xisto Community
Saint_Michael

Windows Xp Sp3 Is Out

Well after a week delay because of some conflict Microsoft finally releases XP SP3, and at a whopping 342MB plan to wait awhile to get this bad boy downloaded. I had downloaded it from another site, legally of course and to be honest I did not see any improvement whatsoever on my computer, and so if you don't care one way or another about it make sure to disable your automatic updates or deselect it from the options when you want to update your computer. That is my experience with SP3 it wasn't to earth shattering but who knows for those with older computers it might work better.

You can either download it through here or go through windows updates.

Download Link

I do look forward to this. I heard that it optimizers the ram usage :lol: lol, But my computer is kinda left un-fixed and I don't think it'll be seeing Service Pack 3 in a while...I guess you might notice a bumb if you computers hardware is kinda old. Besides, it has been 2 years since Vista was released and I'm sure a lot of people have moved on...

When it doubt, consult Wikipedia:

Improvements:

* Black hole router detection

* Network Access Protection

* Credentials security service provider

* Descriptive security options control panel

* Enhanced security for Administrator and Service policy entries

* Microsoft Kernel Mode Cryptographic Module

* Installing without needing a Product Key during Setup

Largely security-based updates then :lol:

Also, this service pack removes the Windows Taskbar address bar (whatever that is), so if you use that regularly, I wouldn't install the pack.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP

I like to make a small correction this service pack is not the retail version of SP3, it is a debug version, meaning that only a specific type of computer that has Windows will accept this version, and no it isn't on the windows update either. So basically I passed off some bad news on SP3 so now it is just a matter of time as the correct version of SP3 shows up.

NAP is the main development which has taken in SP3.
The geeks @ Microsoft are stressing on this saying that this enables XP to interact with Win Server 08. They say after SP3 XP can interact with Win Server 08 more efficiently. I think these guys are seriously going to discontinue their support for XP in very near future so they are giving out less and less updates. This is the only reason I can find for so less updates.

Here is a short bio on NAP

NAP is a policy enforcement platform built into Windows Vista, WindowsServer 2008, and Windows XP SP3 with which you can better protect
network assets by enforcing compliance with system health requirements.
Using NAP, you can create customized health policies to validate
computer health before allowing access or communication; automatically
update compliant computers to ensure ongoing compliance; and optionally
confine noncompliant computers to a restricted network until they become
compliant. For more information about NAP, see Network Access
Protection: Frequently Asked Questions.

And here is a description of all the features new in SP3

"Black Hole" RouterDetection
Windows XP SP3 includes improvements to black hole router detection
(detecting routers that are silently discarding packets), turning it on by
default.
Network Access
Protection (NAP)
NAP is a policy enforcement platform built into Windows Vista, Windows
Server 2008, and Windows XP SP3 with which you can better protect
network assets by enforcing compliance with system health requirements.
Using NAP, you can create customized health policies to validate
computer health before allowing access or communication; automatically
update compliant computers to ensure ongoing compliance; and optionally
confine noncompliant computers to a restricted network until they become
compliant. For more information about NAP, see Network Access
Protection: Frequently Asked Questions.
CredSSP Security
Service Provider
CredSSP is a new Security Service Provider (SSP) that is available in
Windows XP SP3 via Security Service Provider Interface (SSPI). CredSSP
enables an application to delegate the users credentials from the Client
(via Client side SSP) to the target Server (via Server side SSP). Windows
XP SP3 involves only the Client side SSP implementation and is currently
being used by RDP 6.1 (TS), though it can be used by any third party
application willing to use the Client side SSP to interact with applications
running Server side implementations of the same on Vista / LH Server.
There is a technical specification of this SSP available at the Microsoft
Download Center.
Note that CredSSP is turned OFF by default in Windows XP SP3. To
Functionality Description
enable CredSSP, administrators can modify the following registry keys:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa]
In the value ―Security Packages‖ of type REG_MULTI_SZ, add ―tspkg‖ in
addition to SSP-specific data already present.
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Securi
tyProviders]
In the value ―SecurityProviders‖ of type REG_SZ, add ―credssp.dll‖ in
addition to SSP-specific data already present.
Descriptive Security
Options User Interface
The Security Options control panel in Windows XP SP3 now has more
descriptive text to explain settings and prevent incorrect settings
configuration. Figure shows an example of this new functionality.
Figure . Security options explanatory text
Enhanced security for
Administrator and
Service policy entries
In System Center Essentials for Windows XP SP3, Administrator and
Service entries will be present by default on any new instance of policy.
Additionally, the user interface for the Impersonate Client After
Authentication user right will not be able to remove these settings.
Microsoft Cryptographic
Module
Implements and supports the SHA2 hashing algorithms (SHA256,
SHA384, and SHA512) in X.509 certificate validation. This has been added
to the crypto module rsaenh.dll.
XP SP2 crypto modules Rsaenh.dll/Dssenh.dll/Fips.sys had been certified
according to FIPS 140-1 specifications. The Federal Information
Processing Standard (FIPS) 140-1 standard has been replaced by
FIPS 140-2, and these modules have been validated and certified
according to this standard. For more information, see the Microsoft Kernel
Mode Cryptographic Module.
Functionality Description
Setup
Windows Product
Activation
As in Windows Server 2003 SP2 and Windows Vista, users can now
complete operating system installation without providing a product key
during a full, integrated installation of Windows XP SP3. The operating
system will prompt the user for a product key later as part of Genuine
Advantage.
As with previous service packs, no product key is requested or required
when installing Windows XP SP3 using the update package available
through Microsoft Update.
Note The Windows Product Activation changes in Windows XP SP3 are
not related to the Windows Vista Key Management Service (KMS). This
update affects only new operating system installations from integrated
source media. This update affects the installation media only and is not a
change to how activation works in Windows XP.

Notice from jlhaslip:
quote tags added for non-original content

I downloaded SP3 from the Windows Site on 29th April, got the link from an external site :lol: As I used to update Windows regulary via the Windows Update, there was some issues when I installed SP3. I was not even able to boot in Safe Mode.It happened because I got a version of a particular DLL that is newer than the one packed with SP3, I had to boot with Ubuntu Live CD and replace the DLL to boot in.I didn't notice any specific improvements in XP. I read the SP3 Overview that SP3 fixes many security issues and bugs. There are no UI enhancements or new features added.

I can't remember if I've said this before, but after reading what SP3 had to offer, I know personally that I didn't have any incentive to upgrade. There really isn't anything there FOR the average computer user... just networking enhancements, really [to assist working with client machines and with newer operating systems and server OS's].

What I don't exactly understand is the whole Windows Product Activation feature. They say you won't need to enter a product key to complete installation, yet for [i forget, OEM or retail?] versions of Windows, it keeps you from even booting up into the operating system until you activate Windows. (And of course, there are some versions that will lock use of the operating system after 30 days... which then this feature would make some sense... but how long will this new feature give you before it takes the same measures?)

i updated to windows xp sp3 yesterday through updates.microsoft.com..it's only 66+ MB for my computer..it only took an hour to fully update to sp3..most people say that the updates are not noticeable but for me it feels much more secure now..my computer is a wee bit faster now..i also noticed that they changed the icons like the volume control and the LAN on the taskbar..i'm still a fan of windows xp despite the near end-life of it..nevertheless sp3 is a must have update

Well, I just got Windows XP Service Pack 3 for Media Centre Addition (MCE) and it doesn't do much in my opinion, it says it just fixes a few security holes, some bugs and some minor generic improvements...I was hoping for a MASSIVE GUI difference and to make my computer's desktop similar to that of Windows Vista, but when I restarted my computer, nothing much changed, all that it did was give me "You are low on disk space, click here to solve" error :lol:Well, personally I don't think that this is the REAL Service Pack 3 for Windows XP, it's probably a scapegoat of some sort so that Microsoft can have some extra time working on the REAL Service Pack... They shouldn't of called this a "service pack" anyways... More like just some generic patches bundled together to me...

I think I am going to stop putting updates on my computer using Windows XP because if they slowly want to diminish the use of it then they might make you put stuff on there to make you do it. I have not had any problems with my computer with just Service Pack 2 so I don't think the third will be necessary. Of course I have Vista now on my laptop so I guess it doesn't matter but on my desktop I want to keep it XP so I can continue to play games. After reading the specifics though with all of the security updates I might end up downloading it anyway because it will end up doing it for me.

Well, I just got Windows XP Service Pack 3 for Media Centre Addition (MCE) and it doesn't do much in my opinion, it says it just fixes a few security holes, some bugs and some minor generic improvements...
I was hoping for a MASSIVE GUI difference and to make my computer's desktop similar to that of Windows Vista, but when I restarted my computer, nothing much changed, all that it did was give me "You are low on disk space, click here to solve" error :lol:

Well, personally I don't think that this is the REAL Service Pack 3 for Windows XP, it's probably a scapegoat of some sort so that Microsoft can have some extra time working on the REAL Service Pack...

They shouldn't of called this a "service pack" anyways... More like just some generic patches bundled together to me...

Nah all SP3 was a major Hotfix pack that covered everything from the last 7 years, and some network related items. Sadly no, XP wasn't going to get a visual upgrade either especially if you want the Vista look, and you want that your XP to look like vista, don't know why, you want to download the transformation pack which you the latest is right here. It is a service pack or rather the ultimate service pack just because it combines everything in a nice 342MB file.

It is funny though, that if you were to install SP3 it would remove all the old individual patches, and thanks for for letting me look into that if SP3 did or not.

Also if your having problems with the windows update or the Check build version of SP3 try this version out and see if you can get SP3 installed on your computer.