xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Saint_Michael

Microsoft Embraces Open Source

***waits for everyone to recover from the shock**

I have to say that is pretty big news and I smell some big stock jumping in the tech industry on that. We all remember that last year Microsoft was ready to go to war by suing anyone associated with Linux, and of course their war with the EU on the use of open source software. So what are their plans well first they are going to provide over 30,000 files related to their software, or more specifically Windows client and server to the MSDN group, and they will no longer try to sue the open source community. They will also publish many documents for it's API's in the following software: Windows Vista (including the .NET Framework), Windows Server 2008, SQL Server 2008, Office 2007, Exchange Server 2007 and Office SharePoint Server 2007. On top of that they will not require anyone to pay royalties on this info either which is even better for those who want to develop on the windows platform and such.

Microsoft also plans to develop API's for it's Office suites as well, and not to break to far off topic I am glad I got office 2007, yeah the interface takes time to get use to and setting it up properly but it's worth it though. As the added features make up for that ugly interface, but anyways I am still recovering from the shock that Microsoft did this and wonders how many new programs will becoming out this year based on windows and open source technologies.

SOURCE

smart move, I think this way they can retain and gain more windows users as more software will like me made for windows. I think they only decided this because it had some benefit to them. It will be interesting to see how this turns out, I cant wait.

As a long term, reluctant user, and enthusiastic hater of microsoft i am in fact pleased at this news....However, do we really trust MS? Who says this source code hasnt been edited to remove any parts they didnt want us to know about? MS remind me a lot of the UK and US Governments (also off topic.. the government expect us to trust them with our money after nationalizing the northern rock bank? Thats like MS setting up a bank...)However i guess the real test comes if someone were to compile the code into whatever it should be and check it out. I would be very pleased to see MS go open source, at least partly. I accept that a company has to make money, but i still feel MS charge way too much....Maybe some free software, even a free version of office with a few limitations (like taking off advanced settings so that students and basic home users can use it but requiring a licence for business use)Its a good move but i want to see how and where this goes before i give praise to MS. There is obviously a motive to this and it isnt morals. Perhaps they are trying to undermine the unix/linux and other open source companies like Mozilla to gain more market domination and then not release the source of later versions of software.......We will see.

I would be a bit dissapointed, though, if i were a company who previously purchased a trade-secret license in order to use one of these protocols, assuming my company were giving away the software it made for free.

Microsoft will not require developers to license or pay royalties for this information, the company said.

I was wondering about that. I would have assumed that they would charge for the ability to view the source.

Microsoft also is providing a covenant not to sue open-source developers for development or non-commercial distribution of implementations of these protocols ...

Heh, of course. Suing them would ruin the purpose of open-sourcing the programs, and would only make Microsoft look bad. It's like waving the code in front of them and saying, "Haha, you can't use this."

However, companies that want to commercially distribute implementations of the protocols still must obtain a patent license from Microsoft, it said.

Ah, that sounds more like Microsoft. But i don't see Microsoft making any income from a lot, if not all, of open-source developers.

As a long term, reluctant user, and enthusiastic hater of microsoft i am in fact pleased at this news....

I completely hear you on that, as I program for the windows platform I'm forced to run windows myself (I program games, so I can't exactly hope to get customers on other systems in mass). As for open source from Microsoft, I am completely impressed and hope that some good comes from it.

Wow... This is a really good and smart move. I was skeptical about getting the new sony ericsson xperia 1 when it comes out because it would have windows mobile and I sort of felt like it would be lacking in 3rd party apps or that I would have to pay a bunch for them... guess not, though I will still have to wait and see the google phones that will also be coming out this summer. This all sounds really good. Nice move MS

Microsoft is bowing to the pressure of the Open-Source community. That's not by will but because of environment and licensing still exists for corporates. Microsoft clearly sees the threat posed by the Open-Source world. This move is aimed at bringing more developers to the Windows platform from the Open-Source arena.It will be interesting to see, What Next?