xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Saint_Michael

The Ultimate $30,904.76 Computer! and no its not a Mac Pro Either

There is a contest right now for this computer, and I have to say that this beats the $20,000+ Mac Pro computer by a whole lot in terms of hardware, software, and other stuff :P Also I providing links to all the stuff just in case someone wants to buy the parts seperately and junk

⢠GIGABYTE 3D Mercury GZ-FW1CA-AJS Silver Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case â $399

⢠Custom Case Painting by Gary Berg - $1500

⢠OCZ ProXStream 100 watt power supply - $299.99

⢠2 Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9775 Processors - $2600

⢠ "Skulltrail" dual-CPU Motherboard - $500

⢠4 2GB FB-DIMM - $500

⢠2 EVGA GeForce 8800 Ultra Video Card - $1259.98

⢠2 OCZ 64GB internal solid state disks (SSD) - $3,000.00

⢠Adaptec RAID 3405 adapter card - $390

⢠4 Cheetah� 15K.5 SAS 3Gb/s 300-GB Hard Drives - ST3300655SS - $3,931.20

⢠2 LG Super Multi GGW-H10NI BD burner HD DVD reader - $1,999.98

⢠Ultra Internal 3.5" Floppy Drive w/Multi Card Reader Black - $29.99

⢠Cables Unlimited UV Reactive Mode Kit with Dual Tube UV CCFL Lights, Fans, Floppy Cable and ATA133 Cable - $26.99

⢠Vantec UV Reactive Motherboard Slot Protector - Green - $4.99 (PCIe)

⢠Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1800 PCIe NTSC/ATSC/QAM tuner - $149

⢠Emu 1616M PCI Sound card and breakout box (studio quality inputs and A/D, D/A, surround via digital) - $599

Display

⢠3 NEC LCD2490WUXi-BK 24.1" Widescreen LCD Monitor - $3,866.97

⢠Three monitor mounting system from 9xmedia - $1000

External Peripherals and Components

⢠Iomega UltraMax Pro eSATA 1.5TB - $504

⢠APC Back-UPS RS 1500VA LCD â 249.95

⢠Logitech diNovo Edge Keyboard - $199.99

⢠Logitech MX AirTM Rechargeable Cordless Air Mouse - $149.99

⢠Logitech Z-5500 THX Certified 5.1 500-watt Dolby Digital & DTS Hardware Decoding Speaker System - 209.99

⢠Canon Pixma MP970 Printer - $299.99

⢠Icemat Siberia Headphones/mic - $79

⢠Saitek X2 Flight control system - $119.95

⢠Xbox 360 Gamepad controller - $39.95

Software

⢠Microsoft Office Ultimate 2007 - $629.99

⢠Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate 64 - $379

⢠Microsoft Windows XP SP2 - $249.99

⢠Adobe Master Collection CS3 - $2,750.99

⢠EA Crysis - $49.99

⢠Microsoft Flight Simulator X Deluxe - $59.99

⢠Call of Duty 4 - $59.99

⢠Half Life 2: Orange Box - $61.99

⢠Battlefield 2142 Deluxe Edition - $30.99

⢠Kaspersky Internet Security 7.0 - 73.99

⢠System Commander 9 - $69.95

⢠Acronis True Image Home $49.95

Miscellaneous

⢠OCZ Freeze Thermal Compound - $5.99

⢠Labor for building and troubleshooting -- 100 hrs at $50/hr - $5,000

TOTAL ESTIMATED RETAIL VALUE: $30,904.76

For the most part I drop the games since I don't play PC games, and I would unplugged 2 of the hard drives since 600GB is a lot to fill up even though you have Vista Ultimate and Adobe Master Collection taking up a HUGE!! portion of that first hard drive though. Either way I don't think I would even set this computer up and just keep it in the box just because of the hardware that is involved and the fact that it is a tri-monitor set up as well. So I will break this down as best as I can based on my knowledge of computer hardware and junk.

Case

Built in Water cooling system, oh my god, that would save people the headaches of trying to patch one together. If you look at the picture I would say this is like the ultimate computer case and not caring that its plain white either.

Power Supply

I think they ment 1000W power supply because a 100 power supply would just blow up to all that hardware power right now, but of course even I think 1000w isn't even enough for what they are offering, I wonder if you can set up a dual power supply in someway.

Processor, Motherboard, RAM

Ok first why bother dropping two dual cores when you could drop a quad core or the fabled 8-core processor into this, but thats after seeing the specs for this brand new processor, and I say FREAKN SWEET! Of course you need to have a matching motherboard to go
with it, and it also supports this dual CPU set up as well which is interesting in itself. Of course when your dropping 8 gigs of real specific RAM into this computer I would say that this would rival computers that monitor satellite systems and junk. Of course the motherboard can support up to 8 cores which means that you would get a very ultra fast system without any lag whatsoever, because of the fact this motherboard is server base meaning that you oculd run a large scale computer server on this thing with no problems of lag.

Graphics Card

I will say this though I am somewhat disappointed that they didn't drop any 9000 series graphics cards, but of course 8800 series is still top of the line, especially since the motherboard can support SLI because of the Nvidia support as well.

SSD

With what I know about solid state disks, a person wouldn't have ot wait for a mear 2 seconds for this computer to boot up, and since SSD is still relatively new. In which I am referring to the fact it would cost about $15 a gb to own one of these and right now the biggest SSD is 1.6TB, and so that SSD if I got this right a cool $240,000 to have. However, I say 5-10 years expect that price to drop as the computer industry starts converting to this technology.

RAID

As I mentioned earlier I would drop bigger hard drives in because with RAID support in this computer, I could spread out the computer's resources more, and maybe help reduce the lag Vista is known for. Especially since they are using Vista Ultimate here the SXS will be needing a lot of room to work with in order to get a smooth running of vista.

Hard Drive

Ok now I retract everything I said about replacing the hard drives with something bigger after looking at what these hard drives are packing. Still though I would rather pack in a bit more into the hard drive besides speed, but I guess I would have to see the system in action in order to get a better opinion about it. OF course a thought occured to me on the way home and that even at 10,000 RPM's I highly doubt you would see any difference, but I would think you would see a slight difference with a hard drive at 7200 RPM's though.

DVD/CD Floppy Drives

Well first off now that Blu-Ray has won the war these drives would be very important to have in storing, movies, videos and other multimedia stuff, and interestingly enough it has HD DVD support as well so it's the best of both worlds in DVD formatting.
As for the floppy drive I don't really see the need for one although this floppy drive comes with several technologies (SmartMedia, MultiMedia Cards, MicroDrive, CompactFlash, MemoryStick, SecureDigital Cards and floppy diskettes). Now to figure how to use all that stuff now.

Mother Board Protection

Interesting idea to cover up what isn't used with the motherboard with it's own dust protectors, but I would think the heat that get's generated by this computer would melt them on to the motherboard itself though.

Tuner Card

Well with a Tri-Monitor system I can watch TV on one monitor and use the others for computer related things. Either way I think that piece would go to waste as I wouldn't want my system to be connected to the TV cable for some reason.

Sound System

Who want to buy my DVD player, thats how bad this sound system looks right now.

Monitors

Remember that ultimate computer furniture topic I made last week? Well you will need that to work this system properly although I think you would have to make some customizations in order to fit these behemoth's together properly.

External Hardware

Well I start with the EHD, and I have to say is that desk of yours has to be huge or rather the area around your desk because you will need it on top with the baack up power supply. Which I think is a bit excessive especially since the back up power supply is huge in itself. As for the keyboard I rather have the all LED keyboard for $1500 just to make it more high tech. As for the mouse it looks nice but really though why spend $150 for a mouse? As for the rest of the external hardware I don't see to many problems with it, I wish I could get my Star Wars Tie Fighter Game to work and I be happy.

Software

Like I mentioned before I don't want the games just because I never got into PC games that much, most likely I sell those off along with hte controllers and stuff. As for everything else I got my drool bucker ready if I do win this computer (ahahahaha).

Labor
I do question the labor though just because it would seem that it would take at least 20 hours to get the hardware installed, and at least 10 hours to get the OS's installed to dual boot, and about 5 hours to get everything else installed. Of course since most of this hardware is brand spanking new, as in just coming out new, I would add maybe 5 more hours to setting that happen. So yeah I would think it would take less then that, but of course I am not complaining since this is going to be built already for me to go nuts over.

Overall

I would say there are some things I could change out or not have at all, but since it's a free computer (I think), WHO CARES! :P

Edited by OpaQue (see edit history)

Heck why don't I buy everyone one instead, all I need is every to donate money to cover the $124,777,968.50 tab :P, and yeah if I had this I wouldn't even connect it to the internet I leave it as is I only watch movies and maybe do some designing on it :P.

wow, that's sweet, where is this contest and what type of contest is it? I think I would totatly trade my car in for that, i'll take the bus and/or just use this beast for the rest of my life. I've been wanting a laptop that can handle the next couple years of games, but this is rediculous, but I've also always wanted a water cooled system, lol.

In Indian rupees it sums up to 1,236,190.4 nearly 4 times my annual salary :P
I'll definitely go for one such a machine (beast) in the near future.

WhoA! I will put 100,000 INR more and get Honda Civic :-)

The only reason I would not want to invest so much in a PC is because of new technologies stepping in the market day by day. By the end of a year, if you compare the price difference between the same equipment, you will find a heck load of a difference.

Man, if the Bill Gates Foundation could donate that much to the OLPC project...
But what is that much good for? I mean, come on. You're going to pay the price of a top-of-the-line SUV to get a computer. Get a life.

lmao sure thats a good point. But come on we all know if we had the $$$ we would sooo buy it. I would

that would be so sweet.

Actually thinking about it that pc is pish it aint got jack on mine :( ye ye i wish <_<

i don't even think that would be that fasti've read stuff on toms hardware about the skulltrail being terrible, almost slower than a singular quad core.and what fun would water cooling be if it was already done for you?we had a contest like this once in my computer hardware class... suddenly $15k printers seem really popular heh--edit--i just remembered that skulltrail only supports crossfire anyways so sli wouldn't even work.

Edited by awesomebill61 (see edit history)