xisto Community
OpaQue

Network Outage. Distribution Switch Ddosed. Lesson Learnt

The Distribution Switch to which our network is connected was DDOSed causing a partial network failure. The entire downtime was reduced due to our DNS shift in Dec 2007.

We regret to inform that today at about 11 AM IST, We started experiencing a network lag. By 12.30 PM IST, the network was down partially with most of our servers affected except Zeta and Mu. By 1.00 PM IST, the entire network had gone down and was recovered slowly by 2.00 PM IST. By 2:30 IST, the network was completely recovered and all servers were operating smoothly.

FULL STORY: https://support.xisto.com/index.php?_m=ns&newsid=11

I have to say WOW! Which makes me wonder if the servers just bottlenecked themselves because of the huge amounts of BW that get used on a daily basis and then it just pop its cork and needed to rest. I wonder if they caught the DDOS attack soon enough, but with what I saw last night when it happen and what you told me I doubt they did. I know some bad weather has been happening the last few weeks all over the place and I could say that maybe it got too cold for the servers, but that is highly unlikely since the heat that gets generated would make it impossible to get below 0 in temperature.Should be interesting if they find anything in the next week or so because their had to be a reason for the outage that happen. As for that migration you talked about I would almost believe that their will be a surge in paid hosting to help cover the costs and what not, because the way you mention expensive sounds like what I wish I could make in a day.

Yeah I knew something was wrong, because I wasn't able to access my site, nor Xisto. But, I didn't care too much because it was late and I pretty tired. Plus, I knew that it would've been fixed pretty quickly.

Edited by bk2070 (see edit history)

I havn't experinced any lag going on any Xisto related web pages. Strange, I must of missed it.

It was at midnight EST time, which is good so not many people may have felt it.

Im just wondering if any of this would affect the MYSQL server, for some reason my site is showing error message "Database Error: Unable to connect to the database:Could not connect to MySQL"

Well the outage xisto had everything would be down, and as for your problem it oculd be some after effects of this outage since it happen a day and a half ago. Like I mention in the other topic I would say be prepared for this just in case it happens again.

Hmm I didn't experience any lag or problem with sites hosted on Xisto, it looks like you use very good speed, hardware and connection shaping. And I'm happy to see that you react and immediately buy better switches which protect all sites from DDOS's.Having gone trough the trouble of an DDOS with a friend of mine, I can tell you that it is very difficult to fix an issue like that in this short time.

Luckily, this happened at a time when most people probably didn't experience many difficulties. Well, that is to say, those in the United States probably didn't. I know I didn't notice anything because it was at such obscure hours in my timezone. Also, even if it had been during more regular hours, my website isn't fully up yet, so I don't have too much to worry about yet :P But I'm glad to see that Xisto, or the entire Xisto network I suppose, has everything under such outstanding control that a DDOS attack caused so little damage and was recovered from so quickly. Props! I feel like my website is safe :P Keep up the great work, and thanks for being awesome!

My website did go down on the 17th of Feburary, I did notice. But I thought nothing of it because my website has been rather glitchy recently and I thought maybe it'd come back later. I don't even remember if it was around this time I first noticed it was down.But thanks for telling us this. I posted a news article on my website to explain the outage, and linked to this article, so now people should know what happened.

Good news , because i read an article posted in this forum telling that the SQL server doesn't go well , so i decided to not host until you repare the problem .Now i 'll continue collecting the points or credits needed to host a premium account without ads..

I've had all sorts of problems with my account. I got the "unable to connect to database" error, timeouts, php not working, server not found errors. Seems to be working fine for now though.