xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
saitunes

Website Bandwidth...

I have a question, and I couldn't post it in the internet forums, because im a new user....my question is this:If i embed a video into my website, and people visit my website and watch the embeded video, is that counted in your bandwidth?I can think of reasons both for and against... or is it depending upon your provider?

Well the bandwidth of a website includes anything that is downloaded by the user, so even by viewing a page a user is using your bandwidth. So as far as i know a user viewing a video does count towards your BW usage.Thats assuming i understood rightly.

As Shadowx told all the files downloaded from your web space is counted against bandwidth. So if any image or video or text is there in your site then to view it it should be downloaded to the viewer's computer, which means your bandwidth is used.An alternate option to save your Bandwidth is to put your video in youtube and put a link in your site.

for the poster above that is off topic and really who uses geocities free service anymore? Anyways the actual embed of the video will only use bandwidth base on the size of the document, however, to really use up bandwidth you would need to have the video in your hosting account. Which means you will use bandwidth when you upload the videos and you will use bandwidth every time someone watches the video, and so it is recommend to use a video service like youtube. As you are doing two things; first your saving hosting space on your account because videos are pretty big files, and two your saving bandwidth.

This what you do, Do not upload any videos to your site. Instead upload videos to places like youtube, and embed them to your website. It will save valuable bw, as to uploading it to your hosting account.

The only reason I asked this was because i asked a friend and he wasn't too sure, the thought as long as the embedded video wasn't hosted on your site, then it shouldn't count towards your bandwidth. Thanks guys and girls.

Yea, as far as I know, if the video is hosted elsewhere on a site like YouTube, then it shouldn't be using your bandwidth. It will still use some bandwidth to load the rest of the elements on the page, but the video itself is streaming from somewhere else and uses the other site's bandwidth. Sites like YouTube allow people to embed their videos elsewhere, so you don't have to worry about stealing other people's bandwidth because they want you too.

As was said before, the bandwidth is taken from the site actually hosting the file. So if you embed a video from another site, anytime a user buffers and plays the video, the bandwidth (for the video) is taken from the original host, not your site.