xisto Community
iGuest

Dmoz SUBMISSION

As a webmaster of your own sites I higly reccomend you all add your url to the open directory project DMOZ. Once you have succesfully added your site to dmoz.org you will get nothing but positive search engine rank and occurence improvement. DMOZ is partnered with many other greate search engines uch as GOOGLE, ALLTHEWEB ect.. It is very possible to be indexed in all the partners engines within a short time. To submit at dmoz all your have to do is suggest your url in an appropriate catagory with a title, url, and description fo your website.

Possibly you could become and editor of the directory? It looks easy enough. Then you could improve the directory for man others who endure the same problems as you guys are experiening. You may have also submitted an invalid submission or broken the rules of submission somehow, possibly by submitting to the wrong directory or by using promotional language in your sites title and/or description. One must also note that the editors must get a substantial amout of submissions to go through and your submission may still be on the list to be checked before being approved, I suppose certain catagorys are more prone to submission because they are more popular. I am still waiting for my submission to go through, so we have to be patient :rolleyes:

I keep submitting my site to dmoz and never get listed and i'm not sure why concidering what they do have listed. It's supposed to be uptoday but i think they've been slacking. Been finding alot more dead links latelyround

As a webmaster of your own sites I higly reccomend you all add your url to the open directory project DMOZ.

Once you have succesfully added your site to dmoz.org you will get nothing but positive search engine rank and occurence improvement.

DMOZ is partnered with many other greate search engines uch as GOOGLE, ALLTHEWEB ect.. It is very possible to be indexed in all the partners engines within a short time.

To submit at dmoz all your have to do is suggest your url in an appropriate catagory with a title, url, and description fo your website.

39178[/snapback]

Is anybody out there an editor at DMOZ? I have a question and couldn't find any FAQ over there.

If I sign up to be an editor, will my submissions to other categories get preferential treatment or can I submit directly to other categories?

I found a category that has 0 entries--Knitting Articles. I'd love to sign up for that, but my main mission is to market Fun4TheMoney.com. If the knitting thing won't get my real site listed then I'll have to pick a category where Fun4TheMoney will fit in.

Suz

i tried applying to dmoz to be an editor but they rejected me because they said they had enough editors in the catagory i applied to. the problem is that my friend submitted his site to that category and it has been like 5 months and it still isn't in there. i think dmoz is a joke now. the editors dont do anything. i used to have a site but i took it down. that was over 3 years ago. the stupid thing is still listed in dmoz. I told them to take it off the list but it is still there. nobidy seems to be doing anything there.

i tried applying to dmoz to be an editor but they rejected me because they said they had enough editors in the catagory i applied to.  the problem is that my friend submitted his site to that category and it has been like 5 months and it still isn't in there.

i think dmoz is a joke now.  the editors dont do anything.  i used to have a site but i took it down.  that was over 3 years ago.  the stupid thing is still listed in dmoz.  I told them to take it off the list but it is still there. nobidy seems to be doing anything there.

53115[/snapback]

I wondered about that. With no glory, no money, and no special treatment, being an editor must get old, fast. I'm guessing that a lot of people sign up just to get their own sites listed, then slip out the back door. ;)

Suz

whoops, my mistake then, i thoought you were talking about a Xisto dmoz, silly me. anyways, i think that your idea of something like freesticky would be really nice.

i submitted my site in there months ago and it is still not in the directory.  I don't think there are any editors for the catagories my site falls into.

39205[/snapback]

Even if there aren't any editors in your category, editors in the up-line can pick up the slack.

Suz

i tried applying to dmoz to be an editor but they rejected me because they said they had enough editors in the catagory i applied to.  the problem is that my friend submitted his site to that category and it has been like 5 months and it still isn't in there.

i think dmoz is a joke now.  the editors dont do anything.  i used to have a site but i took it down.  that was over 3 years ago.  the stupid thing is still listed in dmoz.  I told them to take it off the list but it is still there. nobidy seems to be doing anything there.

53115[/snapback]

You should always apply to a small category, first. If you do well, then you can apply for a bigger category.

Send me the URL and category for your old site and I'll try to get it removed for you, but all I can do is recommend, so if it's a really busy, understaffed category, it might not do any good.

Suz

Suz

Is anybody out there an editor at DMOZ? I have a question and couldn't find any FAQ over there.

If I sign up to be an editor, will my submissions to other categories get preferential treatment or can I submit directly to other categories?

I found a category that has 0 entries--Knitting Articles. I'd love to sign up for that, but my main mission is to market Fun4TheMoney.com. If the knitting thing won't get my real site listed then I'll have to pick a category where Fun4TheMoney will fit in.

Suz

53006[/snapback]

LOL! Now I'm an editor so I can answer my own question. Yes I can submit to other categories. No, I don't get preferential treatment.

Suz

I wanted to mention the forum that DMOZ set up to help deal with issues like, "when will my site be listed?" But I just went there & the "Site Submission Status" forums have been closed & discontinued due to the MAJOR amount of time it took just to keep up with the site submission posts.

Well here is a link to the forum anyway: DMOZ forum just in case anyone wants to read it over to see how much work actually does happen at dmoz. Also, I found this link to the FAQ for the "shoping" catagory, perhaps your answer is in here.

I also wanted to mention (something I found out) that Regional listing are generally based on where a company is located, not where it markets. For example, they would not put my site in the "Phoenix" Regional catagory, because my website shows that I am BASED out of MESA (a smaller city near Phoenix), even though my competiors are listed in the Phoenix area, neither of which are BASED in Phoenix either, but neither also has an address listed on their websites. :) Consequently, I am listed in DMOZ, but no-one is gonna find me there, cuz who's gonna look in the "Mesa" catagory? I know I wouldn't & I LIVE in mesa, I would look in the MAJOR metro area, ie. Phoenix.

I was also denied a listing in the "shopping" catagory because I deliver my products LOCALLY. Here is a quote from their "FAQ - DMOZ/Shopping"

1.2    Q: What about sites that only list prices in local currency?

A: It doesn't matter whether prices are quoted in US dollars, English pounds, or any other currency. Unless a merchant is only willing to ship to a limited area, the site should be listed in Shopping/ if it meets the criteria in item #1.

Dmoz gets you on Google and Yahoo, its very good indeed.

I also want to mention that I was listed in Yahoo first, google second and DMOZ MONTHS later. I didn't pay to be listed in yahoo either, they just "picked me up" one day.

--Jane

i have heard that getting listed in dmoz is very good for your site and SEO, but i've also heard that it does take a long time to get accepted, i submitted my site http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ yesterday and i reckon it will be ba couple of months before it gets listed in DMOZ and by that time it will already be in Google and Yahoo, but any way hopefully it will help the SEO and PR of my site