xisto Community
galexcd

Trap17 Dynamic Recent Post/topic Image

Some may remember a while back I created a dynamic image that would tell you your post count and last active for trap. It had a bit of a run but then died off. It just wasn't very useful.

BUT NOW I am presenting the most epic Xisto image Ever. This one is SUPER customizable and already works for ALL MEMBERS! It is designed to be put in your sig so other members can see the recent topics you have written. It is still in early early beta stage but soon it will have the date posted along with some other cool features. So I'm sure you are all excited to see them so here are mine:

Most Recent Topic by me:

Posted Image

Most Recent Post by me:

Posted Image

If you click on the images they go to that specific post/topic. You can get up to 5 topics in history. Meaning you can display your second to last post, third to last etc... all the way up to fifth to last post you have made.

So I'm sure you are all excited to try out these new images. Well the instructions are here. Just add that bit of code (preferably in a hide tag) to your sig or post and you've got it!

Few things left to be fixed/added that are coming soon:

*Adding support for emoticons

*fixing long line wrap bug (occasionally long lines wrap in the middle of words)

*adding topic title to image

*adding date to image

*making HUGE posts be a bit smaller so they don't take up half a page

*hopefully support for BBCode like bold etc...

Edited by galexcd (see edit history)

Just another quick update, all of the bugs have been fixed now just need to work on parsing out the HTML and hopefully getting it to apply to the text, but if I can't get it its no big deal. There are some things that you guys can look forward to:

Replies in thread count

Emoticons

"To read the rest of this topic click here" message below topics that have been cut off

minimalistic version (only shows topic title) - for people who don't want to take up a lot of room in their sigs

Ha ha, that is epic dude. What are you using to do it, something like ImageMagick? That is really funny XD

Nope this is all php with a little bit of help from gd library. Edited by galexcd (see edit history)

Holy moly! I do believe we have something amazing here! :lol:I really like the way you are utilizing your script but I wonder if you can make it a bit smaller--for forum signatures? Or, here is a wild thought, allow users to pick different formats.

I agree its am awesome script and haslip your right on the money about an RSS feed, but there is a potential problem I talk to alex about earlier when he showed me his script, gave him the idea on the topic replies :lol:, that issue would be SEO. However, after thinking about it and remembering that OpaQue is using friendly seo urls for the topics on the forums I think that setting up a htaccess file for this script. In which it will have the exact link to the post or topic instead of the generate one that is used in the example.To add on buff's idea about customization to this script set it up that there is a text cap and that way you can cap the number of characters in the text field, I know of a javascript that does this with RSS feeds. Also to add to your list might as well add the member info that is on the right site of post to the left side of the image, but I think all you would is the avatar, post count and of course the link to that person's profile.Oh another idea would to be list the last 5 topics/post through a series of Linkss IE something like this:Last Topic:#1#2#3#4#5something like that.Well that is all my idea's.

Yeah it is currently being limited to 6 lines, so if it runs over it cuts it off and says that it was cut off, but do you think i should limit it to only one or two lines? Or perhaps it should be a variable in the URL that you can set?

Setting the number of lines (or number of characters) to display via the URL would be good.

Yeah I would limit at most 3-4 lines jsut because someone can pack a lot of text into those two lines. I am looking at your lat post about Diablo and I did a few resize tests to make sure about this, and I was right that the div shrinks or grows with the browser. So with that in mind it would fit perfectly with one of those skinny website layouts.Which leads me into the next idea and this might be a bit tricky, not to sure, but take the lasp 5 things posted concept and then apply it to the original itself, meaning that either you have 5 individual image links directed at 5 different posts or just group them together. I think you see where I going with that blog like feature I guess.

Well what you could do to make it even simpler, so it doesn't take up a lot of space is do something like this (Excuse the the horrible graphics, haven't reinstalled PS yet)

The top part is tabs, so you can click through the tabs to see the 5 most recent posts. Don't know if it could be done but would be cool.

Posted Image

Also, a cut of on the topic title should be made just in-case you haven't thought of that yet. (By cut I mean if the topic title is too long it will cut it off just like the post content.)

trap.bmp

Edited by Damen (see edit history)

@SMIf I understand you correctly you mean have second most recent topic etc? That is already implemented. Check out the link in the topic about how to change that.@DamanOf course that couldn't be done in Xisto's bbcode. And for a website it wouldn't matter because we wouldn't need an image in the first place we could just print out the content dynamically.

@SMIf I understand you correctly you mean have second most recent topic etc? That is already implemented. Check out the link in the topic about how to change that.

@Daman
Of course that couldn't be done in Xisto's bbcode. And for a website it wouldn't matter because we wouldn't need an image in the first place we could just print out the content dynamically.

Well I just believe it is too big as it is now, for forum signature uses. Even if it is in a hider thing.

Nice work, great feature to have. I'll probably use it when it has more features. If not suggested already, perhaps hosting credits? Sorry if it can't be done or already suggested.

Due mainly to lack of time on my part I have currently put this project on halt. I might be returning to it soon, however if sombody wants to take the source code and run with it they are more than welcome to.
------Here is the source code--------
The only reason I haven't released it until now is because I was slightly embarrassed with the quick and sloppy programming job I did, and I did borrow some functions to make bold text etc. Just a quick note if you just copy this source code and put it on your server it will most likely fail unless its on Xisto, just because the md5 check will have a different IP address to hash. The MD5 check in this source code was "880ea6a14ea49e853634fbdc5015a024", (in the comment on the first line of last.php), but you must change it in the fopen statement (line 9 on last.php). The way to get the md5 check of your particular server is to fopen this url:
http://forums.xisto.com/user/1-opaque/
and print out the source, find the javascript value that says var ipb_md5_check= and use that particular number. You must do this instead of viewing the source in your browser because the md5 check hashes your IP address in a way I was unable to figure out so your server must load this variable.