xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
WackyLioness

Virus Thru Msn Messenger Instant message supposedly thru my daughter...

I clicked on a fake instant message from my daughter 4 months ago. Clicked on a link that was supposed to take me to a site to find out if anyone has blocked me. Daughter & I just talked the week before & discussed whether my son was blocking me. I'm in a computer nightmare. Damn virus, or whatever has taken over my pc.. Administrative rights.....won't let me install my new printer...won't allow me to reinstall windows, pc shuts down during process.How do I get my life back?

I would suggest you back up all the important files on the computer right now if you have not on to a DVD or CD. Then format your computer and reinstall from scratch. I'm telling you this because its the most quickest way to get your computer virus free instead of running scans which may or may not find all the virus(s). If you have enough experience and want to attempt to recover instead of a full install then go ahead but unless you have patience and ability to follow instructions and find possible solutions then just format.Good luck.

My friend had a problem with an msn virus also, she did scans with McAfee and other similar software (registered, not free), and they were unable to effectively find and remove the virus. I also suggest that you do all the back up that you need to do while you can still access your computer. You never know when it's going to go berserk and not even allow you to access windows. After you have backuped all your important files, you can then try to do more scanning, or reformat your computer if nothing works.

Wow, I have been so close to recieving that virus..... I didnt know it was so destructive. Well, I actually dont use an antivirus, because I know that eventually the best way to keep your computer working 100% again will be by reinstalling windows. Whenever I have had a strong virus, I backup and start all over again. It will save you from a lot of hassle, and its guaranteed to work.

I would suggest using an Anti-Virus, and possibly even a decent firewall as well. I use AVG anti-virus and Comodo Firewall Pro, both of which are free. I wouldn't suggest Comodo, as it interrupts what you're doing a lot. It doesn't bother me, but most people would get fed up pretty fast. ZoneAlarm firewall worked well for me in the past however, and wasn't too obnoxious. Reinstalling Windows will work, but it's a lot easier to use a firewall and and an anti-virus and prevent yourself from getting it in the first place. If you do reinstall windows, I'd suggest getting some security software (free) as the next step before doing anything else.

Beware with these... they are all fake. Think about it, how can a computer tell if someone is online if only people on their contacts would know? And why would they need to have its interface look like MSN if its independent? How would they get your information for the login system to EVEN WORK?Simple, don't enter in your information! One of my friends, friends got their account taken over by this (by entering in their info) and my friend fell for it and now her account has been taken over, and whoever controls it, logins to MSN, says 'sdkfkjnek.info :lol:' and logs out. Its OK to click it, but look at the URL it goes to- one of those MSN account check things which is fake. See they cant post its address directly because any domain with msn in it apart from msn itself is blocked from being posted in MSN messenger, so these people buy a .info domain and forward it. (Hence why .info is always associated with spam).But what to do afterwards... hmm you would be best to IMMEDIATELY backup ALL your personal files then reformat the computer. Of course, if the file is hiding in your personal files then it is a bit tricky... but that is probably your best bet if not even the virus security programs cant find it.

I clicked on a fake instant message from my daughter 4 months ago. Clicked on a link that was supposed to take me to a site to find out if anyone has blocked me. Daughter & I just talked the week before & discussed whether my son was blocking me. I'm in a computer nightmare. Damn virus, or whatever has taken over my pc.. Administrative rights.....won't let me install my new printer...won't allow me to reinstall windows, pc shuts down during process.
How do I get my life back?

This site should help you with locating and removing your MSN issue. :lol:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Here is a removal tool:

http://www.msghelp.net/showthread.php?tid=41204

Hope this helps: ~ Bit O Bytes
Edited by Bit O Bytes (see edit history)