xisto Community
jlhaslip

Google Sketchup - Introduction Please read this and add your models to a Topic.

Google Sketch Up is a software available from Google Services that allow you to Draft, Layout, or generally 'sketch up' designs in two dimensions or in a full 3D mock-up format. The 'Pro' version also allows for exchanging data and designs with other more professional software packages, like Autocad, Turbocad, and many more.
Similar to a drafting program in that you can do a layout of a design and then extrude it into a 3d shape.
As you design 'parts' for the design, you can then orbit around the 'part' and check all 6 planes. 'Parts' can be joined into composites that Google calls 'components and groups so you can copy and paste assemblies of repeating items which consist of other smaller parts. Changing the smaller components then alter all occurences of the assemblies.
The software also allows for 'subtracting' areas from the 3D element, so it displays as a void in the design.
The 'Sandbox' is a tool that will layout a topographical 'map', or terrain. You design the terrain and it will map the ground for the sketch.
Another really cool thing about the software is that once you have built a Model, you can then link it to Google Earth. Imagine your house showing in 3D on that... awesome.

Google Sketch Up: http://www.sketchup.com/
Download: http://www.sketchup.com/?section=downloads
Warehouse of Shared Designs: https://www.google.com/sketchup/3dwh/

I plan on using the software to develop 3D Models of houses that i work on/design. There seems to be quite an active Support Community and Tutorials abound on the Internet.

It will be cool to see what the Xisto members design with this package.

Please upload your designs here to this sub-forum. Open a new Topic for each one, in keeping with the Policy of not hi-jacking threads.

I love Google Sketchup, I think its great that Google put it up for download for free, I would of thought that for a programme of that quality, they would of atleast put a time limit on how long you can use it for.I don't use it as much anymore since my school offered me some better software for free.I think it would be better if they added more textures etc..

I used this program a long time ago, it's great if you can find your way in it. I just tried to use it again, and I failed horribly. Been too long I guess.It's a great programming for designing large things in that don't use too my curves and such.

i recently read something in a magazine that discusses the various user of this software. personally, i find it a really usefull site because you can use it to model ur new porch, or something along those lines. as with all google products, it has a very short learning curve, so it really is pick up and in, or perhaps more realistically, download and go