xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
longtimeago

Subnets Behind Layer 2 Switches Can they Communicate ?

Let me explain to you the Scenario , im under a Router and from that router the connection goes to a Layer 2 Switch ( Highly Intelegent ) Now from this switch there goes around 7 sub networks , How ever each subnetwork is being able to communicate within theriselves but cannot communicate with other subnetworks though they are under the same L3 Switch. i understand that the Gateway address differs for each subnetworks from the L3 swith.But is there any way to Communicate among these sub networks ?

The downside to having subnets is that they can't communicate with other subnets as far as i know. I know that a switch won't let you communicate with different subnets, but I think a router would let you do that. Getting all those routers isn't really feasible however. I would maybe look into running a VLAN. Then use one router to handle the VLANS. You can run one VLAN off of a switch, but if you have more (and diff subnets) you need to have a router.