xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
dwolters

What Is Wrong With Consumers Today? Horror Stories of Customers from the Retailers Point of View

If you work in retail or any other customer-based environment, I want to hear replies on customer's who are stupid, mean, ignorant, or just down-right retarded:I am the asst mgr. of a well-known electronic retail store. I had a customer come in who wanted to return something. So I followed procedure to a tee. I asked her to enter her phone number on a pad. She asked why. I said it was required for the return. I then asked her for her name and address."You don't need that.""Yes, I do, ma'am. Our company tracks all returns.""I'm not telling you""Okay then I can't do your return""I've gone to other (enter company name here :D ) before and they have never asked me!""Ma'am it is nation-wide policy. But you are free to go to another (enter company name here) and try."At this point she storms out. About 10 minutes later, I am helping another customer, and who storms in the door but my favorite customer of the day! She starts in on me while I am helping somebody else. I again explain to her policy and then show her on the back of her receipt where it says that "company name" may require name, address and phone number. "IT SAYS MAY!, I THINK YOUR JUST RACIST!!!" This is a good time to interject that she was asian. Also the person i was helping when she interrupted was asian. I told her she was now being ridiculous. She commands me to write down my name(which is on my nametag) At this point i just want to kick her out of the store! I point to my name badge. "WRITE IT DOWN!" she screams. I give her a pen and paper and tell her to write it down herself. I also tell her the number to corporate office and let her know for maybe the 10th time that i was following company policy and to indeed call and report me, because they will just tell her the same thing.Finally "the witch" leaves. The customer I was helping when she so rudely interupted, said "what a b***h." Other customers who were in the store expressed the same sentiment. That was the first time I was ever accused of being racist! Who knew that asking for someones address makes you racist.What a beeotch.I will add more to this topic later. I have plenty of horror stories.

I've seen people get upset over the stupidest things just like that so many times before. It's like "okay, you ordered that rare and now you're telling me it's not cooked enough? That's what you wanted..." But unfortunately bad customers like that are still customers so you still have to treat them as "valued patrons..." which really pisses me off sometimes. I mean, in your story, asking for a number isn't something ridiculous to do in the case of a return... I mean, it would be if it was like asking for her social security number or something but it wasn't.I really don't know how to answer your question about what is wrong with consumers but... I guess it just has to do with the fact that people always want everything to be their way and want the world to revolve around them and when it doesn't they complain... e.g. "That's racist." I mean, I'm white, so I'm not traditionally the one who is discriminated against, but I still find it easier when I get rejected from a job or something to complain about how the company was racist and unfair rather than just accept that that's the way it is. Sometimes we just all need to learn to accept things and chill out about stuff.In any case, I hope (and I'm pretty sure) that the customer's complaints won't cause any problems at your job, she was just being ridiculous.

The problem with consumers is that they let themselves me molded in to the type of consumers that various Corporations want them to be.Cause remember, you're a social reject if you don't shop at Abercrombie and Fitch.

I am not one of those that fancy running around in shops. I actually hate being alone somewhere, with people I do not know. I am not one of those that you are talking about. "The customer is always right", is not always right. If you want to be a good customer, get to know the rules and/or policy of the company/shop you are buying something from. If you are for example buying a computer always remember to read and understand those things written in a small font/text. I always hate when people are complaining about things the company tried to tell you about, but you did not listen to or did not read.I have heard some horror stories too. The closest thing I came to something like this, was on a holiday. When ordering a medium rare stake you expect to get a medium rare stake. That is fair enough, right? The good thing was that they said sorry and realised the fact that they had messed it up. Something I hate is when you walk into a shop, the woman/man working there is really rude. Sometimes it feels like their only mission is to make me feel even more uncomfortable.Another thing is the "I THINK YOUR JUST RACIST!!!" You know what I hate about that? People always seem to use it as this excuse. On elementary school we were all these little white kids running around, and one day a black girl attended our school. The headmaster talked so much to us about being kind, helpful and respectful to others. And that the skin colour do not matter. And it do not. But the girl that came, was simply horrible. Sometimes it felt like she mocked us for being white. And she always used it to get out of situations. She was really mean with a girl who was 4 years younger than she was, but she never got in any trouble. We did; while standing up to her and telling her that what she did was wrong. She started crying, and we got yelled at from all our teachers... Oh yes, life is fair. Quite of topic.People just always seem to... well, find another reason why people disagree with you. Find some reason why they do not agree with you, and do what you want to and such things.Remember: The customer is (not) always right.

So I have another story. And I guess this one is more about scammers than consumers. But Holy Crap, I'm more racist than I know I guess. Ok, so here's what happened, i'll try to explain the best I can:About a month ago, I had a guy come into my store and get a product for $3.99. He paid me with a 50. Then when I hand him back his 46.01 he says "Oh, did I give you a fifty?" He then pulls out 4 more 1s and asks for his 50 back. I pull the 50 out of the drawer and start to hand it to him, somewhat low to the counter. He then throws the 50 (the change plus his 4 ones) on top of the 50 and says "on second thought, just give me a hundred dollar bill". Seriously, how stupid do you think I am? After I'm like "OK" first give me that 50. He then starts asking for different change. I exchange a couple more bills, making sure I'm taking it from him first and then giving it back.Finally after a few rounds of this i'm like "umm...no, i'm not exchanging anymore money with you". He goes off in a huff and says "well the bank will do it. (Yeah right, like the bank is going to be taken in by his scam.) So I figure its over and i'll never see this guy again because he knows he can't trick me. WRONG!3 days ago, I started working at a different store down the road from my original one. This guy walks in and asks for the same 3.99 product. Of course, I'm pretty suspicous its the same guy, but not absolutely positive at this point, he looks familiar. We go to the register and he pulls out a 50. Now I'm positive its the same guy. When he hands me the 50, I look into his eyes and say very clearly and maybe a little loud "OUT OF A 50 DOLLAR BILL?". So he knows hes paying with a 50. I then give him his change and guess what he says (grr..). "Oh, did I give you a 50?" Exact same thing with the exact same inflection as last time. That is the farthest he got this time. I then told him I recognized him from my other store and that I was not going to exchange any money for him. He gets all mad and walks out of the store and yells "It's because I'm black!" WHAT? Seriously. No. Maybe its because you tried to scam money out of me--not once, but twice! Why do people always play the race card? I am not a skinhead. I do not have a swastika tattooed on my forehead. I don't tell racist jokes. I treat everyone the same regardless of their skin color. Yeah, if you try to steal, i'm going to say something. You can be white, black, green or purple. I DON'T CARE!

Haha, reminds me of a video. A girl cuts into a line and, when she was asked to go to the back of the line, "You're sending me to the back of the line because I'm black?"

My advice, don't bother with these people... oh wait, they're your beloved customers! In any case, think of it this way, they know it's their fault and, perhaps wishing to save face, they play the race card, making it appear it is your fault! You are a jerk! and so on. It's their way of putting you down, well don't let them. If you know perfectly well that you are right, stand your ground.

It'd sure be funny if you start venting, "My customers are harassing me because I'm white!"

Oh yeah, about that money changing thing, I'm not sure how things work over there but, in our country, if you ask the cashier nicely enough, you can virtually choose your change. "Uhm, miss, can you please give me my change in twenties?" They would probably respond with either, "Certainly sir," or, "I'm sorry; we're all out of twenties. Would you mind accepting coins, though?"

Well, not all of our cashiers are that accommodating, perhaps some of them are having periods or haven't gotten laid in a long time, lolz. I hope you're not thinking, ")4mN! I wouldn't want to have that kind of customers." Surely, it isn't too much to ask for your change politely hm? :)

In any case, the next time that guy comes round your area again, you can politely tell him that you're working for a store, not a bank and that you will not be exchanging money.

"Well, the bank will do it."

"Certainly sir, and the nearest bank, from here, would be <insert bank name here>," and give him directions :D

How dreadful for you! What a ridiculous person! I hate it when people accuse others of being 'racists' over trivials like this. It only goes to show that they feel inferior of their own ethnicity and that's why they are so sensitive. I'm Asian too and boy would I feel ashamed if I had seen a fellow Asian acting like an idiot. This woman is either crazy or having some serious mental issues. I'm a make-up artist and once I had to do make-up for this lady who was dark-skinned (but also an Asian). I understand the environment that she was gonna take photo shoots in. It's a dark environment so I'd have to make-up her face in such a way that it looks lighter, brighter and clearer so that she won't 'blend' into the environment. I explained this to her and at first she agreed, but later when she realized that I'd made her skin look 2 shades lighter, she hated the make-up (and mind you, it looked good!) and said I was prejudiced against her. We argued over the issue for several minutes. In the end, she accepted my argument and paid up grudgingly because she was in a hurry, but I feel so maligned!