xisto Community
Stricken

What If Marijuana Was Legal? What would happen? Should it be made legal?

My viewWhat If Marijuana Was Legal?

1st off street weed is never altered in any way the way it's grown is the way it's smoked. People make it seem like smoking weed changes person as a whole, and that it doesn't. Most of the people who believe this are the those very people who got the drug out-lawed to begin with. Let's be honest the other reason why the drug was banned to begin with was just a corp. Scheme for the government to make money. If you don't believe me do the research starting with the Harrison act and the story on the Marijuana Act. Also tho a person can feel as if they're addicted to weed, they aren't. Being a person who smokes weed on a everyday basis I can honestly say it never got in the way on school or work. Actually me and a lot of my friends who uses the herb found we were more focused due to the fact that we were more relaxed. I was depressed before I started using weed and the doctors were trying to offer me antidepressantes, which had a lot of harmful side effects. Where as with weed it didn't have those side effects. Cigarettes are very harmful , but yet are legal and are used for recreational purposes. I feel weather health care or recreational use it should be legal again like is was b4 the 19th century. And I'm not tryin to take shots at anyone but don't blame the use of weed for bad choices someone else made. It wasn't the weed that caused it, it was whatever cause that person to start smoking weed in the 1st place. Remember one of the main reasons people start drinking and smoking is/ was because they needed to relieve stress. If you find that a person seems different after picking up the habit how about you talk to the person first to see what's on their mind, because most likely the weed aint the reason for them to feel depressed or unmotivated the way they do its just the crutch they're using at the time.

-reply by Bizzy817

Oh yeah, and unlike cocaine and morphine, weed doesn't need to be supervised or controlled due to the fact you can't over dose off of it. So there's no such thing as having to much. Where as with the other two, if you take even a small amount over what is recommened you can die.

-reply by Bizzy817

If it was legal wont u say that like around 10000 people will die a day? in your province or city? see cigarette is liter then marijuana but if the marijuana was public then what would you think? i think that MOST 75% of cigarette user will switch to marijuana and that will cause death a lot of death i say that it should stay the way it is because first it wold cut more plant and marijuana is rare a little so people would be fighting over it and that will cause more death in my opinion marijuana SHOULD BE ILEGAL

you don't even know what you're talking about, first of marijuana won't kill people it's actually safer to smoke marijuana than it is to smoke tobacco because of the level of carcinogens in marijuana versus tobacco. ALSO where do you get the idea that 75% of tobacco users will switch to marijuana? dude tobacco is a completely different ballpark, people who have been smoking tobacco for years are going to keep smoking tobacco. Tobacco and weed aren't just interchangeable entities they effect different parts of the brain in different ways, Tobacco is a stimulant and will make a person more awake, alert etc. whereas marijuana will make a person more calm and more "dazed".

I'm not one of those moralists who say "Oh marijuana... that's awful", or those who think that all drugs are the same... Also, in my country, Uruguay, smoking it is not illegal. Actually, it's legal to consume only this drug and to have less than two grams of it, but it is illegal to sell it or grow it.

I think it would be better if someone smoke pot instead of using other drugs like heroin, cocaine, crack or cocaine past... etc

But there are a couple of things that make me sick about this topic.

First, at least in my country, there is like a move for the legalisation of growing marijuana for personal consumption. And their arguments are based in bourgeois' individualist ideology ("ahh... it's just something that people do in their private lives, Law cannot forbid it"), as if the mind state of every people didn't change the reality of a whole society. And secondly, it's said that marijuana does no harm and it's not addictive because it doesn't become a physical addiction... IT IS psychologicaly addictive! This means that it may be harmless for those who smoke once a month, but if you smoke regularly, well you're as much addicted to weed as if you were to crack (I'm not comparing the drugs themselves, but two psychological addictions).

Another thing that bothers me a lot, is that there are some youths of political parties in my country that not only do they support marijuana legalisation... but that's their only plan for youth... I mean, I wouldn't mind if they supported the cause! The problem is that they don't have any other IMPORTANT proposal on, let's say, "minor" things like jobs and education! They don't talk about that when the media shows them, they don't have programme on such minor points. But hey! They are progressives, because they want to be free to grow it for themselves.

Come on! ;)

Marijuana id illegal in my country , and the fact that you are taking it , even small quantity of about 1 gram , will take you to jail for a period of 3 to 6 months.People think that there in europe " in netherlands " it's kinda legal , well the current dutch policy on drugs, was developed in the mid seventies. There exists a wide range of facilities providing care to drug addicts. Irgink the Dutch policy is not moralistic, but it is based on the premise that drug use is a fact and should be treated in the most practical way possible. The most important goal of this policy in this area is to avoid or minimize the risks and harm caused by drug use, as the user himself to his environment.The cornerstone of this policy is a law (the Opium Act) based on two fundamental principles. First, it distinguishes between different types of drugs according to their harmfulness (hemp products from one hand and the drugs whose use is a risk of "unacceptable" on the other). Second, the Act establishes differences in the nature of offenses, for example, distinguishing between possession of small quantities of drugs for personal use and possession of drugs for resale. Possession of 30 grams or less of marijuana is a misdemeanor. Possession of more than 30 grams is a criminal offense.Drug use does not constitute a crime. This approach to the question gives the dutch government and authorities, the opportunity to implement a balanced policy through the application of their criminal law.The trade of small quantities of cannabis, in the outlets that they call coffee shops , is tolerated when it is done under strict conditions. This tolerance is a means of action entirely characteristic of the Netherlands based on the power available to the prosecution to refrain from prosecution for crimes. This principle, known as "opportunity principle" is enshrined in law. The small-scale trade in coffee shops is therefore an infringement of the legal point of view, but if it takes place in some circumstances it is not prosecuted. These conditions are: 1-There should be no advertising or selling hard drugs.2-It should cause no harm.3-No admission of minors (persons under 18 years) in the establishment or to sell drugs.4-Sales should not be more than 5 grams per transaction. 5-Stocks of the coffee shop shall not exceed 500 grams of cannabis.The idea behind the policy adopted by the Netherlands with respect to coffee shops is the limitation of damages.It relies on the argument that if we intent no prosecution for trade or use, under defined conditions, to users of small amounts of cannabis ( primarily youth who experience drugs ) and avoid having a criminal record and are not pushed into the criminal underworld in which the risk that motivates them to try more dangerous drugs such as heroin is much higher.

Pros to marijuana legalization:

Lots of money from taxes

Less crime commited over drug deals

Safer Drugs

Cons to marijuana:

More, violent people. Think about it. 80% of people who talk about pot dont ACTUALLY do it, but if given the chance, they would. Pot makes people violent. Thus, more pot = more potheads = more violence and recklessness on the road.

I for one am for the legalization of pot, but it has a downside.

A lot of people seem to be comparing Marijuana to Alcohol and Nicotine: it doesn't even come close.

Alcohol is so much more of a societal problem, yet it is still promoted as a fun thing to do. Being wrecked is considered comedic, and people regularly boast about being 'blotto'. I live In a suburban area of London where late night revellers regular throw up on public walkways and women get sexually assaulted. Moreover, I have a friend who lives opposite a pub that closes at 1am- it's a very rich area, yet his car has been repeatedly broken into, and his porch is littered with Indian takeaways and cans of Stella Artois. My dad is a former Alcoholic, who was forced to quit drinking at the age of 29, due to the destruction of his liver, a serious case of gout (crystals growing between the joints of the toe-- excruciatingly painful) and the fact that he now needs to take five pills a day to survive (luckily it's all paid for by the government, because Alcoholism is obviously not the fault of the user- yet the government constantly promotes drink awareness).

I don't know what it's like in other countries, but Alcohol is a massive social problem here in Britain. It's the number 1 cause of domestic and street violence. Drinking in public is legal- yet we Brits don't know how to handle it. The racial stereotype would suggest that the Poles should be falling over drunk in the street- yet I've seen a huge number of Polish builders drinking from bottles of Vodka without punching passers by and throwing up. We Brits can't handle our drink- and have some of the worst rates of Alcoholism, and the lowest age of drinkers in the whole of Europe (including Russia)!

As for Nicotine. My grandmother died at the age of 65 thanks to the god awful stuff, and the whole of my family smokes like nobodies business. My dad attempted to quit, and managed to stop smoking cigarettes for over 4 years- but he regular enjoys Cigars on special occasions (everyday).

I'd like to see the amount of violent crimes caused solely by Cannabis-- almost every report on "Cannabis induced violence" centres around young males who also took Cocaine and skipped meds- yet the fact they took Cannabis is somehow the main argument in the story.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/boy-on-skunk-cannabis-butchered-a-grandmother-7195977.html

(read this article in its entirety and question why Cannabis is the main blame??)

I'd also like to see how addiction to Cannabis compares to the likes of Nicotine (the most mentally addictive substance on the planet) and Alcohol (the only physically addictive drug next to heroin). Short answer: it doesn't.

British marijuana is some of the cheapest in the world- only 3/4 as expensive as America and 1/2 as expensive as Holland. Unsurprisingly, we have some of the largest 'abuse' rates in Europe. In fact, almost twice as many people smoke Marijuana in England as in Holland!