xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
bishoujo

Colors In Foods Have Different Health Purposes

I chanced upon a book called 'What Colour is Your Diet' by David Heber, which is about how different colored foods can help to nourish different parts of your body.

Red and pink fruits and vegetables help protect the heart by controlling high blood pressure and protect against circulatory problems resulting from diabetes. Examples of these fruits and vegetables include watermelon, pink grapefruit, tomato, watermelon, strawberries, raspberries and beetroot.

Green fruits and vegetables help to protect the liver. They are common in everyday food and should not be hard to get. Greens aren't just about leaves and veggies. You can also include avocado, green apples, green grapes, kiwifruit, lime, green pears, green peas and honey dew in your diet.

Black fruits and vegetables, especially black beans, protect the kidney by lowering cholesterol and controlling blood sugar levels after a meal. So other then protecting the kidney, they are also good choice for people who suffer from diabetes or insulin resistance. Other examples include Chinese olives and black currants.

White is for protecting the lungs. Examples include garlic, parsnips, white peaches, potatoes, pears, white mushrooms and white corn.

Orange fruits protect the spleen, especially oranges, which are rich in vitamin C and Vitamin A, which are good for the spleen. Other orange fruits include tangerins, Hami melon, papaya and pumpkin.

Purple foods are good for protecting the brain. They also help to control cholesterol intake by the blood stream when one is given a high cholesterol diet. Examples of purple fruits and vegetables include onions, blueberries, blackberries, grapes and purple cabbage.

If you are interested in reading about the scientific reasonings behind all these, you can check out the book itself.

That's pretty interesting... I guess orange foods are colored oftentimes colored orange because they have beta-carotene in them, which is really healthy for you, and that's probably why the rest of these are true as well... certain nutrients are certain colors or are contained in the different pigments in different foods. Thanks for the interesting read!

I've also heard the that shape of the fruit will determine what parts of the body it helps.for example, when you cut a carrot through the middle, and look at it, it looks like an eye, doesn't it?and kidney beans, as they are aptly named, are good for kidneys?A tomato has 4 chambers, and it good for the heart?!Grapes hang in clusters which are shaped like a heart, so they're also good for the heart.Walnuts look like mini brains, and they help the brain!Celery are sticks, so they help the bones.

I wonder what honey is good for? It's a deep golden color. Does that mean that it's good for everything? I know that honey is an antimicrobial/antibiotic. It's actually quite good at killing germs that some drugs can't handle. (See: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/). As far as nuts, they are quite healthy. You might want to check out Dr. Mercola's web site for more information on them. Not only are they high in protein, but fat as well! And contrary to popular opinion, fat isn't necessarily a bad thing in moderation (and all things should be moderated, right?) I personally prefer cashews, almonds, and macadamias due to taste. The only problem with nuts is that they have enzyme inhibitors, which make them hard to digest. They are like seeds, meant to produce offspring and new plants. So they have to have a defense against birds and people eating them and no new plants being produced :D. I've heard that you should soak and dry them to cure this problem. Overnight soaking, and somehow getting the water out of them afterward, which I haven't discovered how to do yet.

That is interesting. I had never heard of any of that before, but I guess it does make logical sense. The colors of fruits and vegetables have to be spurred by some type of chemical/nutrient. So if blueberries, blackberries, and grapes are all the same color, it would make perfectly logical sense for them to contain the same chemicals/nutrients and therefore provide nutritional value for the same part of the body. What I'm now wondering is if taste and/or texture of the fruit or vegetable has anything to do with what body parts receive the most benefit from that specific food. I'm guessing you could easily find similiarites between fruits and vegetables by comparing any physical feature.