xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
bluedragon

Need Help With Linux Installation

Hi,
I need some help with Linux.
1. I need a linux distro that will be like real easy to install and should have support for ntfs preferably built-in. (I know its installed on ext3)
2. It should have support for nVidia Graphics card. Most of the linux I tried fail even to boot up. They don't recognize my graphics card.

my specs are :

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz 2 GB Ram
XFX 650i Ultra Motherboard
XFX 8600 GT (512 MB) Graphics Card.

It should support all this :lol:

I also need a cool look. What I've seen is that (I may be wrong) GNOME are more stable but less good looking than KDE

I know there are a lot better ppl than me :)

I hope someone replies soon enough

Till date I've tried to Install Kubuntu and Ubuntu. But both seem to fail to install. I think the installer is corrupt or something. I've ordered the new 8.04 online ;)

But I think there must be some better Linux Distros.

Will SUSE 10.1 work on my machine ?

P.S. If you don't know what i am talking about, ask for clarification. But pls don't reply with just junk and some odd links.

I have the same GFX card as you and Ubuntu picked it up quite fine. Since you've already ordered Ubuntu (and tried it out), there's no need to recommend it; the CD you ordered should work properly. But to answer your SuSE question, if it's the same as OpenSuSE, then, yes, your system should be able to run it; OpenSuSE requires a decent GFX card to run. And, if it's the same as OpenSuSE, you may find it to be a bit sluggish, from what i've heard about OpenSuSE from OpenSuSE users.Also, if you continue having trouble with the Ubuntu Desktop LiveCD, you may want to consider the Ubuntu Alternative CD, as it has helped solve some problems before.

I have the same GFX card as you and Ubuntu picked it up quite fine. Since you've already ordered Ubuntu (and tried it out), there's no need to recommend it; the CD you ordered should work properly. But to answer your SuSE question, if it's the same as OpenSuSE, then, yes, your system should be able to run it; OpenSuSE requires a decent GFX card to run. And, if it's the same as OpenSuSE, you may find it to be a bit sluggish, from what i've heard about OpenSuSE from OpenSuSE users.
Also, if you continue having trouble with the Ubuntu Desktop LiveCD, you may want to consider the Ubuntu Alternative CD, as it has helped solve some problems before.

thanks for the reply truefusion.
I had to install suse first and then I installed Ubuntu 7.04. I had Suse 10.1. Its too old so i thought i should switch. btw, I am not able to figure out how to make the ntfs-3g driver work in Ubuntu. I've downloaded it and even tried to update using the automatic update. but it fails, I think the problem is that i am not able to login with the root password account. I know the password but I am not able to login. It says Root login not allowed from here. Can u pls guide me how to login with the Root Login .
Thanks
:lol:

btw .. i also tried editing the gdm.conf file (read it somewhere) to allow access to root account. But it doesn't allow you to write on the file :)

I had to install suse first and then I installed Ubuntu 7.04. I had Suse 10.1. Its too old so i thought i should switch. btw, I am not able to figure out how to make the ntfs-3g driver work in Ubuntu. I've downloaded it and even tried to update using the automatic update. but it fails, I think the problem is that i am not able to login with the root password account. I know the password but I am not able to login. It says Root login not allowed from here. Can u pls guide me how to login with the Root Login .

Thanks

:lol:

btw .. i also tried editing the gdm.conf file (read it somewhere) to allow access to root account. But it doesn't allow you to write on the file :)

In Ubuntu, the only way to log in as root through GDM or other display managers is to first re-enable the root account. I forgot how to do it through a GUI, but it's unnecessary. I only know of about 3 ways to log in as root through the terminal, but i've only needed to use sudo or gksu (GNOME or Xfce) or kdesu (KDE) and nothing more for things that required root access.

To mount an NTFS-formatted partition using NTFS-3g—after making sure you do indeed have NTFS-3g installed—you can edit the /etc/fstab file by finding your NTFS mounted partition in it and changing "ntfs" to "ntfs-3g". If you don't want to edit it through the terminal, you can hit alt+F2 on your keyboard and type in: gksu gedit /etc/fstab

After saving, restart your computer.

I'm pretty sure sudo -i will do everything you need. It's interactive sudo! Act like root without being root and win an everything forever!

In ubuntu, there actually is no root. You'll need to sudo the root password for everything that requires root access

(>:D)> sudo *password_here*

Very few actual things require you to be root instead of sudo-root (yay puns).

Give her another go with sudo. :D

Btw, if you wanted KDE, why didn't you install Kubuntu?

(Actually, I installed Ubuntu and then added 0.5 GB of KDE, so I'm one to talk...)