xisto Community
ivantoar

The Best Free Forum Software Which one do you choose or using right now?

Best free forum software  

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Nowdays, it seems a lot of free forum software developed in the net. Give your opinion about the best one guys. Also it's cons and pro. thank you.Me myself using MyBB right now, before MyBB, I've tried phpBB. I like MyBB because it's easy to install it's mod.

Edited by ivantoar (see edit history)

I like MyBB, but I am waiting for 1.4 to come out for ages... :D so I have been using phpBB3.I have used SMF before and I dislike it, ugly design and SMF2.0 is no improvement at all. I can't afford vB and personally I can't see how its worth the money, and IPB is just the same as vB, but different look. IMHO you shouldn't have to pay for things like forum softwares etc. Well thats just my view, feel free to disagree.A200

personally I feel free to AGREE! I almost fainted looking at VB's and IPB's price! and that's per year.Hmm.. how's modding with phpBB3? Is it complicated or easy?

AEF is the best, though it still needs a bit of work doing to it. In my opinion it is much better than the ones listed above
AEF BB

I think you only have to pay once for IPB and then after for upgrades, you only pay every so often if you want support back. I think, I probably wrong, someone correct me (or agree)

Yes you should have to pay, projects like IP board get lots of qualified people to make it. They cost money and don't do it for opensource. If they didnt IPB would not be what it is today. Thats why when I go to opensource sites, I click the ads.

Edited by kobra500 (see edit history)

Awww... come on guys! Way to leave PunBB out of the poll!

I prefer to use PunBB because it is incredibly light weight.....

Of course.... it doesn't come with PM systems, etc... but you can always integrate those later...

UTF-8 will be coming in the next release, I am told, and a skin editor is being developed.The skins are modifiable using CSS. There are several skins available as downloads.

Awww... come on guys! Way to leave PunBB out of the poll!

I prefer to use PunBB because it is incredibly light weight.....

Of course.... it doesn't come with PM systems, etc... but you can always integrate those later...

yes, it's really light! only about 200 kb installer core! Maybe I'll check it out later

UTF-8 will be coming in the next release, I am told, and a skin editor is being developed.

The skins are modifiable using CSS. There are several skins available as downloads.

Woah, real improvement there. I'll bookmark their site and I'm gonna try it out as soon it finished developed

So far I've built a lot of websites and I've used a lot of forum software, free and paid, and among the free forum software I find phpBB to be the best so far. If you have a basic knowledge of php and if you know how to follow instructions, then you can add some mods to the original core of phpBB to enhance its great qualities and thus it would be even better than those which you actually have to pay for, and the best part of it is that it's still for free :DP.S: I haven't used UTF-8 yet. is it any good?

Hmm.. I don't really know much about UTF-8 too, but many people recommends using UTF-8, so I'll just follow them LOL (I'm a noob, just learn such those things recently)Seems like phpBB is really popular judging by vote count, lets wait for another people opinion :D

Only 1 more person lives phpBB over all the others, not much of a majority!But phpBB3 still is pretty sweet, even if phpBB2 is *BLEEP* as a rock. IMHO the quicker phpBB2 is retired and shafted away, the better. It is a relic and deserves to be dumped. Plus its security is like shite!!

Yea, phpBB is sweet. I'm having 2 forums that runs on MyBB and phpBB. I have to admit both of them sweet, but I still prefer MyBB than phpBB. Anyone here ever tried YaBB or Invision Free?

I prefer SMF. It's really flexible and it's great. There's TinyPortal too, it's a really easy to install portal that allows you to easily write your news, upload files to an upload center etc.But the real flexibility is seen when you combine Joomla with SMF. It's awesome, once again. Flexible content management software + Flexible forum software = ultimate win