xisto Community
r0b-dog

What To Look For When Buying A Digital Camera?

Seems like many miss out some important points when buying cameras.Point and Shoot :- Boot up time, is something that is really important for point and shoot. Shorter boot up time will have your camera ready in seconds and prep you with sufficient time on getting good angle and so on. Slow boot up time (5secs or more) isnt recommended as it kills valuable time in most situations like candid shots, zoo / safari, concerts as you will be switching on and off your camera frequently due to its small energy capacity on the battery.- Megapixel vs. Price, Everyone did hit the sweetspot on replies but isnt sweet enough to decay a tooth. As digital camera CCD manufacturing is getting cheaper, camera makers tend to squeeze in bigger MP on smaller cameras but the weight is on the price that is tagged on each of the different models. For instance, a 6MP Nikon is selling for $399 while a 7.2MP Nikon is selling for $420 with Canon pushing out a $400 6.5MP digital camera, which will you get? If the price suits your budget and comes in a good Megapixel punch, then you can consider something that is worth your budget.- Lens quality, This is where some people isnt aware off when they purchase Point and shoot, Moderate lens quality will create unwanted flare, distortions on the image they took while the good quality lens have less distortion on images and no wash out on colors vs. contrast. Ask the sales representative for more information about the lens quality, the maker of it. For example, certain range of Panasonic comes with Leica made lens which is well known for vibrant color reception and near zero distortion on image.Digital-Single Lens Reflex (DSLR) :- Memory card support, DSLR is a upper notch of Point and Shoot and DZLR(Digital Zoom Lens Reflex) so what you need to look for is memory card speed. I own 2 DSLR, Nikon D1x and Nikon D100, both of them can support high speed Compact Flash and Microdrive without worrying its slow writing rate and reading rate on big files. Entry level DSLR recently do have good support on memory cards but beware, high speed ones tend to cause unexpected freezing during writing process.- Lens support, This is really important when you buy a new DSLR. IF you previously own any 35mm SLR, and you have a number of solid good lens that you want to use on your new DSLR, do research on the DSLR you aimed for, if its an upgrade, refer to its lens ring specification on the DSLR spec sheet. Do consider upgrading your lens if the DSLR you wanted could not support the lenses you currently own, opt for brands like Tokina, Sigma, Tamron, Phoenix for cheaper replacement.

Edited by onscreen (see edit history)

Whenever I have to buy a new camera, I consider a few things1. Budget - how much are you willing to spend? When I bought my last camera I ended up buying a shiny new case, another set of batteries (just in case), a portable charger and a much larger memory card (the one that came with it didn't have enough storage), and an SD card reader for easy transfer onto my computer.You should probably consider all those things when deciding about price-range.2. Then I ask myself what am I going to do with the camera? - will I primarily be taking just snapshots (point and shoot), or if I'm more serious about photography (SLR). Whether I require recording videos etc. Based on that I then decide which type of digital camera is best for me? 3. Then I look at the number of megapixels - if you just want to print the standard sized photographs, 6 mega pixels + should really be adequate. If you want to print large photos or want high resolution images for other reasons, then go higher4. Then I look at battery life which is really important. What's the use of a really good camera when it runs out of batteries really quickly?5. Storage space is also another issue - Most camera's nowadays use SD memory cards. Consider how much storage you're going to need and bargain with the sales person (they can usually give you an SD card with decent storage with the camera purchase :) )6. Warranty - this is just in case something goes wrong. Have a look at how many years warranty the company offers and weigh it up!Those are just a few suggestions! Hope its useful :)

My big problem with digital camaras is the lenght of the delay from the time you punch the button to take the picture, and the time the camara actually takes the picture. This has been a huge problem for me. Because all I really do with the camara is try to take puppy pictures. And trust me, little puppies DO NOT hold still for 2-3 seconds at a time. I get these absolutly adorable pictures, and by the time the camara actually snaps the picture the pup has ducked it's head, or ran off the table, and all I've gotten is a blurry picture of a puppy butt. Those cute, head cocked, ears up perfectly still poses never last long enough. I have been known to take 40 or more shots of a pup just to get 1-2 decent enough to email to prospective customers. And sometimes when I think I have a good picture, it may look good on the little view screen on the camera but when it's inlarged on my computer, the pup has his eyes closed, or there is something about the stance or angle that makes the pup look weird. Dachshunds are especially bad, even if they have a good level top line, it's hard to get them to stand level, and they always look hump backed in pictures. And there are lots of pups that just don't like to have their picture taken. They just sit all sulled up with their heads down and their ears plastered down and look awful. A squeaky toy will bring the head up just for a second, but not long enough for the camara to get a good shot. It can be extremely frustrating. Another thing I've noticed espcecially since they are getting the cameras smaller and smaller, many of the littler ones take special batteries. Since my first 2 camara's both used AA bateries, I have managed to get a good stock up of the AA rechargeable batteries, so I would hate to end up getting another camara that needed a different size, or a speciality battery and then I'd have to start all over getting new back up batteries. And you will need back up batteries! In my case, lots of them! Make sure you get a camara that actually has the memory either built in, or it comes with a card. I recently bought a cheap camara thinking I could use it for a back up, but when I got it home it wouldn't take a single picture without buying an additional card, so it ended up not being a bargain at all. I ended up taking that one back. It really annoyed me.

I'm not an expert, but I can give you a few tips from my little experience.

First, as many of the repliers said, there are two main types of digital cameras: Point aNd Shoot, and Digital Simple Lens Reflex. To make it simple, the thin ones, and the fat ones, respectively. The difference in quality of image between them is HUGE. Also is price difference, of course. So, to make it even more simple: if you're starting with photography, as I am, don't buy an DSLR camera, because... you may like taking pictures, or you may get bored, and a $2000 (USD) camera may end its life forgotten in a drawer after a few months. Although, if you're planning to go semi-pro or pro (like National Geographic's or DeviantArt's), pics in the night with little-to-no light or semi-pro to pro stuff... DSLR is your choice. But for family and friends stuff, choosing PNS would be a better idea.

Other things to consider are: brands, lens, flash, megapixels, memory and battery.

Brands: well, most people wouldn't recommend you Kodak cameras, but they have the best price/quality relation in my opinion. Of course, you'll take better photos with Sony, and even better with Canon or Nikon. But Kodak's point and shoot cameras have a good price family stuff, pictures of your holidays, etc. I have a Kodak V550, a PNS, that takes decent pictures even on sunsets (poor light). If you're going pro, you wouldn't need to ask in the forum, I suppose, but if you are... Nikon D series and Canon EOS are my recommendation. You may get some good offers on eBay, or pay the retailers price if you can afford it.

Lens: the lens doesn't always have to be the same brand than the camera brand. Some Kodak cameras have Schneider or Carl-Zeiss lens, which are much better than Kodak's. For semi-pro and pro cameras, lens are may be bought separately, but I can't give much advice about it because I don't use DSLR.

Flash: must be good, but remember they limitations. The built-in flashes usually can give light up to 3 metres. More than that, the picture will be dark and not neat. (Just for the record, they can't reach the moon; when I realized that, my childhood was left behind.) So, the point is, you can consider buying an extra flash, if you really think you will need it. However, I find it pointless. I wouldn't, but it's up to you.

Megapixels: The belief of more megapixels, the better, is not exactly true. The thing is that, unless you want to make a poster or be a photojournalist, you won't need more than 5 MP for Point and Shoot, and 10 for DSLR. The camera I mentioned above, the one I have, Kodak V550, has 5.0 MP, but when I shoot, I use 4.0 or even 3.1 MP. So, if I have good light, if I focus right, if I shoot at the best moment... that's up to me, not how many megapixels. They are not the most important thing. Of course, if you'd like to buy me a 21.0 MP Canon EOS-1D Mark III, I wouldn't mind, you know...

Memory: buy Kingston memory cards, they have a lifetime warranty, you can check that they are original products and I've never had any problem with them. Size: depends on the MegaPixels. If you're shooting with 5MP, 2 Gb means 1225 photos (aprox.), which is enough or not depending on your needs and how near you'll be from your computer so that you can move the pics to it (it was enough for me during a one-month holiday). If you have more megapixels, do the math. But I would suggest you to have 2Gb as a minimum. It is also important that the camera tells you how many pictures you can take with the remaining memory space. Otherwise, having an extra memory card will be wise.

Battery: I recommend lithium batteries, which you can recharge easily. And have an extra battery when you're shooting outside. And indicator in the camera which tells you when you're running off is great.

Other recommendations: don't ask the staff at the stores, I don't trust them and if you come up like if you don't know much about cameras, they'll sell you something too good and expensive, or cheap and bad. Once you're in the store, check the cameras, ask for trying them, take pics without flash and see if they look good. But don't believe a word from someone who gets money from your buying.

I own a kodak digital Camera.At 6.2 Megapixels and 3x optical Zoom!It seems some extortionate compared with Nikon CoolPix L1 digital Camera which pencke owns.I paid $185 USD for it!!!I think the specs followed is the most important factors before you buying a camera.the most important factor is batterty life!Why i select this?Because at present,camaras always have high pixels,high optical zoom(the baddest is 3X,in general,it will exceed this guideline!),high capability(1Gb is too normal)!But,have you though this--when you play with your family or friends stay away , the most lack thing should be eletricity!If you choose take picture with 400 million pixels,one 1Gb card could store about 700 pictures,but,most of batteries could only afford to take only about 300 pictures!When there has no eletricity,the high pixels,the high optical zoom ,the high capability,it just a joke and an useless thing!sincerely

myself I look at price, don't take that many pctures found a good one at walmart about a year ago though 39.97USD 3 in one cam. pic/webcam/AVGs. It had gotten a lot of use however.

Take into consideration what you plan on using your camera for to save yourself from snagging a very expensive camera and not making the most of it, or getting a bargain and realizing that you short-changed yourself. We can all relate to sheepdog's experiences with dogs... and with kids, too. They only can hold that smile or cute face for so long.Everyone so far has pointed out great factors in choosing a camera. I would like to just stress that you do your research thoroughly... CNet and peer reviews from other sources are very valuable, but just remember to be able to sift through the hogwash and/or the carping.

Choosing a digital camera is no so difficult task, to be sure. There are countless models with a range of megapixels and a range of features, not to mention a wide variation in prices. Memory cards and megapixels and optical zooms, oh my God! There is so much that goes into buying a digital camera. You must to look:1. How Many Pixels Do You Need?2. How Much Zoom Do You Need?3. Where to Buy4. The price!

Most important thing is reviews. Because a camera can claim to do "so many megapixels" or whatever, but the image quality can still be junk. A camera with less resolution might have much higher quality at the same resolution as a camera capable of higher resolutions, but you'd never know that if you didn't ask someone or read reviews online or in consumer reports or whatever.

I'd definitely agree with this. Reviews of brands are one of the most important things to look at <b>primarily</b>. I've bought a few products from major brands that have relatively good reviews and the products work very well. I also look at how common the brand name is, although it's not something you should really base your options on. Popular brands can sometimes be better quality or operate better.

Then I'd also think about what you actually want the camera for. If for example you're going on a hiking trip and you need a digital camera to take with you may need one with longer battery life and one that is light weight.

After that I would look at photo quality, but that's me personally, because I like to have good quality pictures. But that really depends on what you're after.

The shop assistance's should left you get them out of the cabinet and provided they ave batteries in them you should be able to have a fiddle/play around with it.

Hope you get a camera you like! :P