xisto Community
lailai

Many 2008 Hoaxes!

I didn't know there were so many hoaxes this year! In case you don't know, see this(from wikipedia)

In Gmail, Google featured information for an update called "Gmail Custom Time"; a feature that would allow its users to send emails back in time. While composing a message, a button labeled "Set Custom Time" would allow one to send the message a specific interval in the past, as well as choose if the message appeared as "read" or "unread". None of the features appear in the service itself, but rather in a description of the update found here: http://www.gmail.com/mail/help/customtime/index.html.

Virgle
Virgle Logo

Google announces a joint project with the Virgin Group that aims to establish a permanent human settlement on Mars (https://www.google.com/virgle/index.html). This operation has been named Project Virgle.

Dajare

Google launches Dajare in Japan (google.co.jp), with the mission of "organizing the world’s laughter." [1]

gDay

Google announces gDay in Australia (https://www.google.com.au/intl/en/gday/press.html), a new beta search technology that will search web pages 24 hours before they are created.

Google Dialect Translation

Google announces Google 사투리 번역 (Google dialect translation) for translating regional dialects of Korean to and from Standard Korean.[2]

Gmail Custom Time

Around 11:00 p.m. EST March 31, 2008, on the newer and older version of Gmail, but not in the basic HTML version, in the upper right corner, next to Settings, a link appeared labeled, "New! Gmail Custom Time". The link led to a 404 error before April 1st CST.[3] [4] - It now leads to their latest hoax, Gmail Custom Time --> [2]. The page claimed a new Gmail feature had been added that would allow people to date stamp their emails in the past, allowing for all sorts of mischief. Users would be limited to 10 Custom Times a year to minimize the number of fraudulent emails. Clicking any of the three links at the bottom of the page brought the user to a page indicating that Gmail Custom time was, in fact, their April Fools prank for 2008.[5]

YouTube Rickroll

YouTube users were Rickrolled when all of the featured videos on the main page were linked to a video of Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up."[6]

Google Calendar is Feeling Lucky

Google added the "I'm Feeling Lucky" button to its calendar feature. When you tried to create a new event, you were given the regular option of entering the correct details and hitting "Create Event," and also the new option of "I'm Feeling Lucky" which would set you up with an evening date with, among others, Matt Damon, Eric Cartman, or Angelina Jolie.

Google Wake Up Kit

Google launched their "Wake Up Kit" as a calendar notification option. The option sends a series of increasingly aggressive alerts, starting with an SMS message to your cellphone, and ending with a bucket of water dumped into your bed, which would then flip over, tossing you out (all using apparently free equipment).

Notice from rvalkass:

Anything you copy should have Quote tags around it.

Ah one of the many joys of this very day is the google sense of humor. I remember the old Pigeon Page Rank system where they disclosed their elusive page rank secrets as being down to many pigeons pecking to indicate key words. It was described in great detail too..I like the youtube one, haha genius. And i also like the Virgle one, especially with the posting videos to youtube and the questionnaire, Google gets Kudos from me. I did send them an email and i sent it to arrive yesterday to congratulate their April 1st jokes. They replied reminding me it was still March 31st and how foolish i am to think it was April 1st. But my friends the joke is on them, for i sent that email this very morn using their Google Custom Time gadget so HA google! Ha!

I love google's sense of humour. I remember once when google launched some new super fast internet which you can connect by putting the connectivity line in your toilet and flushing it down where the many divers would take the wire and plug it into the data network.I was seriously fooled by it but looking at the date 1st of April made me laugh really hard on it..I went even as far as searching on google about how to get. It was not until i read the details that I understand it was one of their april fools day.

I knew about 2 of those hoaxes, but that many? wow..I wonder who's idea each were and how long they spent preparing it!

Wow, I love google, lol. I saw the custom time feature, but thought it was a real new feature and decided to wait to check it out, but I'm definitly going to check it out now, looks sweet! Thanks for all the information, can't wait to check some of these out :lol:

Hehe there was also a brilliant hoax by the BBC and David Attenborough (in the uk this guy is like as famous as Steve Irwin was/is, he does many nature documentaries and he is absolutely brilliant) They "filmed" penguins flying and said it was a type of flying penguin hehe. The video should be on the internet, i still need to watch it, I've seen stills and it looks very realistic!

Another one was done by Blizzard who make the World of Warcraft game, check this link out: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/new-site Genius!

Google's sense of humour is refreshing indeed. I really enjoyed some of them, even if I know they are hoaxes.

i agree with you..google are always making fun things but i just ride it like i'm not aware that it's a joke to amuse myself..have you encountered earth hour last march29 , if i'm not mistaken,. google's homepage background was changed to black on other countries, signifying their participation in the said event.. they tell that they turned off the lights, yet they only changed the background to black.. hehehe

Thanks for letting me know those hoaxes, i do hate people that create this sort of jokes and stuff, and simply because this jokes can create real and bigger damages sometimes.

but you should try to visit google's jokes..you're sure to laugh..especially about gmail's plan to send you the paper edition of all your emails..it looked legit at first then you'll realize it's just a hoax..a dose of fun is always welcome in this busy internet world