xisto Community
GrinningKittie

Can You Read In Your Dreams? Another hidden talent discussed here?

We cannot read in our dreams. What we see and read just make us feel as if we know what we are reading. But in actual it is something scrambled. For e.g. if you see a sign post, your brain has already told you that it is a sign post with a certain direction and miles written on it. When you look at it closely you think you can see "Houston - 34 miles ahead". but in actuall there is just something that look scrambled fonts or scrambled letters but your brain makes you feel..."Ah i've read and now i know Houston is not that far after all"... you you can never "read" the actual alphabets. You maybe able to "understand" what they're saying. But you still cant "READ" them.

I jsut got finished reading 12 books (the dresden files 1-12) over the past week and a half, the last two days I have had dreams where I'm reading a page in the book and I could get small glimpses of what i was reading about, I know I could see the page and everything but I don't think i was actually reading the words it was more like I was my own narrator and the only words that stood out were the words thomas and molly non of the words were blurred or anything

Okay so the topic is pretty straight forward. "Can you read in your dreams?"So what brings this topic up? I heard recently that when you are asleep and in dream land, that it is supposed to be impossible for you to actually read anything intelligible ( like signs or instructions). It has something to do with the different parts of the brain and how they are functioning when you hit sleep mode. Anyways I found this really confusing because part of my problems in figuring out whether I am asleep or awake sometimes is that I can read in my sleep and it's regular words (much like I am typing and you are reading right now) as opposed to some strange gibberish.

So can you read in your dreams or are you stuck with some strange version of written dream language?

okay i have done some investigating myself prior to reading this post.
i have tried reading books in my dreams but i noticed that the words changed as i came to read long sentences and words started to not make sence.
it annoyed me and it made me wake up most of the time.
i'm not a big reader but i did read in my dreams.
i think it is only limited to small and/or strong words.
i think the theory about diffirent parts of the brain being used is right.
trying to read made me feel a weird sensation and i felt i was thinking to hard to dream.
it's always nice to see there is mostly always something somewhere on the internet about what you're looking for

I looked up lucid dreaming a few minutes ago and im going to try it tonight, however I read also that while dreaming lucidly; reading is damn near immposible "the text is constantly changing" as someone said. Why is this? Well to find out if I am having my first lucid dream I set up some books open and papers with writing, if I can read them Im awake or dreaming and they can be read. If they cant I know for sure im dreaming.Wish me luck on my 1st lucid dream :D

I have read in my dream 100% but I've read my name and numbers..... I think its not so much of reading ones doing. I believe its recognizing certain phrases and or patterns in the dream. Lucid or not lucid

Early this morning I dreamed that I was on a work trip with my husband. While my husband was stuck in business meetings I got to explore the town (which I believe was New York). This actual scenario happened last fall in real life. In my dream I got delayed and couldn't get back to the hotel to meet him. I actually was going to have to sleep over at another location because the streets were not safe to walk after dark. (I am not used to subways and taxis so walking was the only form of travel I was given as an option in my dream). I tried to call him using my cell phone but could not reach him. So I tried to send him a text message. Over and over I tried to write a message to him. Each time I finished I would read back through to see if the message would make sense. I was frustrated over and over finding that the message I was trying to get out was not being portrayed in the message. Bits and pieces would make sense. I could read some words...usually short words (aka "sight" words) or words that I had read prior to going to bed last night. I have been researching a gallbladder surgery I may be facing. So words like "gallbladder" or "bilirubin" would show up in my text messages. I find that all the words I used in the text messages I was able to visualize in my "mind's eye". I've heard that dreaming comes from the right side of the brain (creativity and visualization central)...so using words I can "visualize" make sense. I could not write anything that made much sense I'm guessing because the left side of my brain (logic and mathematical central) wouldn't participate in step with the right side of my brain. I got "stuck" in this dream unable to wake until I finally gave up writing the message.

It's interesting that so many people consider this a gray area because I'd noticed that I've been able to read in dreams long ago. My most recent example of this is kind of confusing.I was handed (by a "ghost") a box of letters, all of them congratulating me. For what was unspecified, but on the cover of every envelope was "Congratulations!"Not long after, the girl gave me a book, flipped open to a certain page. I've never heard of this kind of book existing before but it was a book of English Dialects, explaining the different accents of different kinds of english; the particular page went through names like "Daddy, Daddeh, Daday..." And Mother as well. While I was reading it, I could hear a man with a THICK Scottish accent saying things completely unrelated.Strange dreams are strange... I have lucid dreamed before, but never with so much detail.

I HAD A GREAT DREAM ONCE WHERE GOD OR AN ANGEL WAS SPEAKING TO ME ( HAN ON FOLKS) & NOT ONLY COULD I READ BUT WHat he was telling me could,nt be spoken outloud, so he showed me in subtitles. right?! subtitles, in my own dream! VERY COOL THOUGH...jami

I too have had cases when I started to read in my dreams, those incidents would occur before my exams and my brain was all overloaded with stuff that I needed to study and I carried it all in my sleep also. The language that I would dream in was mostly English and I actually never felt that I was dreaming, because the reading used to be absolutely smooth.Nowadays, I hardly get to sleep dreams at all, because I am so tired after coming back from work that I fall into a sound sleep absolutely effortlessly.