xisto Community
alex1985

Hosting Credits? Novice

Hello, everyone! Let me understand how it does work.Let's say I will earn 30 credits then I will order the package for 500 MB's.How long it does last? If it's for month, so I have to make posts the next month in order to continue my hosted site.If I'm wrong please correct me. Or write something that I need to know as I begginer.

No, when you apply and receive your account, the account will be re-set to about 1 credit, which means you have to continue posting immediately to earn the credits to maintain your account. Once you have your account, the scripting continues to deduct credits at the rate of 1 credit per day. You can, of course, accumulate credits to avoid posting each day, (example: earn 10 credits and you don't need to post for 10 days). The responsibility is on you to make certain that your account always stays in the positive. there is more information available in the Xisto Readme.

With your hosting account you are given a free subdomain, in the form http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/. Of course, you can have any subdomain that is not already in use by another member here at Xisto.

There is also the possibility to get a free top level domain name. Once you have your hosting account, and you store up over 250 credits, you can 'spend' 250 of your credits on a top level domain (.COM, .NET, .ORG, etc.). Those 250 credits will give you that domain for one year. After a year you would have to spend another 250 credits for the next year.

Alternatively, you can buy a domain name, either from Xisto (the company which owns Xisto) or any other registrar. That can cost anything in the region of around Ł2 per year up to Ł30 per year.

Also, as a side note, .RU is not a top level domain. It is known a ccTLD - a country code top level domain. ccTLDs can usually only be registered with a registrar that is signed up with the company managing that country's domains (for example, Nominet in the UK). As Xisto is based in the US, it would not be able to register a .RU address for you.

No, when you apply and receive your account, the account will be re-set to about 1 credit,

From what I remember, I had about 40 credits before I applied to the 30 credit package.... after it was accepted, I had ten left... so really... you could save up a crap-load... and then get the 30 cred package......... and have a nice little cushion...

tricky77puzzle's reply more accurately reflects the handling of account Credits on Hosting Approval.

I like to remind members old and new that thread hijacking (member posting their situation or going off topic) is a no no, though you won't technically get warn but it do it enough times and it becomes a problem. Also a friendly remind that the Xisto Read Me contains all your answers to questions you might have. Also another friendly reminder before posting check the forums because most questions you might have are spread through the forum, usually you just have to check the first three pages of the forums for questions relating to Xisto and its hosting.

For hosting credit questions I would recommend reading these two topics (#1) (#2), and in a nutshell 10 and 30 credits is how many you need to get the hosting plan, and afterwards you have to keep on post to build up your credits. 1 hosting credit equals one day, and your not limited to how many you can have and so the longer your posts the more you will receive. Also if you go past 10 or 30 credits when you apply for your hosting those will be lost and you will be reduce from 2-4 credits (I think the admin need the clarify that since numbers keep bouncing around), and so it would be wise to get 10-12 credits for the first package 30-32 credits for the second pack so you won't lose to many. Of course you have to make sure your posts are at least 3-4 sentences long, are contributive, and are not one word posts like hi or yes. Unfortunately I would disregard KansukeKojima's post about saving a lot of credits unless your trying o get a free domain which I will explain next.

As for the domain questions you will get a .trap17.com sub-domain meaning it will look like this yoursite.trap17.com, Cpanel software is set up that you can park or add on Top Level Domains (TLD) without the need to purchase paid hosting. As for getting a free domain you need to have 250 credits if your already hosted or 280 if your not hosted as that will set up your hosting account and give your a free domain as well. Though that is a lot of credits it shouldn't matter if your posts are long and plentiful. To read more about getting a free domain and how to set it up read this topic here, and right now Xisto only offers .coms .nets and .orgs though this which means no other domains are accept at this time through the free domain system.

I read somewhere that we get to keep the excess amount of credits even after we have requested the hosting plan. Say, I have 100 credits and requested the 30 credits plan, after account activation I get to keep 70.But I found out this isn't the case. I came back here just to look for that exact thread but couldn't find it anywhere. My thanks goes to whoever that member is for posting such misleading information. As a result I lost over 60 credits, *blink* and gone, just like that. I don't blame anyone though, because it's pretty easy to get a hosting here. Ah well. Better get to posting then.