xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Legend Link

Connecting Two Computers With A Crossover Cable Got the basics, anything Im missing?

I was going to connect two computers together with a crossover cable to share files, and maybe even play a few multiplayer games over it. In my understanding I need a cat5 crossover cable, correct me if I'm wrong here. Both computers need to have a network card. After I hook up the computers I need to set each computers IP. (I'm not to sure on how to do that) Then I need to make sure the computers can "talk" to each other. From what I've read that's all I need to do. Anything I'm missing? If someone could explain the part about setting the computers IP that would be great!Thanks for any help! :lol:

I was going to connect two computers together with a crossover cable to share files, and maybe even play a few multiplayer games over it. In my understanding I need a cat5 crossover cable, correct me if I'm wrong here. Both computers need to have a network card. After I hook up the computers I need to set each computers IP. (I'm not to sure on how to do that) Then I need to make sure the computers can "talk" to each other. From what I've read that's all I need to do. Anything I'm missing? If someone could explain the part about setting the computers IP that would be great!
Thanks for any help! :lol:

You are pretty much there :)

Crossover cable since the interfaces are of same type (2 comps)

;)

Now if you could tell me what os you are using , it would have been easy ;)

NEways... assuming u are using Windows XP (see i can pretty much guess everything)

don't plug the cat5 till u've set up both the machines.

I prefer class C address so I am using it (U can use any if u want as long as u know wat u are doing)

Go to Start > control Panel > network connections

Right Click on LAN and select properties.

Under General Tab, Select Internet Protocols(TCP/IP) and then click on properties button(below it).

I've attached a screen shot. DONT fill up the DNS part :D

Now u only need three things to get it working.

IP Address :192.168.1.7 and 192.168.1.8 (Two for two machines :D , and i thought i am bad at maths )

Subnet : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway : 192.168.1.1

DONT GET CONFUSED BY LOOKING AT MY SETTINGS. I AM NOT CONFIGURED FOR THIS KIND OF LAN.
Clipboard01.bmp

when you have done this on both the machines. Disable any firewalls.

plug-in the two cat5 jacks

Try to ping from each system to the other one.

This should work :D

When i hooked up my two computers together using a crossover cable, i didn't need to set any IP addresses—they set themselves up; through DHCP, i think. It took a long while to set themselves up, though. But then again, both operating systems i was using were Linux, so i'm not sure if the same will occur in a Windows or Mac environment.

Haha yeah I'm using Windows XP. Thanks for the help. When I first started looking about how to do this I was completely confused, but now that I know what I'm doing this should be a snap! Thanks for the help Bluedragon, and Truefusion. :D I have one other questions though. To configure a firewall for this would I just allow the selected IP's inbound and outbound access?

Thanx guys but how do I make the crossover cable? Does anyone know the configs of the cable. I have the jack the network cable and the crimping tool but I dont know which pins to switch with which ones.I have another question. What things can I do with this type of connection? What is it that I can't do? an I RemoteDesktop? Is this connection some kind of a workgroup where you have to go through network places and access only the shared folders?

@Legend Link :D
Glad that i was of some help.

if its the windows default firewall Just turn it off , its useless and since u are on a LAN no point using it :D
Control panel > network connections > LAN (right click, Properties) > Advanced tab > Settings (General tab) and set off, apply :(

otherwise yes
its the inbound and outbound IP address that needs to be added to the trusted link. But then most of the firewalls (like Zonealarm) automatically does that by asking you.

which game are u going to play :D CS ?

@kudmus

Hi there
may be this would help you with something

http://www.littlewhitedog.com/content-8.html

this is a guide written by someone for the exact same thing u were asking .. how to make a cross over

it even has pics to guide you with which pins to switch :(

and just remember that its not necessary to have a blue cat5 :D

@Legend Link Glad that i was of some help.

if its the windows default firewall Just turn it off , its useless and since u are on a LAN no point using it
Control panel > network connections > LAN (right click, Properties) > Advanced tab > Settings (General tab) and set off, apply

otherwise yes
its the inbound and outbound IP address that needs to be added to the trusted link. But then most of the firewalls (like Zonealarm) automatically does that by asking you.

which game are u going to play CS ?

Some older games like Total Annihilation, Age of Empires II. I have dial-up internet so we can't play head to head online without having to go somewhere else. Guess that's a disadvantage of living out in the middle of nowhere. :D

connecting "crossover cable"Connecting Two Computers With A Crossover Cable

hey, I know its been quite a few months since someone last commented here but how in heck do you have cable internet going to your computers if the ethernet port is already being occupied by these crossover cables?what, would you have to get 2 ethernet port splitters for 2 pcs so 1 port can be for the crossover cable and one can be for the internet from your cable modem/router? I looked everywhere on the internet about setting up a crossover cable but everyone seems to overlook of all things, the most modern way (aside from wireless cards or wifi) of internet transmission through your pc is through that ethernet port that is already occupied by none other than your modem! So with that said, why has no one mentioned by now, exactly how you can use your only one ethernet port for the internet and for the purpose of each out of 2 pcs to communicate?

-reply by Clint

Your really muddying up what your trying to say.

Though, its not possible to have internet if you already have the crossover cable connected... Unless there is some ICS, internet connection sharing going on about...That I'm no aware of. 

Maybe also if you have ethernet port and a wi-fi port...But conventionally most people only use one at a time.

Replying to (G)ClintWell, what I do is have two ethernet adapters installed, then plug my regular connection into one and my crossover into the other. Then under your network connections, you right click on your two connections, and click bridge.-reply by blackscythe

I just finished connecting two computers to talk to each other. Here is what I did. I configured the two computers to be on one subnet and also made the two computers to be on the same workgroup. I  connected them together with a crossover cable and I was able to pick and transfer files from one to another.

-reply by Akin Olayanju

Hub instead of crossover wire???Connecting Two Computers With A Crossover Cable

Great info all.  One question regarding this same line of questions, please.  I have two PCs that are about 400 feet apart.  Is it possible to connect 2 XP standalone PCs (not even an internet connection) but using 2 conventional ethernet cables connected by the Hub halfway through?  Will the Hub act as the a good alternative to the crossover cable?  Thanks in advance!

-question by almacote

questionConnecting Two Computers With A Crossover Cable

I make the crossover cable? Does anyone know the configs of the cable. I have the jack the network tool and the crimping tool but I don't know which pins to switch with which ones.I have another question. What things can I do with this type of connection? What is it that I can't do? Can I RemoteDesktop?

WIRE DLAN Between XP and iMac Connecting Two Computers With A Crossover Cable

It seems the probelm is solved for   this problem. But here I am with a similar one. One XP connected via crossover to a Dynex ethernet 10/100M  router and 2 macs  to the same router. They can see each other, except the XP ( who else, right?) that does not access the iMac. The other Mac is a G4 notebook. And.No, the Xp is not connected to the WAN port, that port is empty. I want to WIRE  them together (not through airport) because I don't need the wireless when working locally. No Internet virus, etc. 

By the way, the iMac can see the XP!

And, if I connect them wireless, they all see each other.

ROUTER

0 --------------------------> iMac

iMac to XP OK

iMac to G4 and viceversa OK 

0-------------------------> XP

Xp to iMac NOT OK

XP to G4 and viceversa OK

0--------------------------> G4

0 --- Unused Port

WAN---  port

t

e