xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
krazygoddess

Why Do Kids Skip School? Please does anyone have any advice for me..

my opinionWhy Do Kids Skip School?

Replying to krazygoddess

I think a good thing that works is that you should make deals with her.Being a teen myself, I understand the pressures of school and how it can be really boring but one of my best friends is a pychologist and she made a deal with me. She told me that if I went to all my classes for a week, then I'd be rewarded with something. But if I skipped even one class, I'd lose my instant messaging and facebook privileges for that week. That really helped because everyday after school, I'd come home to instant messaging and facebook hoping to communicate with my buddies and planning for days to go out. So I think that if you can get her to go to school for even 2 days and then reward her with something, you'd get some good results and as time goes on, you can make it 4 or 5 days of going to school without skipping. You should try and figure out what she loves the most and tell her that if she doesnt meet up to these requirements, then she'd lose that item for a certain amount of time and if she does meet the requirements, then she'd get rewarded with something that she really wants or has her eye onGood luck and I hope this works on her as much as it did on me!

-reply by wendy young

Why I think kids skip school is simple; school is not fun! In the academic classroom there just isn't much thrill. So... the best way to get it is: you guessed it, skipping school. Sometimes I think this all depends on the teacher. I once had a great teacher who made me want to come to her class, but then the next year I had this other teacher who I absolutely hated! Really, sitting so long in one area is harder than it seems. I'm not saying work is any better, but I hope you get the idea.

Why Do Kids Skip Sch00l?Why Do Kids Skip School?Kids, they don't mean to skip school; it's just that they would rather do something more fun or cool than go to school. I'm turning 15 I can skip school anytime I want because I have much freedom, but my mother loves me to death. She constantly tells me to go to school to be somebody. It's not that I don't want to make her proud but with too much freedom and an addiction for this internet game I play called runescape. I don't blame the makers, I only blame myself.-reply by Kwame Agyeman Budu

why i skip schoolWhy Do Kids Skip School?

Hi, I am currently in high school and I miss school all the time.. The only reason why I get away with it is because my grades stay the same... I miss like 40 days a semester and I still have a 3.5 GPA.. Yeah yeah my teachers get upset and yell at me but I tell them the same thing every time, there's no point in being here everyday if I can get the same grades missing 30+ days. The only reason why my teachers are upset is because the days I miss school the school doesn't get money for me being there and blah blah.. Sorry if this wasn't much help, but maybe talk to your daughter and let her miss school if she really wants just as longs as she keeps her grades up!

-reply by Alex

The SuperrrrrrstarrrryWhy Do Kids Skip School?

Well  I was reading this story about a kid that skipped school and it says that sometimes kids or teens skip school because they are doing drugs, Partying or drinking. It also says that sometimes kids don't like their teachers or the students so they skip school. They could also be getting bullied but u never know. I really  thought your story was interesting.

-reply by Ghislaine

Well, it might be peer pressure, I don't know. Maybe you could talk to them more, maybe they're going through problems... maybe send them to a counselor even. I guess at that age most kids don't know how important school is, unless they had parents that reinforced it all the time. Or, even academically inclined students might fall away because of like love interests or whatever... :\ anyway, good luck? Kids are a handful these days huh?

I feel sorry for you.Why Do Kids Skip School?

Hello , I am 14 years old and I attend High school. I used to cut a lot of times, and my dad grounded me for 5 months or so. He told me that if he gets the next report card good, and he will be satified with it. He will unground me. So I'm not saying you should, but I'm saying I suggest you ground your daughter from everything, let her know how important the education is. Let her know that if she will get a good report card you will unground her. And if she does, then its good for you. If she doesnt, be strict with her. 

-reply by Eduard Abramov, Jr.

Hi I'm 16 and I think that the better solution for this is for her to get a job so that she can see that life is really hard expessilally without an educationPs. Don't give her any money make her buy her own clothes, food if she wants to go some where and don't let her use the PHONE AT ALL!-reply by 3456

I have not read your post completely..because it looks to me a wall of texts and I don't really want to read all that..next time it'd be nice to format your post so it is ..more readablebut I, myself skips classes because well..I have better things to do than staying in classes and listening to the same old stuff I've already knew/understood. and since I'm into art, quite often I'd spend my time doing stuff related to art rather than academic stuff at school. but that's just me

Why kids skip schoolWhy Do Kids Skip School?

I'm a teen myself and I have a few reasons why they skip school. ( Tho I would never skip tho because with out education it will be hard to get a good paying job!)

1.) They want to HANG out with friends

2.) They want to ACT/BE cool

3.) To REBEL

4.) If they are getting BULLIED they may do this to avoid being bullied

5.) If they HATE that class they also might skip

6.) If they HATE the teacher they also might skip

7.) GO TO THE MALL

I hope the reasons I stated above help all of you parents. Now you can tell why your childern/child have skip school. :)

-reply by lilette123

hey, your story really hit a sensitive spot for me. Years ago, my mother might have spoken your exact words. I used to skip classes. I went to school like twice a week, might have been the worst case in history. I played sick for a year, puzzled the crap out of many doctors who just couldn't seem to figure out 'what was wrong' with me. I don't know why I did it. Guess I was just unhappy there. Didn't like my classmates, felt isolated. And the fact that I skipped classes made them think I was weird or something, so that made me feel worse going to school. And whenever I did do, I felt lonely and lost with my lessons, I just couldnt seem to catch up after missing so much as it was a fast paced year with lessons. I just gave up. I wanted to stay at home. I guess I just gave up on everything, on life, on studies, a sign of throwing it all away. I had deep issues of insecurity, loneliness, self-hatred, and even suicidal thoughts. Your daughter needs help, needs a goal in life, needs to realize how her acts will affect her future. Trust me, I am someone who regrets everything I did. If I could I would take it all back, but I'm left to live with the consequences of it. So, please get your daughter to talk to someone. And hey, another cause could be insomnia, unable to sleep at night hence unable to wake up to go to school. What excuses didn't I give. The pain I caused my mother still haunts me to this very day, and its been four years since high school. Infact, you sound just as desperate as she must have sounded. I regret this so much, all the lying, breaking promises, faking, but I can't take it back but only try to make her proud with the chances I have right now. Another suggestion is a change of environment. Change schools or send her away.Let her start fresh, it might help.

Replying to krazygoddessWhy is she not in counseling now? Skipping school is not the problem. It is a symptom of a bigger problem. She should have been getting professional mental/emotional help long ago, before you sent her off to live with her father.Contact your county mental health/mental retardation (MHMR) office to get her some help, or contact a local social worker to get her the help she needs. She might really benefit from talk therapy and/or medication to treat things such as depression, anxiety, etc. MHMR can get you help for little or no cost if you would have difficulty affording treatment.I am surprised your school's guidance counselor has not made a referral already.