xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
fadedmemory

Teach To Travel Teach your native language in a foreign country.

A few years ago while leaving class at the local community college I noticed an advertisement posed on the bulletin board about an opportunity to get paid to visit other countries if you had good grades, and spoke English well. Of course I was skeptical, but intrigued. So I asked around and did a little research and it turns out to be legitimate. I'm sure there are requirements to be met but if you are planning to travel the world why not make some money at it in the process. Since this was a while ago I don't remember if you had to be fluent in the local language of the place you'd be visiting already, or if they teach you the second language but either way it sounded like a good opportunity. I didn't look more into the details because at the time I was unavailable for world travel, however as now I am ready to travel the world I would like to know more about this subject.Have you ever participated in a program similar to what I have mentioned? What were your experiences like? What tips, tricks, and suggestions do you have for anyone interested in this prospect?Any questions, comments, suggestions and feedback of any sort are much appreciated.Thanks, and have a great day!

interesting idea... :D although i have doubts if it would be a profitable venture if one's native language is something other than english, am i correct to assume that? did your research show if it can also be available for native speakers of french, german, or some asian language too?from our part of the world (philippines), some other asian neighbors visit our country to learn more and polish their english skills. this is particularly true for koreans, an abundant surplus of students-cum-tourists to our country. this is quite opposite from the concept you espoused above though, since the "teachers" (mostly college students who get hired as tutors for the purpose of learning/polishing their english skills) do not go out of the way to visit korea and teach, but instead koreans relocate to our place to study. some decide they could learn our native language at the same time as english, but they are mostly interested in english.i hope you can enlighten us more of the company/organization you researched about this.... i'm willing to travel too, and if teaching will make that possible, i am in for the ride. :(

interesting idea... :( although i have doubts if it would be a profitable venture if one's native language is something other than english, am i correct to assume that? did your research show if it can also be available for native speakers of french, german, or some asian language too?
from our part of the world (philippines), some other asian neighbors visit our country to learn more and polish their english skills. this is particularly true for koreans, an abundant surplus of students-cum-tourists to our country. this is quite opposite from the concept you espoused above though, since the "teachers" (mostly college students who get hired as tutors for the purpose of learning/polishing their english skills) do not go out of the way to visit korea and teach, but instead koreans relocate to our place to study. some decide they could learn our native language at the same time as english, but they are mostly interested in english.

i hope you can enlighten us more of the company/organization you researched about this.... i'm willing to travel too, and if teaching will make that possible, i am in for the ride. :(

I apologize but I cannot remember the names of any of the companies that offer this service. I have a really bad memory, hence the nickname :(
I would assume this would be profitable with the knowledge of any 2 languages keeping in mind that you will need to be fluent in both languages, and one of the languages is the native language of the place you plan on visiting. Again, this is just an assumption but I don't believe this would be a very profitable venture. I didn't think this was a good job opportunity I just thought that it was worth mentioning since some people may find it useful if they already have travel plans and want to make a little of money in the process. The payment may not cover the cost of the trip but may help cover the costs. Anything to lower the costs of travel is a good thing :D
To answer your question/comment about it being less profitable teaching something other than English: English is the most popular language in the world so I'm sure there is a higher demand for English teachers worldwide. Since cost and demand is usually related I would guess that you would make more money teaching English compared to other languages since the demand is higher. However, if your native language is (for example) Japanese, and you were fluent in Italian and planning on visiting Italy, i would assume you could find companies eager to teach their employees Japanese for various reasons. This is just an example of a use for this service and Im sure there are many more uses for it.

Sorry I dont have more information on the subject but this fall when I go back to college I will ask my counselor for more information and maybe she can direct me to companies or websites with more information.

I had a very nice experience teaching in Brunei for a short time.I liked the country a lot although it's a small country.I saw all types of fruits and vegetables that I've never sen before and tried new food.The people there are very friendly and welcome the strangers.I'm looking forward to go there again.

Edited by velma (see edit history)