. So the clear choice, for me, is obviously IPB.

i'd go with ipboard. unless you really want to customize it use ipboard. its simple and easy to use and the themes it comes with are pretty good. ipboard is more friendly i think and you don't really need to have that good a knowledge with modding and stuff like that to run an ipboard forum. and besides Xisto uses ipboard and Xisto is great so i guess we have one great example in front of our eyes of ipboard. although most of the big forums like in the top 20 biggest forums by number of members use vbulletin. but thats probably because they have really big budgets and have plenty of time to fiddle around with there forums.

You can't really say that one is better than the other. Although both are similar, they do differ in many ways and it depends on the creator which he uses. A lot of it is user preference, and will be down to which you prefer. Myself, I prefer IPB, but more would go for VB.

I like PhpBB3. It has very few mods or themes at the moment, as it hasn't gotten a large enough community yet, but it's fast and easy to use. The admin panel is pretty easy, but gives lots of options. Since I'm too cheap to buy a script, I think PhpBB3 is close enough for what I'd need.

Demo: free forums

Ok, this is my favorite topic to discuss on...I personally think that both the packages have there pros n cons. And both the packages are really really superb and have no match.Lets discuss them in details, so that you can better know with which one you hsould go:-Pros of IPB:-Very pleasant lookNice AJAX effectsVery powerful in terms of featuresEase of UseVery user-friendly admin panelNice themes availableCons of IPB:-Very heavy on serverVery slow mail deliveryLess widely usedMods require too much file edittingPros of vBulletin:-Most Widely UsedLow server loadFaster mail deliveryMods are easy to installOver make over is easyCons of vBulletin:-Variety of themes available are limitedNot so user-friendly admin panelAJAX isn't implemented properlyI hope now you can easily identify which package you must use.Hope I helped you.

It depends on what you want from a forum, my experience shows that VBulletin is faster in most of the times, i have installed both of them on a same server and gave them exact database (which was around 500mb for VB and 470mb for IPB) and as i said VB was able to load the pages more faster (both with the default theme and no mod installed) so i think in total VB is a little better if your visitors are not having high speed internet connection. but if they have enough speed then the difference is not noticable but you should be sure that your visitors will have at least a 1mbps internet connection because with lower of that i can say that ipb will be a little slower and sometimes with poor connection it even fails to load the pages, so if your visitors are having powerful connections then i can say they will not feel any difference between IPB and VB.Now the profile system is something that depends on you but i think that profiles in IPB is more advanced (by default, i know that you can add many features to VB too) and i IPB is having a better looking profile, many options and a lot of customization which lets users to even have their private social network through their profiles and of course some of these features are available in newer versions of VB and some others are provided by plugins and other modifications but using them will slow down your forum and this is when IPB shows itself as it loads advanced profiles more faster than VB but if you use the simple profile of VB then the speed of VB is just a lot faster than IPB, but do not forget that some of the features that IPB gives you by default in its profile section is something that is very important for your forum if you have many visitors and it can make your users come around sooner and be in your forum more and spent more time in your forum which if you are in marketing means that you will get more money and you can get the prices for your ads higher and your website price goes higher.VB has more mods and more resources for customization of your forum, themes of IPB are more beautiful but themes of VB are most of the times simple and of course lighter. but anyway don't forget about the new forum software that is not a bad thing and i think in future it will be used in many forums that are currently using VB. XenForo is a real competitor and it has the power of winning, it is easy to use as well as having very advanced features that gives you incredible abilities. it is fast and beautiful so it has both advantages of IPB and VB and this is a big plus for it, it has a great support too and the price is nice too but of course number of plugins and mods compared to IPB and VB are not enough yet and it needs a year or two to show its power but right now many peoples have installed it and are using it, so you can give its demo a try.