xisto Community
sad1sm0

An Awesome Retro Style Computer

I love old video game consoles. I have emulators for NES SNES and Sega and just about every rom for all of them on my computer now. I want to build a computer inside of a NES box. I've seen people use the Micro-ATX boards to build Full Computers inside of power supply cases, so i know that the technology is available. But I would also like to make it work like a nintendo with the original controllers and everything. Is there someway to connect the old serial ports to a motherboard, or is this just impossible. Let me know what you think

A truly "retro" computer would take up the space of an average house and weigh a few tons... The first "main-frame" I wrote any programs on took the space of a basketball court and had a bazillion feet of "tape" to spool every day. And it was a small one (at the time) An IBM 360. Go do some research on them. It would likely struggle to keep up with your wrist-watch for speed and accuracy. And to think that they sent a man to the Moon using that technology... fantastic work.

I'm sorry, maybe I should have been a little more specific with my wording. I suppose that what I may have been trying to say is that I would like to build a computer that has the look and feel of an old Nintendo NES system and that would be powerful enough for today's work. Look old, act new.... that's what I want. With new technology I could make one even smaller but the NES is just neat

Interesting idea, I'll give you that. Building a computer inside a NES. With NES emulators, it'd be able to run just like a NES, except it'd be as powerful as a normal computer. The whole build it inside thing might be a tad difficult, but if you don't want too much modularity, it'd work perfectly. I'd like to see how far this gets. =D

*POP* goes the bubble... jeje, sorry. I knew I had seen this somewhere already. But hey, its easier now with pictures and all right? Have fun with it.

A truly "retro" computer would take up the space of an average house and weigh a few tons... The first "main-frame" I wrote any programs on took the space of a basketball court and had a bazillion feet of "tape" to spool every day. And it was a small one (at the time) An IBM 360. Go do some research on them. It would likely struggle to keep up with your wrist-watch for speed and accuracy.And to think that they sent a man to the Moon using that technology... fantastic work.

O.o...
Seriously, its an awesome idea o love it =]

Not to burst your bubble or anything, but it already has been done. wink.gifHere's a DIY page you might find interesting.

I would like to try doing that but i'm scared of doing something wrong x_X

Notice from electriic_ink:
Quote tags.

Edited by electriic ink (see edit history)