xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
JordanW

Sound Problem

OK, let me tell you how my Thursday night went. First of all, earlier in the day, something caused the electrical outlets in the kitchen to reset, so the T.V. in the living room shut off also, and the cable box. I was trying to figure out what was wrong, because everything else in the house was working fine. I test out other plugs and sure enough the other one works, so I'm assuming the problem is solved, well it wasn't. My Dad then comes home around 7:30 P.M. after he gets off of work, and is looking to see what the problem was, (mind you the problem was already fixed, I just switched where it was plugged in at) so my computer is on, and it's sitting here, then he resets the breakers, causing my computer to shut off. I come in here around 9:00 P.M. to get on the computer and check my e-mail, coming to realize that my computer WILL NOT start. I then frantically search to find the recovery disc and the manual and could not find it. I felt like smoking 3 packs of cigarettes I was SO mad. But, I sat down, calmed myself down, went for about a 30 minute drive and asked God to please help me fix this thing. I come home, find the recovery disc, now I had to re-install EVERYTHING I lost everything on my computer, the sound doesn't work, can anyone help me?

Well i'm not an expert on sound cards but it may need replacement drivers, that or the sudden power change has broken the sound card.What Operating System you on?What Sound Card do you have?If you have a sound card built into the motherboard then what motherboard do you have?If you don't know google and download "aida32" and that will tell you exactly whats in your pc!or check "device manager", I only suggested "Aida32" because when I reinstalled my graphics drivers it wouldn't tell me what I had in device manager!

Edited by kobra500 (see edit history)

from the shoutbox, you mentioned your system as a Gateway 838GM, and that you don't have the disks required for your drivers.

just check out gateway support's download center to look for the ones your system require:
http://www.gateway.com/worldwide/support/

also from the shoutbox, you said you have lost your serial number. i just didn't quite get if the serial number you lost is the one for WINXP (as you mentioned you're reinstalling your OS) or just the serial number for gateway. if it's the latter, gateway can help you locate your serial number:

or you can just browse all the downloads here if you can't locate it:
http://www.gateway.com/worldwide/support/?Tab=All

if it's the WINXP serial number you lost, maybe gateway can still help if they have a record of your purchase with them.

This message came up after I downloaded the driver:Installation instructions: c:\cabs\D00805-001-001\read_me.txtLas instrucciones de la instalaci?n: c:\cabs\D00805-001-001\D00805-001-001_readme_mx.pdf安装指令: c:\cabs\D00805-001-001\D00805-001-001_readme_ch.pdf

Well i'm not an expert on sound cards but it may need replacement drivers, that or the sudden power change has broken the sound card.
What Operating System you on?
What Sound Card do you have?
If you have a sound card built into the motherboard then what motherboard do you have?

If you don't know google and download "aida32" and that will tell you exactly whats in your pc!
or check "device manager", I only suggested "Aida32" because when I reinstalled my graphics drivers it wouldn't tell me what I had in device manager!

Computer
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180
Computer Name JORDAN (Jordan's Computer)
User Name Owner
Logon Domain JORDAN

Motherboard
CPU Type Unknown, 3000 MHz (3.75 x 800)
Motherboard Name Intel Corporation D915GAG
Motherboard Chipset Unknown
System Memory 501 MB
BIOS Type Insyde (02/14/05)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Storage
Disk Drive ST3200822AS
Optical Drive LITE-ON CD-ROM LTN-4891S
Optical Drive LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S

Partitions
C: (NTFS) 185994 MB (179019 MB free)
D: (FAT32) 4775 MB (1514 MB free)

Input
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse Microsoft PS/2 M

Peripherals
Printer HP Deskjet 5400 Series
USB Device HP Deskjet 5400 Series (DOT4USB)
USB Device USB Composite Device
USB Device USB Printing Support

Keep in mind that although it could be an issue with your sound drivers themselves, your PC may also have what is called "UAA" drivers - which are for high definition audio...You may want to attempt getting those too - they're easily available via msn I think, as it is a microsoft made driver.That may fix your issue.So far my issues from sound have been because of...1)Drivers corrupted - had to reinstall2)UAA drivers got screwed - had to reinstall3)Somehow my motherboard got shocked and blew the sound port but nothing else(this was by far the weirdest issue I have ever had before)Other than that I really don't know enough to help but hopefully your issue was as easy as mine were.