xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Starluv

Too Much Junk

Junk food saves time and is great help when you are kitchen challanged. But some foods shouldonly be consumed occasionally, as junk foods are usually low in nutrients and high in salt, sugar or fat.

How it affects you :P

Becoming overweight and developing vitamin and mineral deficiencies come wrapped up along with junk foods. The foods sold by popular fast food and takeaway joints are often high in saturated fats, which can cause your cholesterol levels to shoot up. Convenience foods usually contain high amounts of salt, which have been associated with an increased risk of high BP. soft drinks and cakes or pastries are high in sugar content and there is clear evidence that high sugar intake may contribute to the development of overwieght and obesity.

Detoxify :P

We all enjoy `treat` now and then and it`s okay to have some of these foods now and then as an extra. You can have them

occasionally as long as you have had your daily quota of lean meat, dairy, fruits, vegetables and cereals. Cutting back on takeaway foods will help reduce your salt & sugar intake.

1. Try to make a sesible choice as often as possible. Some fast foods can have relatively low levels of fat & salt.

2. It`s possible to eat junk & smart at the same time. For example, have pizzas with less cheese and meat, grilled chicken

and fish, grilled fish burgers. Team these with lemonade or iced tea instead if colas.

Edited by Starluv (see edit history)

Once you get used to making good choices and eating good foods, it becomes easier both as a habit and in terms of your cravings. I've found that by elminating junk food from my diet, I don't even want it anymore. It's really strange considering I used to be practically addicted to the stuff. "Real" food has so many more benefits than the nutritionless, processed junk that makes up so much of a typical person's diet.

I've always felt that being obese and all has nothing to do with what you eat, but rather by your physical conditions. For example, in the army, when in the field you will eat MRE's. These each have ~7500 calories. You will eat 3 a day. But yet you will still lose weight. Why? Because you are active.The health issues and all come from the lack of being active, not so much due to what you eat. There are of course some things that you must eat to stay "healthy," however it is not as important.

Once you get used to making good choices and eating good foods, it becomes easier both as a habit and in terms of your cravings. I've found that by elminating junk food from my diet, I don't even want it anymore. It's really strange considering I used to be practically addicted to the stuff. "Real" food has so many more benefits than the nutritionless, processed junk that makes up so much of a typical person's diet.

LOLOL, I do believe if I was stranded on a desert island for 10 years and lived on fish and coconuts, the first thing I would ask for when I was rescued would be a greasy spoon cheeseburger and french fries! And a bag of potato chips!!! I LOVE potato chips and fries. I seriously doubt I would ever loose my cravings for them.

Chinese tea and green tea are great for detoxification too. And they help you digest oily food better.

Chinese tea and green tea are great for detoxification too. And they help you digest oily food better.

Hmm, do you mean that oily food will be more easily absorbed? Meaning more fat coming into my blood stream? :)