xisto Community
claudlu

Flash Movie Decompiling

hello.I am pretty new to flash. Just got Sothink SWF Decompiler 4.1 and Flash 8 and I would like to edit a .swf movie.Of course, I used the Sothink SWF Decompiler to convert the .swf movie to .fla and also to export the .swf's resource contents ( buttons, fonts, text, etc ).I am interested to editing the buttons and texts and then rebuild back the .swf movie in order to use it. Ok, I export the resource contents and I edit the texts and fonts but how do I rebuild back the whole .swf using the new modifications made ?I know i can convert .fla to .swf, but how do I convert the resources which I exported and edited to .swf or .fla ?I mean I saw that in .fla i can edit the movie process, but not the buttons, texts and fonts, to edit these i need to export the content resources.Ok, I do that, I export everything I edit what I need to, but after that what do i do to rebuild everything back again ?I would really apreciate some help here, thanks.

Edited by claudlu (see edit history)

The "legality" of this is in dire question."Editing the buttons and texts" like removing copyright? Is the .swf online? If so, show me which one it is, then I might try to help. Being a flash developer, I always tend to scrutinise anyone trying to hack into .swf files. I'm sure you understand why.Here's the reason - why would you want to edit and recompile a swf in the first place? The *only* two reasons - 1) You've lost the fla source, which I can help with. 2) Your trying to rip other peoples work.Sorry for the suspicion but it's well-warranted in such cases as this.

I downloaded a flash template here and I dont want my site to download the copyright crap. Get me right. I'm not saying I want to pretend as if this is a work of my hands. Of cause I will not claim to have created the site but I sure don't want pple to see the copyright stuff. It's just too big! Besides having it there is like having a site with a joomla shortcut icon like this one here. I tried editing the .fla exporting it to .swf to replace the one was there but I still have the copyright thing.
There are so many things I want to change including the images and the on-mouse-over text. I understand some of these thing are editable and it's my fault I can't do it. I need help here.
The other thing I wanted to ask about is if it's posible to thow some php code in there so that u can have a database driven flash site. Actualy my question is can I do everything with these templates that i would do with an html page.

If you really have sothink swf decompiler, which i also have too, not the 4.1 but the version 3, you can convert any swf version to fla, and when you do, the resources you are talking about is when you extract sounds, graphics and other stuff from a swf file, in that case, after the extraction of those recources, you can convert all the swf files to fla.The most simple thing is to convert a swf file to fla, then open flash pro 8 or whatever flash version you have, then work with whatever resources you have on the library, personally, i use sothink swf quicker to edit any swf file on the spot without converting to fla, it is way easier to use sothink swf quicker, it is like opening the fla file, editing it and saving it at the same time, but with a lot more resources then adobe flash pro 8, beleave me.

The result of the fla file will depend a lot on how the original swf was compiled. Sothink will try to make a guess about that but it's not always accurate. That might not be a problem if the resources don't have much code. But if the movieclip depends a lot on the actionscript code you'll get a lot errors in the final fla file.