xisto Community
gisellebebegirl

Schools Checking Myspaces

Regardless of whether or not they have the right to look at it, your still providing it.

Exactly how America will become a police state with nobody even realizing it, expect a few.

Invasion of Privacy. That depends if you put your photos and so forth in the public domain, for example if you enabled your myspace profile for everyone to read and see, then thats not a invasion of privacy. You've released your photos and your blog out to the public domain.However, if you enabled your myspace blog to friends or invite only. Then they have a point, since access to the blog and/or photo sites are only to be restricted to your friends and/or site administrators that can look at it. Unauthorised eyes on a "private" blog, however may have a case of "invasion of privacy".

i think schools should definately not check myspace profiles. i mean that is completely unrelated to teaching which is what they are meant to spend there time doing. students can say what ever they like on myspace - well almost anything. they can say that their teacher is crap and the school is dump and the school can't do anything about that.

This was on Dayton daily news
Personnaly, i dont use myspace. But it can be set to "freind only" or whatever right? just dont accept them as freinds

Potential schools check Facebook, MySpace pages
By Dave Larsen

Staff Writer

Sunday, January 04, 2009

DAYTON — Students applying for college should put their best face forward on Facebook and MySpace pages.

"Last year, we had a number of students who had posted some things that were not in the best interest of the university, nor did we think it was valuable to have that type of student on campus," said Rob Durkle, University of Dayton assistant vice president and dean of admissions.

UD admissions officials don't actively check social networking Web sites, Durkle said. However, they will look at pages that are brought to their attention, such as in the case of a concerned parent of a potential roommate.

"Where we are aware of it and if we think it's detrimental to either our students or it's not the type of thing we want to condone on campus, we could go back and reverse our decision and say to the student: 'We're rescinding our offer of admission,' " he said.

Ohio State University does not routinely look at Facebook, said Mabel Freeman, assistant vice president for undergraduate admissions. "Now when we go to hire students, we do," Freeman said.

Miami University does not check students' Facebook or MySpace pages, said Laurie Koehler, director of admissions. "But employers do, so we encourage students to be thoughtful about what they might post, because it never goes away," Koehler said.

Notice from truefusion:
All copied material must be placed within QUOTE bbcode.

I heard that Myspace is having problems seeing the popularity of Facebook growing on. :lol: Yes I liked myspace for some things, but I never registered and I think it is a place where teenagers tent to see their music idols and where musicians try to make marketing and get famous in a free and cheap way. Though very successful social network in America and USA, but not in Europe. I think Facebook rules, in my country and over the world. I see facebook continueing to grow on popularity through the the best webmaster/toolbar Alexa site and I see no track of Myspace in the top-ten chart of Alexa. In my opinion it is not a good thing to check others privacy and or use your profile data on Myscpave as a CV for a job. It is very surprising to hear that. Is it maybe a marketing method used by Myscape chief border to reach their audience after the big fall??

As for employers looking at myspace... I highly doubt this. Myspace is for teenagers, and anyone over the age of 20 who has myspacve should be banned from the internet for eternity. Not only that but employers really couldn't care less about myspace or your personal life so long as you behave in the workplace!

That is completely load of crap. Myspace is a social networking site. Basically same thing as Facebook, and all the others. I for one have a Facebook, and I am 19, almost 20, my sister has a facebook, and she is 27. It isn't aimed for teenagers with nothing better to do, it is aimed at people in college, maybe even high school trying to keep in touch with people they went to school with. My facebook has kept me intouch with numerous people I have gone to school with, in which before I would have no idea of how to contact them since I have changed cell phone numbers, and they have moved. How else would I be able to feel good about moving and still keeping in touch with my friends? It is hard, people under the age of 18 using it is kind of pointless, because it just starts drama, unless you are using it to keep in touch with family members et cetera.

Second part of your small little paragraph I quoted there, says you think that employers don't care about personal life as long as you behave in the workplace. This makes me question you ever having a job? Because really, that is very untrue. Employers do care, and I have been asked before if they could see it, the whole interview won't be based on it, but they do care about you and what you behave like outside of school, or outside of the workplace, because that will most likely come out one time or another in the workplace. Your grades, those matter, as it shows your commitment, your friends matter, as it shows your interests.

I don't see where you would think it wouldn't matter when it comes to your personal life and employers, because they aren't hiring you for your best work, they are hiring you on what your lowest quality of work could/might be, because nobody can expect your best work all the time, and your personal life is where that especially is shown.

As to this actual topic, I believe it is somewhat invasion of privacy, however they don't have oto much power over you outside of school, only part where this could come in is if they do find illegal activity going on, and they notify the police. Just remember, you can set your profiles to only friends viewable, and remember that you don't have to add them as a friend if the school tries to add you! They probably won't add you as a friend, and they probably won't look you up unless there is speculation on illegal activity and facebook/myspace may be the cause. The reason why they won't base everything off your facebook/myspace though is because anybody can make a facebook for you, or a myspace under your name. So it isn't very secure in that way.

I do know from first hand, employers may and sometimes will ask for your facebook/myspace page. It is kind of like a criminal and grade check on you, which most employers do too. It shows exactly what your like in a casual setting, and how you will present yourself. People can fake an interview, but nobody can fake a whole lifetime of casual occassions that you may encounter.