xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
dre

Us War Robots Go Bad

I originally read this story a few days ago, and then read its retraction:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
https://hardware.slashdot.org/story/08/04/16/2042248/the-inside-story-of-the-armed-robot-pullout-rumor

It seems some original stories were exaggerated and ended up with stories about the robots shooting things whenever they liked, and therefore being pulled from service.

It seems some original stories were exaggerated and ended up with stories about the robots shooting things whenever they liked, and therefore being pulled from service.

Seems like a cover-up to me. Ah well, it's the days of manipulated media anyways.

They should never of made robots to replace the soldier, this is probably the first step into the path of doomsday by our own creation, Terminator? No, more like battlestar galactica. Even though there is no artificial intelligence being that is even remotely capable of thinking for itself, in about two-to-three hundred years time, we probably would...Although the doomsday scenario might not be nearly as bad as battlestar galactica's apocalyptic ending, but more of a "Command and Conquer 2: Tiberian Sun: Firestorm" scenario where an extremely advanced AI is given control of the entire brotherhood of nod's cyborg network connection, it rebels by surprise, but the rebellion was cut short when the two world super-powers joined forces...Anyhoo, they should NOT experiment robots like this ever again! Human greed will be the undoing of us, AND the planet! Our curiosity has damned us with eternal suffering! [pardon the pun]If they continue to try an develop advanced Artificial intelligences capable of deciding for itself, then we might as well release some replicator spiders on this planet!Lucky that no-one was injured or even killed... Robots with weapons are already dangerous, giving them a mind will be suicide! -A quote I made on the spotSo, they should STOP development of the robots even if it will risk thousands of military-non-innocent lives...

Well, the interesting thing is that some robotic technology of this sort is already working fine. For example, that anti-aircraft minigun that's on battleships has its own radar and targeting system, and it works fine to date, but it's a lot more simple, merely targeting objects picked up by radar, as opposed to targeting personnel using who knows what technology.

Edited by dre (see edit history)

Blown out of proportion. I beat you, the robot started driving around weirdly. Stories which involve the armies robotic equipment going mad are going to sell stories, and fast. Doomsday is not upon us.

At least no one was hurt. I really had no idea the US army was already using robots in battles. I thought we were still about a decade away from such thing. I guess that in a decade or a couple of years less than a decade we are going to be seeing robots controlled by humans just like in the matrix or humans it terran type armor suits ( like the ones in starcraft 2) with heavy armor. I had already heard that there is a suit you can put on to help you lift really heavy things. I guess the army will be having iron man warriors soon, but I doubt we will be seeing robots fighting without human intervention soon.