xisto Community
Bluebear

Eurovision Song Contest

Just venting out my thoughts and finding out what others think about this. I guess that many of you are not from Europe or neither watched the show, but feel free to answer anyway. This is not going to be about the songs and performers, but about the system itself. Which I think kind of stinks. I can not say that I am a huge fan of this contest, but it fills out at least one Saturday a year for me. I have probably watched it every year since I was little, and I always used to look at it as something fun. The exciting part is always the voting. I never vote myself, but seeing what other countries vote is kind of fun. Top 10 of 25 participants:1. Russia2. Ukraine 3. Greece4. Armenia5. Norway6. Serbia7. Turkey8. Azerbaijan9. Israel10. Bosnia and HerzegovinaIt did not hit me right away while watching the final results, but when I thought more about which countries gave most points to Russia, I noticed that most of them were neighbours, and many of them used to be a part of the Soviet Union. I find that kind of weird, and even unfair. Many of those countries that used to be a part of the Soviet Union, is full of Russians. Jam packed with Russians. Is not that like they can vote for them self?Confused? Let me give you some facts and rules regarding European Song Contest. A very basic thing is that you can not vote for yourself. Why? It is obvious; most people would do so, even though their song was horrible. I can not blame them, if I could I would probably do the same thing myself. All the countries that did not make it to the final could also vote.I just do not understand why they can not figure out a better system for the voting!You might think that I am unhappy with the result for my country or something like that, but that is not the case. The truth is that all countries gave a lot of votes to friends and neighbours. I do not know if this is just being nice or that they actually like the songs; but it is the system I discuss. It is horrible! Why can not they have several juries, like they did before? Or perhaps a combination between juries and "normal" voting? A competition like this can never, ever be fair. But they should make an effort to make it as fare as possible.And then I must mention this; Eastern-Europe is completely different from Western-Europe. Why can not they split the two of them in half, because I do not think these to parts fits together at all. Music in Western-Europe can for example be completely different from Eastern-Europe. While watching the show, I was very surprised about many of the songs. I also hope that you understand what I mean when I say "Eastern-Europe" and "Western-Europe." :D Something else that I think has developed into something horrific is the songs! Instead on focusing on what really matters, many do huge stage-shows. For me it looks more like an act, play, show or even like a game then what it actually is: a concert. All countries are able to create good songs, but when they need to create a song specific to this competition many do not success. Trust me, this is not the best of Europe. I was pissed of after the final. Not mainly because of the results, but because of the system. It is very unfair. In my eyes Western-Europe and Eastern-Europe do not fit together, and competing in such a competition with that horrible voting system just makes things even worse. They should fix it, or split the two parts up in two competitions. Professional juries would be something they should consider. This is the start of the end of the Eurovision Song Contest. Something should change. If nothing does I would be happy if my country chose not to participate in this... thing. This is just awful.

Bluebear, I have to agree with everything that you just said. Voting IS unfair. I don't think I've seen a single contest where there hasn't been definate evidence of political voting and corruption within the contest. And you are right - the songs are bad quality and rarely show off the best of the Country's talent, plus they are VERY showy.You know something else that's even more controversial? Russia's song entry wasn't even written by a Russian! It was, in fact, written by Timbaland, an AMERICAN rapper and singer. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of Eurovision?If anyone responsible for the Eurovision Song Contest happens to read or find out about this thread, I have one thing to say: This is not entertainment anymore.

Edited by gameratheart (see edit history)

Stop rubbish it in, just because you came fifth , we came joint last, then again the british public have the tendency to choose the worst bands and songs at these contests.

Stop rubbish it in, just because you came fifth , we came joint last, then again the british public have the tendency to choose the worst bands and songs at these contests.

Sorry, did I forget to tell you that I do not care what place we got? I am happy with fifth, but that was not my focus point with this topic. Norway, Sweden, Iceland, Denmark and Finland also voted on each other. In many cases not because of the songs, but because they just always do. "You vote for me, and I will vote for you."

I am from Romania and we ended up on the 20th place. I really can't say our song deserved to be much higher, but I do have to agree with the fact that in the last few years Eurovision Song contest is no longer what it is used to be. We have to remember that this was the contest that gave winners like ABBA which was back then pretty unknown. I fail to see any way Eurovision could launch a band to the popularity of ABBA. Or at least something remotely near. Not only the songs don't have the same quality (as I think the music industry and all culture in general is going down), but also the way they are presented is of a far lower quality. I remember last years winner. They only won because they shocked everybody with their apparence and not with the quality of their song.That's why Eurovision is no longer what it is supposed to be - because it doesn't promote quality songs just shocking presentations (like this years winner which had the support of violinist Edvin Marton and Russian world champion figure skater Evgeni Plushenko... THEY practically won the contest). And we shouldn't forget the way people vote... based not on song quality but on vicinity. Eurovision should be more about songs then about presentation!

Edited by adriantc (see edit history)

There are three reasons why Russia should not have won:

The song was not sung in Russian

The song was not written by a Russian

The violinist in the performance was not Russian

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Which leaves me wondering ... what part of it was actually Russian?!

I do wonder why we still enter - we contribute so much money to that contest yet we know we have not a hope in winning. Maybe we should enter in a serious song next year and not some joke-cheesy-pop and see what happens...

There are three reasons why Russia should not have won:

The song was not sung in Russian

The song was not written by a Russian

The violinist in the performance was not Russian

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Which leaves me wondering ... what part of it was actually Russian?!

I do wonder why we still enter - we contribute so much money to that contest yet we know we have not a hope in winning. Maybe we should enter in a serious song next year and not some joke-cheesy-pop and see what happens...

I agree with the second and third note, but not the first one. I tend to like songs that I actually understand, so I can not see anything wrong with the song not being sung in Russian. But people should get better English pronouncing. During some songs I wondered what language it was. But I know that many people want others to sing in their own language, but in many cases I like it to be in English, and that is just because I can understand it.

But yes, I also wonder what was Russian with that song. I think the songs should at least be written by people from the country performing the song.

Yes, Eurovision became a show contest but it was always a political contest (I mean, after the people voting)

I havent watched this year. And Mor ve ?tesi (Purple and Beyond) is a great band but their song (Deli - Crazy) in the contest is regular, nothing special :(

By the way, I heard Turkey gave 10/12 points to Armenia, 8/12 to Greece and recieved zero from them.