xisto Community
rpgsearcherz

Issues With Router Freezing

I am curious as to if anyone else here experiences random freezing with their routers. It seems to happen to me most when using my D-Link, and I end up having to unplug it and replug it back in every hour or so. The same thing happens at my neighbor's house and we have the same type of router. I don't know the model number off the top of my head but I can go check if it is needed.As for the issue, I do use wifi internet, and so I was assuming maybe that could be the issue? I'm not sure if maybe the internet being disconnected and reconnected extremely fast can cause the router to freeze or not.I've checked the list of other pc's logging into the router and found nothing out of the ordinary..I have also changed the "channel" it was on from 6 to 11, 10, and 9. It seems to happen less when it's on 9 than on any of the others, but I don't understand how that could affect whether or not it is locking up, considering it just affects the wireless connection.In terms of what I mean by "locking up" it means that I can't log back into it, nor get any internet through it. Upon power recycling it, though, it will start working extremely fast again as if nothing had ever happened.Thanks in advance.

If you use torrents this can happen (it did with me anyway). It also would happen occasionally when I allowed firefox to have too many connections going at once. It only seemed to affect the wifi connection as well (my roommate was connected with an ethernet cable and he could still connect to the router). If that's not it, make sure it's not overheating, and possibly contact the company that makes it. It could quite possibly be a common issue with an easy fix.

Yes, it happens to me as well on a wireless router, too. Not sure why, but on occassion, the computer connects to the router just fine, but the connection from the router back to the local network is shot. Simply unplugging the router works to reset everything.

I have had the same problems described with my wrt54g router until i flashed it to the dd-wrt firmware (which turns your $50 router into a $400 dollar one;) Ever since flashing the firmware, this issue has not occured. I don't know if changing the channels would make any diff, but if one worked better, then maybe you had some interference with other networks in the vacinity. On a 802.11 specification there are 14 channels, of which only 3 are non-overlapping, meaning one channel might work much better than another depending on your location.