xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
harshcpu

Relax

Some things to keep in mind:

Some things are in our control and others not. Things in our control are opinion, pursuit, desire, aversion, and, in a word, whatever are our own actions. Things not in our control are body, property, reputation, command, and, in one word, whatever are not our own actions.
Men are disturbed, not by things, but by the principles and notions which they form concerning things. Death, for instance, is not terrible, else it would have appeared so to Socrates. But the terror consists in our notion of death that it is terrible. When therefore we are hindered, or disturbed, or grieved, let us never attribute it to others, but to ourselves; that is, to our own principles. An uninstructed person will lay the fault of his own bad condition upon others. Someone just starting instruction will lay the fault on himself. Some who is perfectly instructed will place blame neither on others nor on himself.

Don't demand that things happen as you wish, but wish that they happen as they do happen, and you will go on well.

Never say of anything, "I have lost it"; but, "I have returned it." …What difference is it to you who the giver assigns to take it back?

From The Enchiridion
By Epictetus

Here are some tips for you to relax, harshcpu.

1. Find a quiet place when you are feeling overwhelmed. Even the stall of a bathroom will work if you have no other place to go.

2. Close your eyes and picture your own personal paradise. Put yourself there and imagine the setting. What do you see around you? Is there a breeze? What do you hear--birds? Waves? Water? Imagine yourself thoroughly enjoying every moment here in your special place!

3. Breathe. Inhale deeply, count to five, then exhale slowly, counting to five. Do this ten times.

5. Relax in bed. Take a bath, play soft music, and lay down in bed. Read a book and clear your mind of all the stress and rush of the day.

6. Avoid people who are constantly angry or complain. Stress can be contagious, so avoid transmitters.

7. Stop engaging in behaviors that make you feel guilty. Seek help from a professional if necessary, but don't allow destructive behavior to sabotage your life and your health. Guilt is a potent source of stress, so get rid of the source of guilt by behaving yourself.

8. Exercise every day. You don't need to work out like a body builder or celebrity. At least twenty minutes (or more, if you like) every day of moderate activity, like walking or bike-riding, is the best known, scientifically proven way to significantly reduce stress. Walk on a treadmill every day for twenty minutes, take the stairs instead of the elevator, and park a little further away from the entrance to stores. You will be amazed at how much easier you overcome stress when you exercise regularly.

9. Learn to prioritize. Make a list of tasks you must accomplish that day. Put the most important things at the top and list every task in descending order of importance. Learn to be proactive and take care of things before they become a problem, then your time will be more productive and you will feel less stress.

10. Draw a warm bath, light candles around your tub, dim the lights, add bubbles, lavender, or just keep the water plain.

11. You can curl up on your couch with a blanket, and a good book, maybe even a cup of tea or cocoa.

12. Do yoga; it relaxes your body, and helps clear your mind.

13. Go to your local spa for a great massage. You will feel so great afterwards.

14. Lay on your bed or sofa, have some soft music playing in the background (or nature Cd's) and listen to ocean waves, waterfalls, or birds. Some new age music is very relaxing (such as soft....)

15. Go for a walk. If you live near a park with a fountain, or near a beach or lake, the calming sound of water will soothe you. Just a regular walk will also relax

you.

16. If you can, go swimming, either at your local pool, a friend or relatives home, or in a lake. Swimming is great for reducing stress.

17. Do the activities or hobbies that relax you (fishing, sewing, singing, painting, taking photographs), whatever it is that keeps your mind off the things that

normally stress you out, or things that you just need a break from every now and then.

18. It might sound cheesy, but hang out with your pet (like your dog, cat, bird, etc). Talk to your pet about all the stress and anxiety you've been going through

and you'll feel a lot better. Or just cuddle or play with your pet. They'll love it and so will you.

19. Think positively.

20. Practice meditation-try to remove all thoughts and emotions other than your controlled breathing from your mind. It's really really hard and why some buddhist monks practice it their whole life. However it can be very rewarding.

I, personally, recommend #5 ^_^

you can relax in lot of ways. have you ever tried to listen some relaxing music. try to lie down on the bed and put some relaxing music on your computer or cd player. It helps to me. Have you ever tried something like that before?

For me, relaxing comes from doing things I enjoy. So when stressed I pick up my fly rod and find an empty mountain stream. If I don't have that much time, I go for a walk or bike ride. Doing something seems to help more than meditating, sleeping or doing too much thinking.

It depends on who you are, but playing a sport helps to relieve stress, and like everyone's said, music helps to relax. Also, just going to a quite place and closing your eyes helps... even if you don't sleep. Biggest thing though if, like you said, you have a lot going on, is probably that you're totally stressed out, and for me working out and running is a great stress reliever.

I find running is a great stress reliever as well. It's not exactly relaxing, but it lets you vent your stress, and then if you take some quiet time to sit and think afterward, it's quite wonderful.I like a good, hot cup of tea when I'm stressed. Or I meditate if I'm at home. The dorm is usually too loud, plus I can't relax well in the presence of my high-strung roommate :-/ There, I just read.